Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Plastic gear diffs what do you use inside them?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Plastic gear diffs what do you use inside them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic gear diffs what do you use inside them?

As the title says what do you use in plastic gear diffs such as in the dromida and wltoys a9X9 series. Do you use grease or diff fluid? Please post product names, descriptions (Oil weight or grease name) and what you use them in.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 AM
vinmansbrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a thin coating of grease. Small cars do not do well with thick junk they don't need. These small motors cant really take all the drag, even with a heatsink. As long as it is plastic safe, all you really need is a very thin coating on the gears. Right now I use a losi smart diff lube and it is super sticky. When I get some, I'll be switching to associated diff lube.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:17 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Igottabeme
As the title says what do you use in plastic gear diffs such as in the dromida and wltoys a9X9 series. Do you use grease or diff fluid? Please post product names, descriptions (Oil weight or grease name) and what you use them in.
Not sealed, you should use grease. I've used Lucas Oil Red 'N' Tacky, Associated Black Grease, Marine Grease, and currently using Maxima Grease for most of my geared diffs and stuff around the house.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-14-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
vinmansbrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only real important thing is that it is safe for plastic, just keep that in mind.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses. I know the diffs are not sealed. I have heard and seen people use thick diff fluid in the diffs. The diffs in the dromidas and the a9X9 series come with looks to be clear grease. I would like to use the same stuff they use but do not know exactly what they use. It looks like associated silicone grease. I know the thicker the grease or heavier the fluid will slow the diff action. I just want to know what sticks best, does not make a mess, does not stain the plastic or retard the diff action. There are lots of rcs that come with plastic diffs and after a number of runs the diffs should be cleaned out and refilled or gears will get worn out and fail. I hope this thread helps anybody that may have the same question.