Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

sUAS News

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sUAS News

Some recent headline posted here with permission of the hosting website.

NASA will test a drone traffic management system in two U.S. cities starting this March. Link

In order to offer young pilots more avenues of entry into drone-related careers, colleges and high schools have begun to add unmanned aerial systems (UAS) courses to their curriculum. Link 1 Link 2

Thousands of people from the unmanned systems community will gather this spring at the AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 conference and trade show. Link

A Part 107 pilot who was handcuffed and ticketed for operating his drone in a Michigan park shares his story on the latest episode of the Drone Law Pro Radio podcast. Link

I found the NASA article of particular interest. In it is a link to a list of all the partners NASA is working with for this Unmanned Traffic Management system. Strangely the AMA is absent from the list. Working for us again I see. NASA Partner List

Also interesting is the way "Drones" seem to making their way into the education system far deeper, fast and in greater numbers than anything the AMA has sponsored. Go figure!

Last edited by Appowner; 02-23-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could 'Toy' Drones Ground Commercial UAS Sector?

In part reads:

"In the traditional world of aviation, users of the country’s shared airspace tend to appreciate the importance of carefully observing all of the different ways in which our airspace is officially delineated, subdivided and categorized. Tax attorneys learn the tax code. True aviation stakeholders know to study and follow FAA regulations. But it is clear that among the thousands of regular folks who buy drones every year, a significant percentage are either unwilling or unable to follow the FAA’s complex rules."

"My best guess is that today’s relatively freewheeling approach to recreational or hobbyist usage will give way to a world in which all UAS operators must obtain and maintain FAA certification. This will not be an 'open book' online test: Fed up with chaos in the skies, the FAA will require all UAS operators to demonstrate actual proficiency in flying these aircraft and to pass written tests proving their ability to understand and follow the rules for safe operation of drones in our joint airspace."

https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraf...ial-uas-sector

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-23-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM
Appowner
Banned

Bottom line here is, even for recreational hobbyists, the community is going to have to get smarter and more involved with Federal Regulations in order to play with their toys. And the excuse of not knowing isn't going to be accepted any longer.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:46 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Appowner
Bottom line here is, even for recreational hobbyists, the community is going to have to get smarter and more involved with Federal Regulations in order to play with their toys. And the excuse of not knowing isn't going to be accepted any longer.
Another question will be how much longer can AMA take a "hands off" attitude toward holding its clubs and members accountable for following the FARs? I think it hurts their credibility with other aviation stakeholders ... but what do I know?
Old 02-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Another question will be how much longer can AMA take a "hands off" attitude toward holding its clubs and members accountable for following the FARs? I think it hurts their credibility with other aviation stakeholders ... but what do I know?
I can't help but feel the "hands off" attitude is due not to policy for the betterment of the hobby but rather something else entirely. IOW, as the Bard wrote, Me thinks "something is rotten in the state of Denmark".

And the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the membership.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The future belongs to all the young up and coming "drone" pilots out there. The FAA isn`t going to care about us old duffers who just want to fly fat, lazy circles with our glow powered model Cubs in some out of the way field.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
Some recent headline posted here with permission of the hosting website.

NASA will test a drone traffic management system in two U.S. cities starting this March. Link

In order to offer young pilots more avenues of entry into drone-related careers, colleges and high schools have begun to add unmanned aerial systems (UAS) courses to their curriculum. Link 1 Link 2

Thousands of people from the unmanned systems community will gather this spring at the AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 conference and trade show. Link

A Part 107 pilot who was handcuffed and ticketed for operating his drone in a Michigan park shares his story on the latest episode of the Drone Law Pro Radio podcast. Link

I found the NASA article of particular interest. In it is a link to a list of all the partners NASA is working with for this Unmanned Traffic Management system. Strangely the AMA is absent from the list. Working for us again I see. NASA Partner List

Also interesting is the way "Drones" seem to making their way into the education system far deeper, fast and in greater numbers than anything the AMA has sponsored. Go figure!
Why should the AMA waste it's time dealing with organizations that are not going to give the AMA any sort of financial gain or greater clout with the "Feds"? To me, the GOB network is showing how out of touch they are once again
Old 02-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

That was good, it posted twice
Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Why should the AMA waste it's time dealing with organizations that are not going to give the AMA any sort of financial gain or greater clout with the "Feds"? To me, the GOB network is showing how out of touch they are once again
I think 2019 or 2020 you will see some interesting things happen in the AMA. The pot is about to boil over and no one is watching it. Going to be interesting.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

How's that? Is the EC all going to get arrested for fraud or something?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:54 AM
Appowner
Banned

More news:

Kalashnikov Unveils New ‘Kamikaze Drone’ At IDEX 2019

Weaponized Drones
Old 02-25-2019, 03:55 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
How's that? Is the EC all going to get arrested for fraud or something?
Don't know. I just think this whole financial thing is about to blow.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Appowner
Banned

And it continues:

Trump administration releases proposed drone rules and regulatory changes

Link