Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 12:05 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I have sometimes thought of running a PAW 35 diesel in La Coupe Des Barons but I'm very well known as a four stroke exponent now and a new twin ballrace PAW 35 will be quite expensive.

Brief bit of footage of the largest PAW, the 60, attached.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

David, that .60 diesel has such a nice, tick over idle, and I imagine has better fuel economy than glow. Plus, with minimal muffling, has a quieter exhaust note.

With nitro being harder to obtain these days, seems that diesels provide a nice alternative to glow.

However with the FAA clamping down on model aircraft use with R/C restrictions have me gravitating back to control line and rubber powered free flight aircraft.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Nothing in this hobby seems to be easy I guess we're all to stubborn to quit! It does keep us occupied and never bored!
Old 04-24-2024, 09:29 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

There are so few diesel powered models these days that ready-mixed diesel fuel is impossible to come by here in France. However, our club chairman, Roger Aubard, has revived a small control liner powered by a French Micron diesel. These were well thought of engines in their day but they went out of production in the 1970s I believe. Diesel fuel is misnamed inasmuch as it contains no pump diesel but if you mix equal portions of ether, paraffin, (kerosine) and castor oil you'll have a fuel which should power a diesel engine. Most commercially available fuels contain a small percentage of ignition improver usually amyl nitrate. The ether and amyl nitrate are difficult to come by but after a lifetime as a health professional Roger probably has his own sources of supply. I have been told that you may replace the paraffin component of the fuel with commercially available diesel fuel but if you do you'll have an even dirtier exhaust residue to deal with! I've also been informed you may replace the castor oil with synthetic oil. i suppose you may risk ruining an engine if you do but modern oils are very good. They are also much more economical than a glow engine so only a small fuel tank is required.

Our club used to mix its own glow fuel but the government banned the sale of nitro or at least made it difficult for people to acquire small quantities. I was given the remainder of the club's supplies of nitro which I chucked into a gallon of straight fuel. Heaven knows what the percentage is but I marked it LCDB which stands for La Coupe Des Barons and is ear-marked for the competition!

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-24-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Every Spring new flowers bloom in the ditches alongside the fields by my house. I took this picture yesterday. When I took the dog for a walk this morning I noticed a tractor cutting them all down. They'll all be gone by lunchtime.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

I understand, David, what a modeller must do to survive these days. Diesel now seems more viable as fuel components are more easily obtainable than for glow. Here in US, I noticed the diesels are selling cheaper for now than glow in some cases.

Recently I ordered from Cox International of Canada a new Cox .049 Tee Dee. I have many reed valve engines and a few Medallions, but this is the first performance Cox in that size new.

I do have an older .020 Tee Dee and a .051 Tee Dee bought as a rescue case, in which I procured parts from them also.

Back in the mid 1960/s, I built Comet's kit P-51B, the turtle deck version. It was my first low wing monoplane that flew decently under rubber power. As a 5th or 6th grader, it gave me a lot of joy to launch it R.O.G. (Rise Off Ground) from our front porch patio floor, about thigh high. I didn't have a winder, so it was wind prop backwards may be 100 turns, but to fly such was a thrill. Gee, what kids, especially boys are missing out on today.
Spoiler

There's always work if one doesn't mind eating a little crow now and them.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:08 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Every Spring new flowers bloom in the ditches alongside the fields by my house. I took this picture yesterday. When I took the dog for a walk this morning I noticed a tractor cutting them all down. They'll all be gone by lunchtime.

David, that is amazing. I see exactly the same plant and floral life along our roads here along road sides here in dry, rural New Mexico. It reminds me of my glorious Eternal Creator.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:20 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It reminds me that the Earth has tipped on its axis!
Old 04-25-2024, 08:50 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gentlemen, continuing the diesel theme I'd like to introduce you to Mark Croucher who puts up a number of videos on YouTube showing people how to build models. He is building a Keil Kraft Ladybird which will be powered by a small diesel engine. In this video he deals with using templates to cut out parts from plywood.

If you watch it you'll be introduced to the "Geordie Accent." The Geordies come from Newcastle Upon Tyne or the towns and villages surrounding the city. Geordie is a corruption of the word "George" and it is said that the inhabitants of Newcastle gained their nickname because they supported King George I against the rebels of Bonny Prince Charlie's Army in 1745. They have the reputation of being very friendly people, indeed, I've never met a nasty Geordie.

Going on what is written on his pencil I'd say that Mark is a retired teacher.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:11 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I've just read an article about David Niven. He came from a wealthy family with military connections. His father was killed during the Galipolli campaign in 1915. The Turks had put barbed wire under the sea near the beach to prevent a landing.

Having passed out of the Royal Military College Sandhurst in 1930, David Niven was appointed as a Second Lieutenant in the Highland Light Infantry. The HLI are not from the Highlands, most of them come from the back streets of Glasgow and have the reputation for being very undisciplined instilling fear into seasoned British Military Policemen the world over! Tiring of a peacetime soldiering, Niven resigned his commission and moved to the USA where after a quiet start he became a well-known Hollywood actor.

When war broke out in 1939 he returned to England to join up even though some said that he could serve his country better by staying in Hollywood and making films. When he re-engaged he was asked which branch of the service he wanted to join. His response was, "Anything but the Highland Light Infantry!"

He served in many different roles including working with the "Phantom" unit of the Commandos which located and reported back on the disposition of enemy forces. During the Battle of the Bulge he was one of a contingent of British soldiers sent to help the Americans. A wide awake American sentry challenged him by asking him who won the World Series in 1943, to which Niven replied, "Haven't the foggiest idea but I did star with Ginger Rogers in Batchelor Mother!"

AFAIK he was one of only two Hollywood actors who served in the armed forces ine WW2. The other was Jimmy Stewart.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:00 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

"AFAIK he was one of only two Hollywood actors who served in the armed forces ine WW2. The other was Jimmy Stewart."
Clark Gable and Henry Fonda also served. There were others but it seems like if they were at all famous they got shunted into public relations. There were also those who got famous after they served.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:56 PM
FlyerInOKC

I thought Henry served aboard a Destroyer? Stayed in the reserve for 3 years after the war.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 04-27-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:15 PM
Clean

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It reminds me that the Earth has tipped on its axis!
And not in the good way. Ah well, I tip on my axis every once in a while myself. Tripped over a piece of edging in my raised bed today as a matter of fact. Did a fancy little jig I didn't know I was capable of and stayed up. Only because the ground is so wet I would be soaked. 4.75 inches of rain in the last 4 days, most of it in the last two. BUT we didn't have any tornados here. They skated to the East of us just in time. All we had was heavy winds Thursday-Friday night. 40mph Thu 37 Fri and 34 last night. Not continous, the average is around 27 but not gusts either. the highs registered for half an hour on the 40 and 2 hours on the 37. Long old front of Tornado's. My buddy is up in Omaha. Damage was to either side of his area.

I bought a couple gallons of Glow fuel when I was in DesMoines back in January. Have about 3/4ths gallon on my flight box. That'll last 2 years at this rate BUT I'm charging planes for a trip to the field with hopes to get there soon. The Nimh batteries have held pretty good charge since Jan 1st. Could have flown all day and then some. But they're topped off now.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:23 PM
Clean

Originally Posted by mgnostic
"AFAIK he was one of only two Hollywood actors who served in the armed forces ine WW2. The other was Jimmy Stewart."
Clark Gable and Henry Fonda also served. There were others but it seems like if they were at all famous they got shunted into public relations. There were also those who got famous after they served.
Wasn't WWII but I just watched a crazy facts about musicians where they said Johnny Cash was in the Air Force serving as a morse code operator he intercepted a Russian communication and became the first person outside the Iron Curtain to know that Stalin was dead.
David John Davis (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:29 PM
GallopingGhostler

Charles Bronson: Hollywood Actor and WW2 Aerial Gunner
Originally Posted by War History Online
Charles Bronson was known for playing the tough guy on the big screen, but he was also one in real life. Following a life of poverty and working in coal mines, he joined the US Army Air Forces, serving as a gunner aboard a B-29 bomber during the Second World War.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:32 AM
Clean

Here's another YouTube clip, man I spend too much time there, but it's Kurt Russell and the beginning of his relationship with Charles Bronson.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:51 PM
GallopingGhostler

Good story, Clean . I gather that Charles Bronson had a heart, although he rarely expressed it, probably why he was casted in tough guy character roles.

Here's an interesting story about a playful cat that ended up in a return box traveling from Utah to California.

KTLA5: A missing Utah cat with a fondness for boxes ends up in Amazon returns
Originally Posted by AP News
Galena, a 6-year-old house cat from Utah, likes hiding and playing with cardboard. Earlier this month, the combination of the two made for a stressful trip in an Amazon package, feverish searching, a California rescue and a tearful reunion. [...] Amazon employees knew just who to call when they found the feline — co-worker Brandy Hunter, who rescues cats, Clark said. Hunter took the cat home and to the vet the next day, where the microchip was scanned. Clark spoke with Hunter who “calmed me down and told me that my kitty was OK,” despite having spent six days in a cardboard box without food or water.
Owners flew to Los Angeles to retrieve the cat. That was mighty expensive therapy.
David John Davis (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 04:12 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Charles Bronson's character was one of only three survivors in "The Dirty Dozen".
"Killing generals could really get to be a habit with me."
Old 04-30-2024, 05:23 PM
GallopingGhostler

Wasn't into the movie scenes, so only Charles Bronson movie I remember truly watching was:
YouTube: The Mechanic Trailer
David John Davis (04-30-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:04 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Good story, Clean . I gather that Charles Bronson had a heart, although he rarely expressed it, probably why he was casted in tough guy character roles.

Here's an interesting story about a playful cat that ended up in a return box traveling from Utah to California.

KTLA5: A missing Utah cat with a fondness for boxes ends up in Amazon returns

Owners flew to Los Angeles to retrieve the cat. That was mighty expensive therapy.
Reminds me when our exchange student was packing all her boxes to ship back to Korea, and our Calico, who loved to jump into boxes, got tapped up in one. Fortunately, she was a very vocal cat. She finally passed away last week at the ripe old age of 21.
bisco (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by scottrc
Reminds me when our exchange student was packing all her boxes to ship back to Korea, and our Calico, who loved to jump into boxes, got tapped up in one. Fortunately, she was a very vocal cat. She finally passed away last week at the ripe old age of 21.
You were fortunate that the cat got unboxed. Yes, nice to know that your little kitty lived out its full years. 21 years is quite a long time. My son's black lab had to be put down at around 14 years, developed paralyzed hips and rear legs. His other lab and other mix passed away at around 17 years, had lost its total hearing. We dog sat for a week, and when 4th of July fireworks went off, the sound didn't even spook the dog.

Although I love animals, my son was extremely allergic to cat danders, didn't figure that out until we moved and gave our pet cat away to a friend interested in it. His asthma went away without pets. Since, just figured it was easier to live without pets.

When I go to a friend's house, I get to spoil their pets. They are like grandchildren.
Clean (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:24 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

My Tiko is six years old today!

The following 2 users liked this post by Telemaster Sales UK:
Clean (Yesterday), GallopingGhostler (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM
Clean

My Daughter is 34. Doesn't have a nice white coat though.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

I just turned 66 and my hair isn't white either. Happy Birthday Tiko! Good dog!
Clean (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Went flying last Sunday. I took three models with me, both Barons and the club's Boomerang. I didn't arrive at the flying field until 5pm so things were rather rushed.

I had been having problems with the British Baron; the caburettor barrel on the Magnum 52FS insisted on making a break for freedom so rather than fit a carburetter from the spares box I swapped the engine for an OS 52 Surpass. I found that I could not stop the engine. Closer investigation revealed that the part which secures the bottom of the carburettor manifold had snapped off so the carburettor was flapping about in the wind. Fortunately I have a scrap OS52 at home so I was able to use parts from that engine to repair it. A quick session on the test stand, a swift adjust ment of the slow-running jet and all was well. I just have to fit the engine back into the model.

I had a good flight with the Ukrainian Baron but forgot to switch elevator to full rates on landing so the landing was a bit hot. No damage though.

As for the club's trainer, a Seagull Boomerang, last year I bought an OS 46FX at a car boot sale minus the silencer. I had previously been using my beloved Enya 50 in the model but the thought of ham fisted beginners wrecking my Enya while learning to fly led me to fit the OS. I have a box full of two-stroke exhausts so I fitted one. The OS flew it more than adequately.

Although I'm not really an ARTF man I have recently bought a Kyosho Calmato Alpha, new in box. I intend to put the Enya in that. I have a Q Silencer on the Enya and to my ears it sounds fabulous...for a two-stroke that is!

Copious amounts of rain are forecast here right up to Sunday so I'll plenty of time for assembling the ARTF and building some other projects.

Clean (Yesterday)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.