Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Say farewell to the Goldberg and GP kits. Got a notice from Tower that the Cub kit on my wish list has been removed.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
say farewell to the goldberg and gp kits. Got a notice from tower that the cub kit on my wish list has been removed.
rats.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Goldberg and GP

Say farewell to the Goldberg and GP kits. Got a notice from Tower that the Cub kit on my wish list has been removed.
I personally cannot draw that conclusion. I have many kits on my wish-list as well and at the moment they have not been removed. I think most long time modelers know the quality of the Goldberg and GP products. They also realize there is a value to the copyrights, designs, and hard tooling. There are decisions being made daily. Obviously some model plane kits will not be included in the offer to purchase. Sellers always get cash and buyers often go in debt so the contractual offer to purchase will spell out precisely what the buyer wants and what he does not want. Eventually Goldberg and GP will sell and the new owner will start marketing and manufacturing using the steel-rule-dies, plastic molding tools, and other item in his new purchase.

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-23-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

the following item can no longer be purchased from Tower Hobbies, therefore it has been removed from your Wish List:Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub 40 Kit .40-.61,76.5"
It is what it is. Unless BUSA or SIG pick it up, kiss them good bye.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Lee Taylor

It is what it is. Unless BUSA or SIG pick it up, kiss them good bye.
I have already kissed them goodbye. I hold out no hope. But we do have over 10 million Americans with a personal financial worth over 1 million. Some may be modelers and interested in investments. I imagine the big issue will be resolving the debt prior to title transfer. The other questions for the buyer will be the degree of demand for the product and the duration of the return on investment. By no means will one or two sales put him into the zone of financial gain. If Goldberg and GP can clear their debt, show demand for the product, show supplier agreements, and show a short ROI, offers will float in. Sadly what happens to many corporations is they lose their smart people

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-24-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
I have already kissed them goodbye. I hold out no hope. But we do have over 10 million Americans with a personal financial worth over 1 million. Some may be modelers and interested in investments. I imagine the big issue will be resolving the debt prior to title transfer. The other questions for the buyer will be the degree of demand for the product and the duration of the return on investment. By no means will one or two sales put him into the zone of financial gain. If Goldberg and GP can clear their debt, show demand for the product, show supplier agreements, and show a short ROI, offers will float in. Sadly what happens to many corporations is they lose their smart people
Apparently some people in our hobby just don't get it. Demand has been down for many years now, especially for RC airplane kits. I've been given dozens of RC airplanes, engines and related items because the original owners have passed away or just got just too old to be able to fly. They couldn't find anyone to buy what they had so it was either give their stuff away or throw everything in the trash. I had to turn down many others who wanted to give me many more airplanes and equipment because I didn't have any more room in my basement. I was lucky enough to eventually find someone who would take some 20 airplanes and other equipment off my hands for free.
I know some who have large clubs with many members find this hard to believe, but there are many small clubs, with 10 or less active members who might have a different opinion.

Last edited by fliers1; 09-24-2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

I have picked up some unfinished projects that way too. They were all in the .29 to .40 engine size range. I traded a CG Cub kit and ST .40 for a partially built Top Flite Corsair with 4 servos and Robart gear already installed because he couldn't sell it for over 1 1/2 years. They guy I traded with sold the Cub kit immediately. I have been buying 2 cycle engines fairly cheap because no one else wanted them. The hobby is changing it seems the big gassers or the electric airplanes are what's in demand right now. I think most builders prefer unbuilt projects kits, etc rather take over someone else's project built in a different style. The last several years most of the kits I have bought were all short kits from kit cutters for plans I acquired or for plans I bought at the same time. There hve been a few exceptions but they were twin engine electric kits one had been discontinued for over a decade.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-24-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
Apparently some people in our hobby just don't get it. Demand has been down for many years now, especially for RC airplane kits. I've been given dozens of RC airplanes, engines and related items because the original owners have passed away or just got just too old to be able to fly. They couldn't find anyone to buy what they had so it was either give their stuff away or throw everything in the trash. I had to turn down many others who wanted to give me many more airplanes and equipment because I didn't have any more room in my basement. I was lucky enough to eventually find someone who would take some 20 airplanes and other equipment off my hands for free.
I know some who have large clubs with many members find this hard to believe, but there are many small clubs, with 10 or less active members who might have a different opinion.
I agree. The reason fewer kits are on the market is because of reduced demand.

Like you, I get a lot of free stuff, because the owners can not sell it. It's a sad situation, but it's a reality of the hobby.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 154 Likes on 130 Posts

Why don't we all just accept that the majority of us, who are interested in building radio controlled model aircraft from kits or even plans, are over retirement age and that after us nobody will be interested in the sort of models we are interested in! There will be the odd few modellers who are forty years younger than us who will continue to build balsa and ply models from kits or plans, but they will be seen as an eccentric minority.

Those who would have built model aeroplanes had they been born in the Thirties, Forties, Fifties or even Sixties, will have other hobbies to interest them.

P. S. I have just sold a Super Tigre 25cc engine for 40€. I gave away a Merco 35 with Quiet Silencer and I "sold" a K&B 65 and a Meteor 61 for two bottles of Beaujolais Villages. Let's just enjoy the hobby while we are still alive and fairly fit. After us, no-one will be interested.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

I will have you know I can't retire for another 6.5 years! :P

But I am counting the days!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Why don't we all just accept that the majority of us, who are interested in building radio controlled model aircraft from kits or even plans, are over retirement age and that after us nobody will be interested in the sort of models we are interested in! There will be the odd few modellers who are forty years younger than us who will continue to build balsa and ply models from kits or plans, but they will be seen as an eccentric minority.

Those who would have built model aeroplanes had they been born in the Thirties, Forties, Fifties or even Sixties, will have other hobbies to interest them.

P. S. I have just sold a Super Tigre 25cc engine for 40€. I gave away a Merco 35 with Quiet Silencer and I "sold" a K&B 65 and a Meteor 61 for two bottles of Beaujolais Villages. Let's just enjoy the hobby while we are still alive and fairly fit. After us, no-one will be interested.
The majority of us flyer, the majority.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:40 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was lucky. I’ve been retired 28 years. No regrets, never looked back and have loved every minute of retirement. But I found that I do more work retired than I did working. Lol.

When I got back into the hobby, 2014, I found that there were no kits to be found locally. Also few LHS. So I just started scratch building. Going on 6 models now. I do have 2 kits I ordered due to price. No idea when I’ll build the kits. I like the challenge of the scratch build. I just work from a computer printout or a picture. No need for full size plans, so far. So far it has worked for me. Going to try a foam build next. That will be new.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:14 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
Apparently some people in our hobby just don't get it. Demand has been down for many years now, especially for RC airplane kits.

If this is the case, why do so many kits sell quickly on Ebay, Craigslist, RCU and RGGroups classifieds?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by ramboy
If this is the case, why do so many kits sell quickly on Ebay, Craigslist, RCU and RGGroups classifieds?
Niche market. There's not a mass demand for builders' kits.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 AM
Lee Taylor

Talking Oh well

Originally Posted by ETpilot
I like the challenge of the scratch build.
I have no problem with scratch building. I think I still have some plans in storage. These days I am leaning more towards the ARF for flying. Scratch building takes so long that I would want to preserve the model. I would not want to wreck it, so if and when it goes into the air it would be basic maneuvers. In other words, no attempts at any bizarre twists and turns. I am the type model flyer that does not have the concept that he is never going to crash. In my model flying world, mishaps are inevitable. Building is one thing but I like the idea of always having something ready to go to the field. At the moment I am thinking and electric foamy, a glow ARF, complete the kit-build I have a 85%, and something else. I don't know what the something else will be yet

Love the Sbach
Click image for larger version

Name:	31032261208_d56dc23b03_o.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2262064

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-25-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:50 AM
mkjohnston

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
I have two ARFS and compared to the kits they are junk! the build is nice but the covering is the worst and someone said why dont you strip and I said no way. Yes I am lazy to the tee but I started collect kits last year and now I have about 10 plus some short kits that I bought from a local cutter who is pretty good.
Thanks
Michael
Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi,
I have two ARFS and compared to the kits they are junk! the build is nice but the covering is the worst and someone said why dont you strip and I said no way. Yes I am lazy to the tee but I started collect kits last year and now I have about 10 plus some short kits that I bought from a local cutter who is pretty good.
Thanks
Michael
Michael who did you short kits? Was it Limey Bob over at LDS?

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Michael who did you short kits? Was it Limey Bob over at LDS?

Mike
Hi Mike, No I had Eddie Taylor down here in Wichita Falls at Action Hobbies down on 9th street cut them for me. He also cut me two fuse kits for my Train Aire 20 that I wrecked at the first of the year.
Thank You
Michael
Old 09-26-2018, 07:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hi Mike, No I had Eddie Taylor down here in Wichita Falls at Action Hobbies down on 9th street cut them for me. He also cut me two fuse kits for my Train Aire 20 that I wrecked at the first of the year.
Thank You
Michael
Does Eddie have a website? I like to keep an eye out for independent laser cutters so I know who is cutting what. I have been using Limey Bob at LDS and Rob at Balsa Workbench for cutting of late. Both have done excellent work for me and I highly recommend them both. I think its the cutters like Eddie, Bob, and Rob who will keep this hobby alive.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Does Eddie have a website? I like to keep an eye out for independent laser cutters so I know who is cutting what. I have been using Limey Bob at LDS and Rob at Balsa Workbench for cutting of late. Both have done excellent work for me and I highly recommend them both. I think its the cutters like Eddie, Bob, and Rob who will keep this hobby alive.
Hi Mike, check out this website, Lazer Works - Engraving & Design, this is Eddie Taylors site and has his contact information on it. He has a few parts packs available.
let me know what you think about it.
Enjoy
Michael Johnston
Old 09-27-2018, 11:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks Michael! I checked out the site and something caught my eye so I have already shot a couple of questions to Eddie.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:56 PM
mkjohnston

Mike, Thats great I hope you find what you want on his site.
Michael
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

Mike, Thats great I hope you find what you want on his site.
Michael
That's the problem I did!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM
mkjohnston

Mike,I know what you mean some one showed up at our club field here a few months back with a skytiger jr and I was told that Eddie cut the kit out and assemble it for the gentlemen. It was very neat to say the least. I asked Eddie about it and he showed me the parts pack on his website. I asked if he had the plans available and he said no but he could find them on line and then I would have to print them up. right now I have too many kits but I need to get that kit cut and build it in the next 3 to five years. Its a 25 size airplane which is my favorite size.
Michael
Old 10-01-2018, 01:39 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,I know what you mean some one showed up at our club field here a few months back with a skytiger jr and I was told that Eddie cut the kit out and assemble it for the gentlemen. It was very neat to say the least. I asked Eddie about it and he showed me the parts pack on his website. I asked if he had the plans available and he said no but he could find them on line and then I would have to print them up. right now I have too many kits but I need to get that kit cut and build it in the next 3 to five years. Its a 25 size airplane which is my favorite size.
Michael
Interesting in that I am planning on ordering the Skytiger Jr short kit for a winter project. I got the plans from Outerzone and printed them on six 11x17 sheets on my own printer and it worked out well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.