Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

DOn't forget Magnum

https://www.mikegoesflying.com/produ...plane-engines/
Old 10-15-2018, 07:08 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
That reminds me I need to start looking for a second hand Magnum .15.
I missed RCV too!

RCV Model Engines
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

There are some US Distribution issues but the engines are being made it just takes some work to find a place to buy them.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Care to elaborate on this statement ?
Hi Tom, Horizon has moved the Futaba service center out and they own OS so it makes sense that OS will go some where else too. I am not a Futaba fan and with the demise of Airtronics, I moved over to Futaba for airplanes and still have my Airtronics 4ch car radio which still works great. Thats just my IMHO u know
thank you
Michael
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi Tom, Horizon has moved the Futaba service center out and they own OS so it makes sense that OS will go some where else too. I am not a Futaba fan and with the demise of Airtronics, I moved over to Futaba for airplanes and still have my Airtronics 4ch car radio which still works great. Thats just my IMHO u know
thank you
Michael
Futaba isn't OS. I don't see a correlation between what they have done and what OS may do.

I don't understand your statement about "only one engine manufacturer in the RC world." Can you explain what you mean ?

AS OKC has pointed out, there are several, and those are glow manufacturers. There are also many gas engine manufacturers such as DA, DLE, etc.

Try not to confuse Tower stock with what is available from other sources. While Tower may be a major supplier for many of us, they are not the sole purveyor of RC goods in the US.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

To clarify, Hobbico had contracted to preform the warranty work for Futaba and to distribute exclusively in the USA. With them gone Futaba has opened there own service center and is distributing to retailers themselves directly. If a retail customer orders directly they are charged MSRP.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM
mkjohnston

I guess I am a little wrong here but for one thing for sure is that Futaba and OS are owned by the same Japeneese firm. They make a ton of electronic parts such as VFDS and other parts and services. BTW FlyinOkc said that you will pay retail at Futaba's website for the radios and servos which is true. But if you look at Tower's website all the Futaba stuff has gone up.
My main point is why would Horizon continue to distribute OS when they have their own brand made in china? It doesn'nt make sense anyways they brought in their brands such as Losi and Spectrum RC. I know of two Italian glow engine makers still producing RC car glow engines and that would be Picco and Nova Rossi. There is a 3 engine line which is called Reds and its chief designer is Maro Rossi of the Rossi clan. I've never seen these engines but they are made by Picco and I heard good things about them. I had two Picco Car engines and they where bad ass to the max. I have one OS 21 XZB ver2 in my RC car that has never been started. I heard that Magnums where back in production and that someone on the West coast is importing them. I talked to the distributor last year as I was looking for parts for an ASP engine that I picked up at a swap meet. There quite a few different Car engines made by OS for the car market under different names. I understand that Meoca is still going and someone told me that the guy isn't really producing engines that what is for sell is what was left over for the original companies such as HP or even K&B.
I really think this hobby is in bad way and might never recover.
My IMO is mine so you can disagree with me that is fine as I will continue to fly glow power airplanes.'
Thank You
Michael
Michael Johnston
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

I suspect Horizon couldn't or wouldn't take on Futaba because they are already so heavily committed to Spektrum. They own the US distribution rights and the contract could prevent them from carrying another brand. You look at engines and almost all the OS engines show to be in stock but Evolution engines have less than half in stock.It would be much more lucrative to carry OS instead of Evolution.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

HH sells Saito engines as well as the Evolution brand. TH was the US distributor for OS engines, now HH is the distributor in the US. Distributor
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Side note, I did look at Saito and they show to have all of them in stock. When it comes to 4 cycles I think their is a lot of brand loyalty so HH is selling Saito and OS 4 cycles to two different buying groups.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting, I looked at acdii's OS website link. 2 stroke OS in plain aluminum .10, .25, .46 LA's and control line .25, .46 LA's are still available, but these are not being sold by Tower, strange.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Interesting, I looked at acdii's OS website link. 2 stroke OS in plain aluminum .10, .25, .46 LA's and control line .25, .46 LA's are still available, but these are not being sold by Tower, strange.
Go to the Discontinued list (link on the bottom) some of those shown in the line up are also on the discontinued list including most of those you listed.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Futaba isn't OS. I don't see a correlation between what they have done and what OS may do.
OS is part of the Futaba group. Happened in 1993 according to the OS Japan website.

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/gaiyoh/gaiindex.htm

Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I own a bunch of older OS Max two cycle engines but I also like Saito, Enya, and Super Tigre engines too. My radios are all Futaba except for a 70 Series Kraft I keep as a memento.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:38 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Go to the Discontinued list (link on the bottom) some of those shown in the line up are also on the discontinued list including most of those you listed.
Not quite, looking more closely, the ones listed "discontinued" are the blue powder coat ones. The plain aluminum ones do not show up as "discontinued" but as "listed". It takes a little poking around, but that is what I discovered.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
FlyerInOKC

I found this website https://www.osengines.com/index.html and it has a different list. It shows the only LA in product as the 25LA but the site appears to be Horizon owned which must translate to only what they choose to import. Hemikiller has the Japanese site in his link which show everything.

Airplane engines: https://www.osengines.com/engines-airplane/index.html

Discontinued Engines part listings: https://www.osengines.com/parts/discontinued.html
Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

The one acdii linked to is the Japanese manufacturer's website, but as you allude to, FlyerInOKC, does appear to be the Horizon importation list. Yet, it does not completely correlate to what Tower has available. The .25 LA does not show on Tower, but the .15 LA does.

I think that those in Australia have a better chance at all OS has to offer than we do.

The Japanese site has:

Gas and Large Engines:
Gasoline Engine GT55
Gasoline Engine GT33
Gasoline Engine GT22
MAX-BGX-1 RING
MAX-160FX RING
MAX-140RX
MAX-120AX
MAX-120AX RING-BE
MAX-95AX RING
MAX-91VR-DF (Round Head)
MAX-75AX
MAX-75AX-BE

.10 to .65 Engines:
MAX-65AX
MAX-65LA(Silver)
MAX-61FX
MAX-55AX
MAX-55AX-BE
MAX-46VX-DF
MAX-46AX
MAX-46LA(Silver)
MAX-35AX
MAX-35AX BE
MAX-25AX
MAX-25LA(Silver)
MAX-15CV-A
MAX-15LA(Silver)
MAX-10LA(Silver)

Control Line Engines:
MAX-46LA-S(Silver)
MAX-25LA-S(Silver)
MAX-15LA-S(Silver)

Seems to be the only thing people are buying these days as electric motors.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't trust the Tower site anymore and check on the Horizon site to back up the information. I got to say Horizon would be better off keeping the Tower site and dumping the Horizon site. The Tower site is so much easier to use.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RCJapan shows pretty much the same engine listings. It's unfortunate, the LA46 was a great engine for beginners.

https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?ma...ath=80_321_323
Old 10-19-2018, 02:07 PM
mkjohnston

so what was the difference between the standard bearing engines and fp series. I was a loaned a 25 S one time for my Eaglet and to this day I do know how I did it but I cut my fingers trying to adjust the high speed needle. To this day I am scared to death to tune a glow engine even with the angle needle valves in the AX series engines. but I will not give them up for electrics or gas no need for me.
Thank You
Michael
Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Michael, the SF range of engines were the high performance range with the crankshaft supported by ball bearings; they used a twin needle carburetter. The FP range of engines, and the LA series for that matter, were plain bearing engines, i.e, they had their crankshafts supported the by bare metal of the forward crankcase, (I think!) leastways if the "bearing" wore out you had to replace the entire crancase. They were also ported for lower speed performance, were easy to start and were fitted with an airbleed carburetter. The FP 40 was a popular choice for trainers in the 1990s. I have an OS 40 FP fitted in a SLEC Fun Fly, it's fitted to a Super Quiet silencer and it flies it very well.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 AM
mkjohnston

Hi Telemaster, I have a 25 sf which is my favorite and last spring I picked up an SF 40 which ran well but had these bright yellow spots on the sleeve. I sold it and another sf 25 and and a FX 46 at another swap meet recently. I was loaned a standard 25 plain bearing OS in the early 80's and it ran well. I cut my fingers trying to adjust the high speed needle and to this day I am very leary of adjust needles of a running. I also have a Super Tigre x25 that I bought in the early 80's it runs but I think I have bearing issues. I was also loaned an Enya 19 about the same time of I used the OS 25 and that engine wouldn't run very well. My friend had a Eyna .45 and it ran great in hi biplane..
Michael
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I think the thing with Enyas is that they continued to make them with lapped cast iron pistons in cast iron bores long after most manufacturers had gone over to ABC cylinders or ringed pistons. For all I know, even the more modern Enyas, the TN series fitted with twin needle carburetters, are made in the same way. Consequently they take many hours of running in before they will run reliably but once they are run-in they are superbly reliable. They are not the most powerful engine in any cubic capacity class but once run-in, you will not wear one out.

I have seven of them ranging from a little brand new 15 to a 120 four-stroke. I recently bought a 35 on eBay which had never been started and although I'm not an engine collector I'm reluctant to start it! It came complete with the second high compression cylinder head still in its plastic wrapping.

My favourite is an Enya 50 fitted with a Q Silencer, the original Enya silencers don't! I had this engine in a Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer and it flew it beautifully. I used this model to train beginners but failed to recover control quickly enough when my trainee became disorientated and it crashed into a builder's yard. There seems to be some sort of foreign body in the engine. I will have to investigate.

I was thinking of setting up an Enya engines admirers' group called "Iron In The Soul," a reference to a book by Jean-Paul Sartre, but that's probably too fanciful.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
GallopingGhostler

I've got one of those, Enya .35-III TV. Unfortunately Sceptre Flight doesn't have an engine review article on it, only its predecessor with odd style carburetor. Enya data shows puts out 0.60 HP, RPM 2,000 - 13,000, recommended props F/F 10x5 to 11x3, R/C 10x6 to 11x4. Only thing I lack is a proper air frame to mount it on. It should be a good substitute for a plane using a .25 Schneurle, IMO.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:26 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see the current Tower deals. The 63 inch Phoenix Tiger was marked down to 89 bucks, and the additional coupon code for a 100 dollar order got me another 17 dollars off. If you are thinking of getting some stuff, now is the time to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.