Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brinson disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
I would say you probably have had them but the keyed collet version where the collet can stay in the hub when you have pressed the crank out . If you didn't look closely into the hub you wouldn't notice it was in there
I would have seen it when I cleaned up the parts for reassembly. I always polished the prop drive hub before reinstall ..... except the anodized ones of course. I still cleaned them thoroughly. Oh well, no matter. I've learned something new about these engines. Like so many other things, no knowledge that will ever make me a dime but still good to know.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:20 PM
davidmlbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am always learning new stuff. This is a great hobby. The folks who insist that they know everything drive me a little nuts, sometimes. Thank you again.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

David , The cylinder , piston ,rings can be found in post production non OEM form from chainsaw parts distributors for the Dolmer 115i chainsaws with 44mm cylinder . The bearings and seal are stock parts . The crankcase and crankshaft are Brison only items but parts engines can be found . I saw a Brison 3.2 at a swap meet this morning in new condition with a wrap around Pitts muffler for 175.00 . I would have bought it but I already have 4 - 3.2s
Old 02-23-2019, 12:22 PM
davidmlbrown

Are your sure that you don't need another one?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM
CK1

I should have bought it just to get the parts . I could then sell those parts to you if you need them . Lol...
Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM
davidmlbrown

Old 02-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
David , The cylinder , piston ,rings can be found in post production non OEM form from chainsaw parts distributors for the Dolmer 115i chainsaws with 44mm cylinder . The bearings and seal are stock parts . The crankcase and crankshaft are Brison only items but parts engines can be found . I saw a Brison 3.2 at a swap meet this morning in new condition with a wrap around Pitts muffler for 175.00 . I would have bought it but I already have 4 - 3.2s
Have you seen one of the later cylinders? I've had it from several sources they are not the same as what was used years ago on the Brison / Taurus / Fox / FPE engines. I've never had one in my hands to know for sure though and no longer buying Brison engines, it would just satisfy my curiosity. By the way, my Taurus 3.2 is by far my favorite engine of the various conversion or custom engines. Much smoother running than the cantilever crank engines.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 PM
CK1

I have used the Hyway brand piston cylinder kit and the quality is not as good as OEM but it ran well . To my knowledge has not failed yet but for 50.00 what can you expect . I have had good luck with used OEM cylinders from ChainSawr and prefer them when available to the Chinese knockoffs .