Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Old 05-28-2005, 09:45 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Here is a picture of the big Hersey Bar wing, all 104" of it and pictures of the scheme I am leaning towards.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32694.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	277580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14198.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	277581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22678.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	277582  
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
DrDeath

The thumb has healed and tomorrow I go to fly for the first time since the injury. I started back working on the Spacewalker. I working on the wing when I noticed that the aileron servo isn't right. It is pretty well glued in between the ribs, so I will have to cut it out. Since I have to cut out the servo tray and do it correctly I may do what this guy did with the aileron. Built it into the wing and completely hidden

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...3-0056-00.html

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about with the wings.

Name:	Ay74652.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	280040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67061.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	280041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50324.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	280042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43999.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	280043  
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 PM
DrDeath

Here is one of the fuse. Also, I have choosen a white colored plane with blue accents.

Name:	Ki19149.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	280044  
Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 PM
DrDeath

Latest update

Tomorrow I go to pick up my engine and covering. I have also finished cutting out the old servo bays in both wings. I have finished putting putty on dents and dings and will sand this week before covering. I will also finish the new wing servo bays and I will be making all connections between the trailing wing edge and the leading edge of the aileron. Just have to figure out how to change the existing horns around or maybe cut them out. Will let everyone know when I have finished them.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:42 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up on this thread - what a buy you got there. I have a Spacewalker - it is 12 years old this summer. Flies like a trainer. It sounds like the original owner tried modifying too much for whatever reason - I followed the book for 99% and haven't been disappointed. The only change I would now make if building a new one would be to repalce the landing gear. The rubber band suspension stinks. Mine is powered by an OS 300 twin - covered with koverall and dope - and weight is a bit under 22 pounds. I had a glow driver set up on it because I wasn't confident in the idle of the OS, but it really isn't needed now. Late last year the electronics for the glow driver went bad - while charging - and burnt the wiring up in the plane and caused the nicads to sort of blow up. No damage to the plane, but all electrical gone. I thought I was going to lose not only the Spacewalker, but my two Carden Extras that were in the trailer. Someone was smiling down on me cause all I lost was the wiring and batteries - the Spacewalker will fly again this summer at some meets. I have attached a picture of a few Spacewalkers - mine is the second from the right.

Dan

Name:	Ge95781.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	283381  
Old 06-11-2005, 01:31 PM
DrDeath

Ouch, say thank you God and keep on going! I just got back from Doug's Hobby here in Maryland and I picked up my covering and engine. I will have to make some standoffs for the engine in order to mount it to the firewall. I did get a great deal. The guy who sold it to me got an even greater deal , he got it for free. The $120 plus bucks was worth it since the money went to a good cause. I am sitting down today and map out the tail section and the wings. I would like to start covering her this week. I have come up with a draft list of things to do on this plane

1) Cover center wing section. I have puttied and sanded so the surface is pretty smooth.
2) Finish Wing servo bays, covers and linkages. Start covering wings
3) Work on Tail feathers. Not really happy with how they fit. Also, I need to decide If I am going to put the elevator servos in the tail or the fuse. Leaning toward the tail for added weight in the back with the G-38 up front
4) installation of engine and plumbing
5) Cover fuse and tail feathers
6) Install radio equipment
7) Paint blue star burst accent on plane
8) Balance and setup radio
9) Maiden

A lot to do, and I have figured out some of the details, but I plan on taking my time.

I hope to get her finished by September/October

Thanks for the support.

PS By the way, what do your Spacewalker buddies in the picture have in theirs?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:16 PM
DrDeath

Sorry I haven't added any updates for a while. I actually thought that while my wife and kid were gone I would have gotten a lot done on this project. Actually I played Al Bundy (walked around butt naked and scratched a lot!) all week when I was home and worked on my clubs Scale fly on last weekend (I was the coordinator). The event had Great Weather, Great Flying! All around success.

I have started working again on the plane, I have finished working on the wing servo bays for the plane, mounted the tail feathers and I have plugged the firewall as the holes that were there wasn't in the correct position for my engine and motor mount. I have included some pictures of the servo bays and firewall. I need to seal the firewall and sand the dowels. Still a lot to do before I begin to cover her. I have also added the tail wheel and marked the tail feathers for the flying wires. I have to go buy some fishing lead wire as I heard that was much more economical than buying the kits. That's all for now. I will add more updates this week.

Lee

Name:	Jh15808.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	292783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95295.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	292784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52611.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	292785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10075.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	292786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61641.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	292787  
Old 07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
DrDeath

Update

I have purchased the servos and electronics for this plane.

HiTec 625MG for the wing
HiTec 645MG for the Elevator and Rudder
JR 537 for the throttle and choke
JR 700 Receiver (already had from another plane I sold to purchase a Parkzone Blade CP)
2700maH 6volt battery

I will be running everything at 6v so the rudder/elevator will have 133oz of torque @ .20 seconds and the ailerons will have 94 oz of torque @ .15 seconds. Since I won't be doing any torque rolls, 3D or snap rolls with this plane so this should be plenty of torque to fly this plane. I have a 1/4 Cub with 100" wings span with less torque in the wings (JR 811s) and the plane performs, well like a Cub. I may change the battery on the Cub at a later date, but that is another thread.

I have created a template for the firewall for the B&B motor mount and will drill holes tomorrow or the next day. I kind of started on the engine and now I feel like I have to finish it up. I may need to add a 1/4 inch piece of ply to the firewall to being the prop the proper distance from the firewall. I will have pictures up later this week. Once I mount the engine, I will have a good idea about the cowl and where I need to cut. Hopefully I won't need to cut too much, just enough to allow cooling over the fins and down through the bottom for exhaust output. I will use a 24 oz tank (one I had on hand) and put the fill tube through the top of the front deck in the scale location. I am looking for a good picture of the fuel cap on the Spacewalker to try and duplicate it.

Hope you guys are still interested. Will update you later this week.

Lee
Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
kregan

Looks like a great build... Nice touch on the wing servo's.

I can't wait to see it finished and at the field.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep up the good work Lee. I've been following your progress with enthusiasm.

After buying my kit I came to the realization that if I "build it" it will be years before I ever fly it. A friend of mine offered to build it for me. He is a master builder and everything he does comes out looking like a museum piece. I told him "no rush' he said it would be flying by the Fall of this year. I'm going with the OS FF-320 Flat Four and will be giving him the engine, servos, receiver and other goodies tonight at out club meeting.

Good Luck! It looks like you're well on your way to the "fun part"!

Bob
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 AM
DrDeath

Thanks Bob,

I never did get pictures from the guy who put up the website you pointed me to earlier. Oh well. I will have finish it and choose my own directions and ideas. I have purchased some picture hanger wire for the flying wires for the tail feathers. I will buy the connecting hardware at the LHS. This should be a lot cheaper then buying the Sullivan kits that run about $21 and based on the guys website you will need two of them just to do the wires. Someone said that fishing led would be OK, but looking at the picture hanging wire, it looks like realistic steal cables. I will do a test on my Hanger 9 Super Cub to see how it looks.

Looks like you may be air borne before me. If you can get some pictures of the build, please add them to this thread. Thanks for the support.

Lee
Old 07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Meesh

You're welcome Lee!

I don't know about pics. This guy doesn't have a digital camera. and he lives about 50 miles from me. We hook up at the flying field and at club meetings so I'll be getting reports on the progress from him. I'll keep you posted.

He does own his own full scale Robinson Heli and a full scale Cessna 140 he restored. He is also a licensed A&P mechanic so he knows his way around a plane.

I guess I can forgive him for not having a digital camera!

Take care and keep the reports coming.

Bob
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
DrDeath

LOL, well can't wait to see the completed project. Have you picked a color scheme yet?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Meesh

I'm thinking of sticking with the Red and Yellow like the GP Spacewalker. I have one of those and find that it's real easy to see no matter what color the sky is. The eyes aren't as young as they used to be

Bob
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
DrDeath

Well, I drilled the holes for my motor mount and test fitted the engine to the plane. The problem is the bolts rub against the side of the mount. I can put the two lower bolts in from the bottom. I do not have access to top two from behind, so I will have to sand a little of the mount to allow them to fit easier. I need to check the thickness in order not to weaken the mount.

I have also finished up mounting one of the servos in the wing. The left wing servo is mounted and the movement is almost perfect. I have to do a little more sanding to allow full upward deflection of the control surface. I will post pictures of that tomorrow after I have finshed the right wing. One the servos are in the wings, I will start to cover those parts of the plane. The fuse will wait.

Here are the pictures of the mounted engine. Notice that the top bolts are slightly in, I will sleep on how I want to deal with this tomorrow. Maybe use a long ratchet wrench to insert those bolts. Too tired to really think about it. I will post more pictures tomorrow. Here are the engines loosely fitted onto the fuese.

Lee

Name:	Ki18569.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	294546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42006.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	294547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24215.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	294548  
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Meesh

Hi Lee.

Instead of grinding clearance in the mount just check up the capscrews in an electric dril and rotate them with the drill while grinding the outside diameter of the head on a bench grinder.

Another way, depending on what tools you have available, would be to put them in a drill press, run it SLOW, and try to file the outside diameter of the head.

Removing metal from the screw won't weaken it as long as you don't take too much off.

I saw m buddy last night at the meeting. He hasn't started my Spacewalker yet but I did find out he does have a digital camera. Looks like I'll be able to post pics of his progress.

He was talking about hinging the cowl so it opens like the real plane!

Bob
Old 07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
DrDeath

Man, I should send my cowl up to him to have mine done . I like the idea of grinding down the bolt head. I think I will have to used the drill press rout. I have a belt/disc sander but not a bench grinder. I do have the drill press so I can use a file to grind them down.

I will not be using the picture wire but instead I will be using fishing leader wire. I was told that the picture wire may be a little too brittle, but the fishing wire is very strong and a guy at my field is using it as a pull/pull setup in his 40% Radiocraft. I have to go pick some up today during lunch. I will use this first on my Cub as a test then setup my Spacewalker with the 8 wires! Can't wait to see the start of yours. Good luck!

Lee
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Meesh

Lee,

Use the belt or disc sander. It will be easier than trying to file them. They are pretty hard.

Bob
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 PM
DrDeath

WINGS ARE DONE!

I have finished the servo tray installation and the servo install! The geometry of the servo is perfect! I will now finish prepping the wings and the center section for covering this weekend. I would like to have something covered and finished to say that somethine is totally checked off of my list. Next on the list

1) Cover center wing section. I have puttied and sanded so the surface is pretty smooth. (start covering this weekend, I hope )
2) Finish Wing servo bays, covers and linkages. Start covering wings (start covering this weekend)
3) Work on Tail feathers. Not really happy with how they fit. Also, I need to decide If I am going to put the elevator servos in the tail or the fuse. Leaning toward the tail for added weight in the back with the G-38 up front (partially complete)
4) installation of engine and plumbing (partially complete)
5) Cover fuse and tail feathers
6) Install radio equipment
7) Paint blue star burst accent on plane
8) Balance and setup radio
9) Maiden

Name:	Om31815.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	294792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27736.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	294793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85793.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	294794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10233.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	294795  
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 PM
DrDeath

I have sanded the bolts for the engine mount. This was done by putting some electrical tape around the threads of the bolt for cushion and mounting the bolts in an electric drill. I then turned on my belt/disc sander combo and turned on the drill. The spinning drill made sure the bolt was evenly ground down and kept it perfectly round. I only took off about .5 mm of the bolt. As you can see the bolts still have enough around the hex to keep from breaking. The bolts now have enough clearance to go into the FW without rubbing against that sides of the engine mount. I have also fuel proofed the FW with thinned epoxy. I have also double checked the alignment of the cowl with the mark for the drive shaft. They lined up perfectly. I will probably cut the cowl tomorrow after I buy some more parts for the flying wires. I will be using fishing leader wire that is 250# test. Don't think I have to worry about the wire snapping, more like the connection to the plane. I will post pictures of the wire setup after I have completed the task. Price of a Sullivan kit $22, price of 30 feet of 250# leader wire (flexible steel 1x7) $3! The parts are just as cheap.

Here are some pictures of the bolts and the mark on the cowl.

That's all for now

Lee

Name:	Wt58925.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	295438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28809.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	295439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41680.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	295440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23917.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	295441  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 PM
DrDeath

I haven't been too motivated to work on the plane, but I did start working on the flying wires and one wing. I have drilled holes for the flying wires for the tail feathers. I am trying to work out a good way to use the fishing leader wire for the wires. My first try was OK, but I think I will go a different rout. I will post when I am satisfied with the results.

I have also hinged and covered the bottom half of the left wing. Worldtex/Solartex is great stuff. I hinged the control surface with a combination of Gorilla glue, Epoxy and CA (don't ask) . I covered the leading and trailing edge of the control surface and the wing and attached the control surface to the wing. I then finished covering the bottom half. I started working on the right wing, but the beers started to kick in so [], I thought better of working anymore tonight. Here are the pictures of the finished wing. I do know that this covering will be an expensive endeavor. I used up a 2 meter roll on the bottom half of the wing and the bottom half of the center section. At this rate I will have used two rolls just to do the bottom of the wing and cover the top and bottom of the center section . This good deal on a plane will still cost me a little bit of money. Oh, well, all that the wife knows is that everything cost $50!!!![:-].

That's all for now

Name:	Ay74157.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	299315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52725.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	299316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38661.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	299317  
Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Meesh

looking good lee.

typing one handed. rotator cuff surgery yesterday

bob
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 AM
DrDeath

Thanks for the compliment Bob,

Guess that the surgery will take you away from any stick time for a while . How is your Spacewalker coming along?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Meesh

thanks lee.

the doc said 12 weeks before i can start therapy.

i was under the knife for 3 hours. all caused by a fall down the cellar stairs last november.

i haven't heard from my builder yet. i'll see him at the club meeting aug. 3rd.

take care
bob
Old 07-27-2005, 08:56 AM
AnthonyH
My Feedback: (16)

Since this looks to be the most active thread on the spacewalker maybe you guys can help me.

I need the control throws for both high and low rates on all surfaces.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.