Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Old 07-27-2005, 09:24 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

AnthonyH,

I will check my documentation when I get home and send them to you later tonight. But you are correct, this is probably the only 1/3 Spacewalker thread. How far along are you on your build? Post pictures.

I will be adding some additional pictures later tonight or tomorrow. I have hinged both wings and will be covering the other half of the wing, middle section tonight or tomorrow. I have also noticed that I am missing a cross bracing for the servo bay compartment so I will be adding that in tonight.

Hope this helps.

Lee
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
AnthonyH
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My build is complete I bought it used from a club member. He got it from a family member in Indiana. It has a G-38 on it. All I had to do was install radio and patch some hangar rash. It needs a recovering job done on it, but I decided to just get her flying for now. I have a Robinhood on the build table right now and once it is finished I will strip the Spacewalker down and recover it. There are some other issues with it that I may address as well. It is a clipped-wing Spacewalker...it has a one-piece 92" wing with built-up tips. The servos are mounted in the center of the wing and uses dowel pushrod out to a bellcrank that goes to the aileron horn. That setup has a little slop so I will move the servos out like you have in your pics here. The gear is not scale either. It is aluminum dural gear mounted to the fuse just in front of the wing. I will probably change it back to the 3-piece wing with the scale gear and use aluminum wing tubes instead of the brackets that came with the kit. I will get some pics of her tonight and post them. Servos I am using are hs475hb on rudder and ailerons and a hs645mg on elevator.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
DrDeath

Sounds great! Your wingspan is about a foot shorter than the full wing. She should really do some good acrobatics with the clipped wing. Not sure if the HiTec 475 will be enough torque @ 61oz/76oz for rudder on this big bird. Even though the rudder isn't overly huge, there is a lot of plane to move around and you will need a strong servo with some good holding power. The documentation talks about heavy duty servos all the way around. The 645 @ 107oz/133oz will be enough for the elevator, but I would replace at least the one on the rudder with a 645. I have also read on another acrobatic thread that the KARBONITE shafts have failed. Just something to be aware of.

From all of the PMs I got from a lot of different people and a guy at my field who used to fly one the G-38 is the perfect engine for this plane. Should fly very scale. I have been really lazy the past couple of days. Flew all day Sunday and when I got home I flew my Blade Heli in the front of my house. I worked on the plane Monday night and finished hinging the right wing. I had planned on finishing covering the wings but was lazy and went to bed last night around 9:00 pm. Will be motivated to work on it tonight.

Glad you found us here. Hope you enjoy the plane.

Lee
Old 07-27-2005, 05:46 PM
DrDeath

Here is the information from the manual

Recommended Control Surface Movements

Elevator= 1 1/8" UP, 1 1/8" DOWN
Rudder= 2" LEFT, 2" RIGHT
Ailerons= 1 1/16" UP, 15/16" DOWN

The control measurements listed above should give full aerobatic capability if your Spacewalker is properly balanced. Test flights may indicate a need for more or less movement, depending on individual model performance and personal preference. NOTE: If you have built your Spacewalker with the short (4-bay) ailerons, increase the throws given above by another 3/8" in both directions.

The CG is 4 1/2" to 5 1/5" aft of the wing leading edge. Since the wing is a big ole Hersey bar, you can probably measure this from the tip or the fuse. I would measure this from the fuse to be on the safe side.

If there are any other questions please let me know. The kit I have had all four blue print sheets and all documentation. I will post some pictures later on tonight.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Howdy all,
Just run across this thread, look'n good guys. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Been fly'n mine now for 17 yrs. It's one great airplane. Mine also has an OS 300 Gemini, great matchup. Weights 19 1/2lbs. dry.
I split the cowl for easier access.
When I built mine there only two scale color schemes (black & red and red & yellow) available, didn't like eather, so did my own.
Have also seen them fly on G38 and OS 320 4cyl. and they all flew great.
I always said it is like a low winged Cub.
It is a great flying plane and will also do a few tricks, it will do a slow motion Lomshovoke (spelling??) that's to die for.
Keep up the good work, you'll love it.

Del Johnson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24674.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	302697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10133.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	302698  
Old 07-29-2005, 09:17 AM
DrDeath

17 years old, that is impressive. Ball park guess, how many flights do you think you have on her?

I agree with you on the different color schemes. I really didn't care for the traditional Red/Yellow scheme. I was leaning toward the Red/Black but thought that it maybe difficult to see in the evening so I went for a White/Blue star color scheme.

I will keep the thread updated on my progress.

Lee
Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
AnthonyH

What is the distance in inches and number of bays from the ailerons to the wing center (root)? I am trying to determine how my wing was clipped. I don't have the plans to go by either.
Are your planes turning out nose heavy with the G-38? I noticed mine has a big hunk of lead in the tail and it still balances at the 4 1/2" mark.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Grizak

I've had my Spacewalker for 3 seasons. I just flew it earlier this week. I have a Quadra 42 in it, and it flies great. I didn't have to add any weight to balance. My Quadra 42 is an older engine that includes the heavier cup mount and spring starter. It is definitely one of the nicest planes I have flown. I built the wing as a one piece wing to avoid extra setup time at the field. Here are a couple pics.

Grizak

Name:	Yw68096.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	302984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33648.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	302985  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
DrDeath

Nice looking plane. What size pilot do you have in it? I am looking for a pilot now.

I plan on putting together scale Continental engines from [link=http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/Continental/ContinentalEngine.html]The Cub Den[/link]. He sent me plans for a 1/3 version of the engine. I have a lot of work, and right now little motivation. So my planed October timeframe has turned into a March/April timeframe.

Lee
Old 07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Grizak

The pilot is an Officer and Gentleman pilot that I bought from H.P. Pilots. (www.hppilots.com) They have an assortment of styles. I think mine may be closer to 1/4 scale than 1/3 scale but I wanted my pilot to stand higher out of the cockpit so I can get a scarf that will flow nicely off of his neck while flying.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

It don't have a tremendous amount of flights on it, maybe 6 or 8 a year on average.
Since I got into the WW1 stuff a few years ago, haven't flown it much. None this year yet.

Del
Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
DrDeath

AnthonyH

Here are the specs on my wing

Span= 104"
There are 5 bays (approx 21 inches) to the inner most point of the aileron
My ailerons are 6 bays (26.5 inches) wide.

Quick Update

Here are pictures of the bottom portion of the covered wing, still has some wrinkles that need to be removed. As you can see it is a big freakin wing when it is all put together. Wide and long. Items next to do on the wing is to cut out the servo bay holes and cover the lite ply tops for the holes, drill holes for the screws and cover the other side. I need to get motivated! Not really into building right now, so I better leave it alone. No work tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Lee

Name:	Ge96683.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	303110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15966.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	303111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17588.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	303112  
Old 07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
AnthonyH

Thanks for the info. It appears that the center 2 bays were cut out of mine. I can't really tell since the entire center is fully sheeted up to the last bay from the ailerons. My ailerons are 6 bays as well, but are only 24". I have 4 bays from aileron to root and that distance is 15". I guess the bays are closer together on my wing than on yours as well. I was told it flew well so I guess I am not going to worry about it untill I recover it. I saw video from the cockpit that the previous owner took and it was awesome! It flew and landed very smooth. I will get some pics of it and post sometime this weekend...maybe.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:03 AM
kregan

I don't see a trash can in that work shop DD!

Whenever I loose motivation I do a shop clean up and start over
with a clean table and a new sense of direction!

ORIGINAL: DrDeath

Here are pictures of the bottom portion of the covered wing, still has some wrinkles that need to be removed. As you can see it is Lee
Old 07-30-2005, 05:09 PM
DrDeath

There is a plastic bag near the door to the left of the table hanging off the back of a folding chair . The workshop is quit a mess right now. I need to get one of those wire frame trash bag holders for my shop. I really need to organize my shop a little better than it currently is. I was up to the field today and wasn't many people there, I didn't feel like flying. I have been running around for the wife today, Costco, Giant and Hardware City today. Boy, am I tired.

My daughter is having a sleep over tonight, so I will probably be working in the shop tonight to keep from listening to the giggling girls . Just you wait, your time is coming with the little girl sleep overs.

I will post more pictures of the Spacewalker project tonight or tomorrow.

Later
Old 07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
kregan

I was going to fly today, but I went to Kirk's and cut some SSC wings...
Anyway the Space walker is coming along nice, keep up the good work.

ORIGINAL: DrDeath

There is a plastic bag near the door to the left of the table hanging off the back of a folding chair . The workshop is quit a mess right now. I need to get one of those wire frame trash bag holders for my shop. I really need to organize my shop a little better than it currently is. I was up to the field today and wasn't many people there, I didn't feel like flying. I have been running around for the wife today, Costco, Giant and Hardware City today. Boy, am I tired.

My daughter is having a sleep over tonight, so I will probably be working in the shop tonight to keep from listening to the giggling girls . Just you wait, your time is coming with the little girl sleep overs.

I will post more pictures of the Spacewalker project tonight or tomorrow.

Later
Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 PM
DrDeath

[:'(], that combat stuff again. yuck, phooey. LOL
Old 08-01-2005, 06:13 PM
AnthonyH

I am finally getting around to adding pics of my Spacewalker with the clipped wing to 92". I tried to show the wing bays and the distance between ribs.

Name:	Tq48708.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	304407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm39021.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	304408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12158.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	304409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37338.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	304410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13206.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	304411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22419.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	304412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik89672.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	304413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr60238.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	304414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf67448.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	304415  
Old 08-01-2005, 07:14 PM
DrDeath

AnthonyH

She is nice looking. I see what you mean with the aileron push rods. After looking at your plane I have the plans for the right wing sitting in front of me and I measured each bay going to the aileron tip. The first bay is the one that is at the middle or root of your wing.

Middle Section
Bay #1 3 13/16 on center
Bay #2 4 on center
Bay #3 4 on center 4 1/4 to the end

Right Wing
Bay #4 4 1/2 on center
Bay #5 4 1/2 on center

Aileron starts here.

These measurements come from the plans so you have a little more information about the wing make up then I gave you before. Hope this helps

Lee
Old 08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
DrDeath

Good news , Bad news [&o]

I have finished completely covering the center section and the left wing. I have completed the servo bays, attached the control rod and test setup the throws for the wing. It is great to see a little more items completed. In the second picture, I need to heat shrink the covering a little better and drill the screw holes. I am also debating whether to seal around the hatch for a little cleaner look or just leave it be. Really depends on how anal I get between now and I am ready to fly her.

The bad news is that I almost ran through 6 meters of covering for the following

1) One complete left wing half
2) One complete mid section
3) Bottom half of the right wing half

I have a lot of large pieces to use on the tail feathers, gear and other parts, but D*&$, this wing has a lot of surface! Anyway, I have to order some more tomorrow and order my wheels. Here are the latest pictures.

Thanks for the interest guys!
Lee

Name:	Fd92228.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	304454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90245.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	304455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75126.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	304456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89881.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	304457  
Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
DrDeath

Anybody want a 50% version

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=115641

Man, maybe if I really like the 1/3 scale, I will tackle a Half scale version...NOT! Too much area to cover

Anyway, I have ordered 3 more rolls of covering just in case and I am waiting for the following items to come in

1) Du-Bro RC 4-40 Rigging Couplers for the flying wires
2) 3 Rolls of covering
3) 2700 mAh battery (the one I purchased has gone into my Cub)
4) Longer 1/4 bolts for the engine

Maybe as Kelly said, I should clean up my shop while I am waiting. Hopefully all of my stuff will be in on Friday. Wife and kid are going to visit her father so I have all weekend to FLY and BUILD!!!

Lee
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
DrDeath

Well, my covering finally arrived at my local hobby shop. I picked it up today and the wing is completely finished!![sm=thumbup.gif]. I have setup the control rods and setup the radio. I am glad that I have something on this project totally completed. I did get a little bit of oil/exhaust residue on the wing but it came off with some denatured alcohol. I plased the wing on the plane rack and forgot that I had some residue from my cub there .

My LHS forgot to order by Dubro connectors so I can't start on the flying wires until later this week. I need to purchase some longer 1/4 inch bolts for the motor mount and I will pick these up this week. Here are the pics of the completed wing mounted on the Spacewalker. I am really starting to get into the White with Blue starburst scheme. Well will update you guys later on this week after I finish the flying wires and cutting slots for the elevator.

For those who haven't seen one of these up close, I see why they say the wing is a surfboard. The workbench that the plane is on is a solid core door, standard size 80x36 inch. As you see the wing is a little over half the width and 24 inches longer than the door. I should have just covered the door and bolted to the bottom of the plane. Enjoy.

Lee

Name:	Sp45238.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	307636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66793.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	307637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46330.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	307638  
Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Hi Lee,

I'm back on line again recovering nicely from the shoulder surgery. Started therapy yesterday. Did you hear me screaming?[X(] I don't know what happend but I haven't been getting E:mails from RCU about postings on this thread.[]

Your plane is looking great! What a nice job you did on that wing. There sure is a lot of real estate to cover there isn't there?

I saw my builder the other day. He said he hasn't started it yet. Doesn't look like I'll be flying it before the winter. Oh well, it will be great to start out a flying season with a huge new plane.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see to it finished.

Bob
Old 08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Bob for the kind words.

Glad you are back online! My wife is also in physical therapy for her shoulder so I understand your pain. I would check to see if you are still setup to get alerts from this thread.

Sorry to hear that your builder hasn't started on your Spacewalker yet. This plane is starting to really really grow on me the more I work on it. I can't wait to start working on the cockpit detail. From what I hear this plane should fly like a low wing Cub. Next up on the list is to work on the tail feather hinging. I would have loved to have finished working on the flying wires, but the LHS didn't order by stuff, so I have to wait until Thursday.

Anyway, take care of that shoulder

Lee
Old 08-10-2005, 08:16 AM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Lee,

You mentioned you needed some spacing for the engine. Here is a pic of the GP mount. Not only would it eliminate that bolt problem, you bolt from the back on the cup mount then bolt the plate on. Plus it reduces vibration. You may have already gone through this, I couldn't read the whole thread here at work.

MT

Name:	Mk25139.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	308282  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.