Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
rob020880

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Do you think the DLE 30cc will fit in the cowl without cutting, except for the stacks, and carb of course. I am interested in this one but would hate to ruin the scale lines.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rob020880

Do you think the DLE 30cc will fit in the cowl without cutting, except for the stacks, and carb of course. I am interested in this one but would hate to ruin the scale lines.
It's hard to tell but it's going to be close. From the center of the crank to the edge of the carb it's 3 9/16". The cowl is 8 1/2" at the back and about 8 1/8" up front. That leaves about 4 1/16" to 4 1/4". It also depends on how far down the cylinder is to the curve in the bottom edge of the cowl. I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst .
Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 PM
fabmaster911

I'm going to go with a Webra Bully. 35cc's That is of course if I have prop clearance. She'll swing a 20 but 18 or 19 would work alright also.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

I'm going to go with a Webra Bully. 35cc's That is of course if I have prop clearance. She'll swing a 20 but 18 or 19 would work alright also.
fabmaster911,

That Webra Bully sounds like a nice engine for the Taylorcraft. Using a 20" prop will probably leave you about an inch ground clearance. I had also thought about a three blade prop. I don't know if any of the full scale Taylorcrafts used a three blade prop or not.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
leedees

On this Taylorcraft, the way the elevator servos are setup there's one servo per side with the servo control arms both facing inward. In order to make this setup work using a Y extension one of the servos has to be reversed. I can't figure out how to do this with my DX7.

Do any of you guys know how to do this?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
gade600sdi

In your old version, with the 160 fx how big was your tank, and how long could you fly on that tank?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM
jmohn

Leedees,

You can use a Y with and inline reverser. The only problem will be making sure they are both moving together. I have a 9303 now and it's easy to mix two servos for the elevator. I can't remember if the DX7 can do this? On the 9303 you need to go into flight mode and turn off the switch the controls the servo (AUX2) and slave that to the elevator using a mix function. That will make them move together and also let's you use sub trim to make adjustments. I think the DX7 can do this too.

Jeff
Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
gade600sdi

Leedees, I use an reversing Y harness from Expert Electronics its $8 on the Horizon website. Works great and avoids problems with trying to figure out from your manual on your radio if you can mix and use another channel or not. Just like a regular Y harness but it reverses one of the servos.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
fabmaster911

Those servo reversers are no good. As the temperature varies so does the trim on your elevator. You'll end up readjusting it before every flight dang near. The JR matchboxes do work very well but they are higher priced. Try this out. I found it on FG.

I had no trouble with this. I mixed elevator to Aux 2, using pmix 5 or 6 (this allows trims to pass through) I then zeroed out the travel for Aux 2, then I went to the servo reversing reversed aux 2, then I went to the sub trim menu and sub trimed the servo.

I used the P mix amounts to match the throws, SW: on OFFSET: 0

My elevators match perfect
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Les Nessman

The link below shows the servo reverser I use, and have not had any issues with it so far.

http://www.futabarc.com/radioaccys/futm4150.html -
Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
fabmaster911

I agree but that one is also $40 not $8 or $10. There is no reason for him to buy one anyway when his radio is capable of doing the mix.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

If anybody is interested in adding more scale details, I have more pictures of the full-scale Taylorcraft used as a model by Hanger 9 about 8-9 years ago.

When I built my Taylorcraft, I was fortunate to get in contact with the (then) current owner, Harold Hanson. He graciously took some pics and mailed me a pile of 8x10 glossies.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65933.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1275268  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
fabmaster911

It just so happens that I found a Vinyl cutter that does excellent work and she smokes everybody on price. I'd love to see your pics. If anyone is interested i'll have her make several and we can all scale them out. I'd let them go for whatever she charges me.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
JoeMamma

This is how I handled the dual elevator problem on my 9-year-old Hanger 9 Taylorcraft. I used a Central Hobbies bellcrank. One less servo to worry about.

Don't know if it will work on the new Hanger 9 Taylorcraft.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69773.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1275293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30725.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1275294  
Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 AM
dale691

Nice bellcrank setup.

Anyone thinking of using a saito FG-20?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

It just so happens that I found a Vinyl cutter that does excellent work and she smokes everybody on price. I'd love to see your pics. If anyone is interested i'll have her make several and we can all scale them out. I'd let them go for whatever she charges me.
fabmaster911,

I see a decal behind the cabin window and one on the vertical fin. Is that all there is or is there some hidden that I don't see?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM
gade600sdi

Joemamma, the bellcrank looks nice, but with all that trouble just use another servo plus then you have more protection if one goes out you at least have one.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
gade600sdi

Fabmaster, I have used the reverser with no problems and no trim issues so far. I will watch it but not sure what you are concerned with but I will keep an eye on my trim.

As far as the radio option, I have a Futaba 6EX 2.4 and it does have the ability to use channel 2 as the master and 5 as the slave. I set it up last night and I did not end up using a reverser the manual on the Futaba does not show this but I emailed Futaba and they sent me back the procedure to do this using Premix 1 and Premix 2. Granted this is an entry level radio and does not have too many bells and whistles, but it can be done. The only drawback is you do not have a sub trim, so after flying if you trim, it will only affect one side (master) so after you land you need to manually match the other elevator side (slave) by rotating the clevis. This shouldn't be a problem once set up I dont adjust trims that much after the first couple flights.

I someday hope to get a JR 9303 that has more features than the Futaba, but for now for the money the Futaba 2.4s have been absolutely flawless as far as signal reception and performance for the money I have 3 of them and they work awesome.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM
gade600sdi

Hey, did anybody actually finish this model yet and fly it? What motors are you using. I am second guessing the G26 I guess due to weight. I figure the wing loading at 31 with a G20ei and 33 with a G26ei. Is this a big differnece in wing loading? Will the G20 have enough power?

I am basically adding one pound of nose weight with the G26 vs. the G20. I am concerend this thing will be very nose heavy. With an extra pound up front, I will likely have to have 3-4 long sticks of lead on the tail? Will this thing be a tank when I am done?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
leedees

Hey guys, thanks for the many solutions to the dual servo elevator setup. I did finally get it sorted out by using Aux2 and mix 5 on the DX7. Seems to work perfectly.

One of the fellows on the forum sent me this link:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1798
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

If anybody is interested in adding more scale details, I have more pictures of the full-scale Taylorcraft used as a model by Hanger 9 about 8-9 years ago.

When I built my Taylorcraft, I was fortunate to get in contact with the (then) current owner, Harold Hanson. He graciously took some pics and mailed me a pile of 8x10 glossies.

Joe M.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

Joe M.

Joe,

That's a great picture. I would really appreciate it if you would post post as many pictures as practical. I have looked everywhere on the web for pictures ot the full scale airplane. If anyone has web links with more information about he full scale plane that would be great.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM
leedees

The build on my Taylorcraft is going smoothly. It's a dramatic looking, solid airplane that's built like a tank once you get all the struts bolted on.

One thing I have noticed is the 'functioning landing gear' suspension doesn't have any function that I can see.

There's a fairly heavy spring on the gear struts but the struts have no spring action at all. They seem to be solid as far as I can tell.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
fabmaster911

Zippi, the other guy said he has all those photos so we'll have to see what else there is for graphics. There has to be tail numbers and stuff I guess.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
gade600sdi

Leedees, did you check the squareness of the fin. I bolted mine together and its off a little bit like 1-2 degree from 90. There is no easy way to fix it at this point but wondering when I get to the tail struts if you can tighten the one side to square it up at that point. If not I will have to figure some way to shim it to square up the fin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.