Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
While I see and agree with you to a point. I have to ask, have you worked with our military lately?

Up until a couple of years ago I was heavily involved as a government contractor with the DoD. Prior to that I was myself Air Force for 20 years. I've been in and around the military for 43 years total. And they are not what they were 43 years ago.

Our military today is little more than a giant social experiment being conducted by the left. Did you know the military will pay for sex change operations and treatment among active duty members today? I am amazed that they still manage to get the real job done. Then there's the problem of fully 1/3 of American youth being too fat for military service.

I could go on but looking at our military today, had it been this way 45 years ago, I never would have joined.
If they were to go with mandatory service, the gang situation would be totally different. Unless a whole gang went into the same branch of service at the same time, all had the same MOS and secondary training locations AND all got posted the same place after training, the gang would pretty much fall apart through a loss of communication. I, for one, can't see a whole group of kids being allowed to stay together for that long since the detailers will send people where they are needed, not to where their friends are. I can't say it's the same as when I was in the Navy but, unless the military has gone "country club", it will still change those that go in. That is most true for the Army and Marines.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Of course, when the police are afraid to shoot for fear of starting a riot, that doesn't help either.
Or being convicted of murder for doing your job. Sure 16 rounds is excessive, but unless a person has been in that situation, they will never know.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Trust me, being shot at is not an experience you ever want to have, been there had that, from an AK-47
If I was a police officer, I wouldn't hesitate to draw a gun on someone if I felt threatened. What I would do, however, is hold off on putting my finger on the trigger until I was sure firing was my last resort.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Airacobra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my Somethin Extra. Powered with an OS .46 AX. Tons of power and this plane is a great deal of fun. Easy build and really a nice kit, just like all other SIG kits they are just awesome!!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

VERY nice plane!!!! Well done!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Great covering job!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK Sig Brotherhood. I've been dragging this kit around for 30 or so years. Time to build my Somethin' Extra. However, I'm of a mind to change some things about it. Been doing some research and have come up with the following ideas. Tell me what you think.

Trike gear - simple operation to do. I just like trikes for sport planes.
NIB OS .61 FSR vice a .46. Have both on hand. Might have to do some mods (wider) to the fuselage to accommodate the 61 and in particular, a suitable tank for it.
Side mount motor with a pitts style muffler and cowl the thing in. Maybe cowl cheeks for some style.
New wing that tapers the TE and is a bit longer to maintain the sq inches. Also incorporates the ailerons and flaps into the TE vice the slab additions in the kit. Would make new ribs, etc for this wing and preserve the original. Maybe go with both wings and see which one I like best.

Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I wouldn't modify the SSE wing in any way shape or form. It does very well just as it is! You may induce stall tendencies at HAOA that it wouldn't normally have. The SSE can Harrier with the wing as it is, so no need for flaps either. Heck I was able to bring the plane down with minor damage when the elevator servo failed in the up position thanks to the wing. Guys behind me thought I was messing around, not knowing I had no elevator control! As far as trike, hmm, possible, but don't know how it would affect the aerodynamics. Will be interesting for sure.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I wouldn't modify the SSE wing in any way shape or form. It does very well just as it is! You may induce stall tendencies at HAOA that it wouldn't normally have. The SSE can Harrier with the wing as it is, so no need for flaps either. Heck I was able to bring the plane down with minor damage when the elevator servo failed in the up position thanks to the wing. Guys behind me thought I was messing around, not knowing I had no elevator control! As far as trike, hmm, possible, but don't know how it would affect the aerodynamics. Will be interesting for sure.
My main complaint with the wing is it just looks too much like a converted control line model. (Who knows? Maybe it is!) But I simply do not like it. My thought is to add some 4-5 inches to the length of the wing and taper the TE accordingly to keep the same wing area. Airfoil will be the same however this too will be thinned as you go to the wingtip. I know of similar wing mods that have resulted in superior performance.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Airacobra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the plane flies exceptionally well as built and honestly, when wanting to make modifications to airfoils and such it may be easier just to design your own bird based on your own experience and performance you seek. This plane just is what it is, if my memory serves me correctly, the designer did fly control line for years so there is some influence on the bird from that.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I've ALWAYS LOVED Sig kits and am very thankful that they are still offered. I'm currently finishing up a 4Star .40......built my 1st one 21yrs. ago as my very first kit ever!
Anyway, I'm really wanting to build a Kougar/Kobra and possibly a SSE. On the SSE, how does it do with high speed tumbling type maneuvers etc? In other words, can a person get a good crankshaft or KE spin out of it? What about a PopTop? I'm just curious as to how they handle hardcore aerobatics (XA type flying). I've heard it said many times that they "fly good" just wondering if anyone could elaborate on that.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:56 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My main complaint with the wing is it just looks too much like a converted control line model. (Who knows? Maybe it is!)
As I understand it, the Somethin' Extra uses the same wing as the Fazer.

While the Fazer is a profile RC model, the instruction book shows how to build it a a controline plane, with coupled flaps and elevator control.

It also just so happens that the kit number for the Fazer is 68 and that for the Somethin' Extra is 76. So the Fazer was produced first.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:19 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Since Sig no longer publishes these things, I dug into my archive to check the Fazer manual, where the designer talks about the reasoning and inspiration for the design.

Check it out on page 1.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sigrc68fazer.pdf (4.01 MB, 50 views)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 PM
skylark-flier

Interestingly enough, right now there's a built Fazer on the bay - converted to C/L. Priced at $175 (at the moment), it's not totally out of line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Lin...Lxb:rk:23:pf:0
Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Inventor48

Default Inventor48

Hi I am beginning to restore a Bravo.
Have gathered together all the bits and pieces, except the Tail Cone.
Anyone have one or know where I may find one.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM
skylark-flier

Hey! Welcome to the SIG Brotherhood. Hoping some of the guys here can help in your restoration. Bravos are always good planes to work with.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:12 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Inventor48
Hi I am beginning to restore a Bravo.
Have gathered together all the bits and pieces, except the Tail Cone.
Anyone have one or know where I may find one.

Thanks
Welcome !

A friend and I have both built the Bravo. We feel that the tail cone can be shaped from block balsa.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Welcome !

A friend and I have both built the Bravo. We feel that the tail cone can be shaped from block balsa.

I would tend to agree which is probably why the only Bravo fiberglass part you can't get from Fiberglass Specialties is the tail cone.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:01 AM
Inventor48

Hi
Thanks for your responses.
Fabing up a tail cone was my plan "B" and looks like that will become plan "A".
I have all the available parts from Fiberglass Specialties and I must say there are very good
quality and require only some minor fitting. A light sand and ready to paint.
As I move along I will have some questions, goal is to have plane look like it did in 1985.
I have a Quadra Q35 engine and to me it is a monster in physical size and weight, but want to use it as it came with the plane.
The fire wall was damaged so I have removed it.
Noted that the plan seems to call for a 1/4" or 3/8" ply, but the engine manual calls for a 1/2'' fire wall.
Any suggestions.

Also I am starting a four star 40 kit, that will be modified. But that's another project will talk about an other time.

Again many thanks to all .
Old 12-05-2018, 11:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could easily laminate another piece of ply to the firewall, if you feel that it is necessary.

My Bravo was built as the kit suggested and I had no problems with my firewall, using a Zenoah G-38.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 PM
GUS THE I.A.

Default Ten posts yet?

Ten posts yet?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 PM
GUS THE I.A.

Default Has it been 10 posts?

10 posts this time?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM
GUS THE I.A.

Default Need 10 posts

Are we at 10 yet?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GUS THE I.A.
Are we at 10 yet?
Well, I see you joined RCU in 2017 and are at 9 posts, so one more post and you hit that magic number 10. I imagine it must be a magic number.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

dang things never work out for me, I was going to order a SIG's 4 Star 64 "kit" yesterday, but they don't come as a kit

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.