Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 PM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Hey guys.
Here are my first phases of my Topflite 1/7 scale P51 build. I just have the fin, rudder, and horiz stab done. In the pics, I haven't sanded one tip of the stab as I am well burnt out on sanding. The Fin top and bottom as you can see was a lot of sanding and the ribs, top and bottom of the rudder were sanded down as well. The ribs also weren't die cut, so I had to sand them to shape. The result so far is really good looking tail feathers. The next step is the wing. I will keep you guys posted as much as I can. As a preview I will be putting retracts (with doors, possibly inner and outer), flaps, drop tanks and debating lights. For power I will be going with a YS 1.10, and radio gear is still not decided. If any of you have had experience with this kit, please feel free to chime in as I am all open to advice.

Sorry the pics are so dark, but it was 3am in the morning. :P

Adam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43803.jpg
Views:	2237
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	259541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26625.jpg
Views:	1651
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	259542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45949.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	259543  
Old 04-18-2005, 12:05 AM
zope_pope

Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Also the burn marks on the LE of the rudder and TE of the fin are from the laser, I guess, they used to cut incredibly thick balsa! Crazy and messy, but I couldn't get it off too much without changing the shape of it.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Rate1

Looking good Adam,
keep it up.

Christian
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
zope_pope

Wing Construction starts Wednesday Night. I have a lot of work in between now and then. If anyone has some hints, tips, mods, etc for the wing, please let me know. Thanks.

Adam
Old 04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Jimmbbo

Cool! Looking forward to watching your build... Have one awaiting construction!

Cheers!

Jim
Old 04-21-2005, 10:14 AM
zope_pope

Hey, I started the build last night and am having a hard time getting the warp out of the wing. Is it possible to wet the spar, place weights on the ribs and let it sit overnight? The spars were severely warped and even following the pairing of two oppositely warped spars I can't get it out! Crazyness. Never have had this issue before. The warm is very very minor, like 1/16" or less, but I am perfectionist and want this airplane to fly well, because its a tough one to fly as it is I hear. Let me know. Will be posting some updated pics and all today. I am working on the right wing currently. Let me know of what you come up with.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 AM
ecmiller

1/16 inch is not a big deal. Personally, I would not even worry about it. However, you can remove that with the wing sheeting. Just glue the sheeting on, weight the wing panel on a straight building board while the glue dries.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:46 AM
zope_pope

Cool. I was trying to do it with leading edges, trailing edges, and got all but that one sixteenth out. I will post some pics of the build so far tonight. I also decided to get rid of the crazy setup of the bell cranks and one aileron servo fr both on a high speed .60 size plane, and decided to throw in an aileron servos for each aileron. Saves time, and less slop. Anyone have any comments?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Flight Hawk

Thas what I did. No bell cranks. Mounted a servo in each wing for the ailerons.

Your progress is looking good so far and i agree with you on the sanding (it's quite the workout).

Larry
Old 04-22-2005, 03:43 PM
zope_pope

Here are some pics of the wings. I included a detailed pic of the notches I cut out to put sticks in for the aileron servo. Those bellcranks where ridiculous and on a high speed plane, I would prefer no slop. I used the same design as the flap servo. I think in the end I will be lighter and better off this way. Enjoy. This wing is coming out really nicely. Let me know if you have any input. Thanks!

Adam

Name:	Nl28600.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	261491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66981.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	261492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46518.jpg
Views:	1649
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	261493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99392.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	261494  
Old 04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
mpower11

Hey adam, your plane looks great. Just one suggestion. I know kits with warbirds (most kits really) require a lot of sanding, so just take your time and it won't end up in the "is it gunna fly" section. Hey, is that my .40 LA I see sitting there in your trainer. I think it is. Don't forget to bring it tomarrow when we fly.
Matt
Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
zope_pope

Hey guys, working on the retracts on the wings, any comments on how to get the retract doors to go flush with the fuse? I have heard f this problem and was wondering if anyone knows what i need to look out for. I don't have my retracts yet, so I think I will begin to build the other wing, just want a heads up when they do come in. Thanks.

Adam
Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

doin good.

for the doors, use springs
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Flight Hawk

Adam,

Which retracts are you going to use?

I installed Centry Jet Models in mine and i am unable to go with the gear doors (the langing gear doesn't go into the wing far enough for the doors.) If i would have modified the mounting rail depth, i might have been able to add doors.

Make sure you strengthen the gear mounting rails good with extra supports (just in case you have some hard landings or if you fly off grass)

p.s. Also beef up the tail wheel mount
Old 04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
zope_pope

I plan on using the Robart 605HD retracts. the Century jet ones are just a little to pricey for me. I also plan to use robostruts as well. Anyone mounted a retractable tail wheel? I was planning on it, but the instructions don't mention anything about it, so I guess i will need to improvise, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
zope_pope

Since the jig tabs have to be removed before I sheet the wing, it will be hard to Sheet so that the correct wash out is in. I am trying the ammonia and water solution to soak the wings and put weight on it. Anyone know how much, or what part of the wings to soak? I did it last night, but I believe It wasn't soaked enough as the wood is nearly dry and there wasn't too much change. Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

I must admit from your pics that I know how much sanding you have done as I am in the same stage of construction as you. I found the stab ribs were not uniform and I had to start the whole thing over before I sheeted..thinking I was not getting the correct taper from root to tip. The profile of Rib #3 only just did not help that much. I hope the vertical Stab goes better. I guess there is not much of an airfoil on the Hoz. Stab..is that true?. Also, would it be smart to get the ----- retracts while building the wing?. Thanks and keep up the this fine thread. Mikel-T
Old 05-01-2005, 11:36 PM
zope_pope

Just a quick update.
Here are both the wings I have built and I am building as straight and true as possible, but the nature of the wings are that they want wash out, and my wings are just perfectly straight! I am going to try some more windex and weights and see how that goes. Next up is the fuselage as I don't want to join the wings yet (they want to cut off the jig tabs and that would prevent me from warping the wings correctly).

Hi Mike,
Sanding, sanding, sanding. It looks like both me and you have tons of it ahead. The retracts would be smart to get while building the wings, but not neccesary. I don't have mine, but I am going to skip the step (last step before you join the wings) till later when I have the funds for the retracts (Taxes killed me.) There isn't very much airfoil on the stab as far as I can tell, and the Fin is worse than the stab as far as sanding! It is very rewarding after you have just sanded something very nicely, but doing it is definately a pain. When you do get to building the wings, try and build them with the washout it was designed with (extremely tough). If you have any questions, please post them on this thread to as they will probably help both of us and many others possibly building this kit.

Thanks everyone!
Adam

Name:	Ur52482.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	265730  
Old 05-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Bill DCat

When I was building this kit last year, I used a razor plane. You just plane the balsa blocks to their rough shape and then finish sanding them to their final shape. It made quick work of removing balsa.

I don't know if you were using one or not - but thought I'd mention it. You can see one [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAA64&P=7]here.[/link]
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 PM
zope_pope

To tell you the truth, I have one, but I cant figure out how to use it! :P It keeps chipping the balsa instead of taking little strips off. Any tips? Thanks. Also, any tips on how to get the washout in the wing, I tried as hard as I could, but my wing comes out very straight!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Bill DCat

If the razor plane is chipping the balsa, it's taking too big of a bite. Loosen the screw and back the blade back into the plane - just a small adjustment, then retighten the screw. Now try it again. Eventually it'll remove long, thin strips of balsa - instead of digging into it. It's a real work saver when it works right.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
zope_pope

Cool. I will try that as soon as work and school stops kicking my butt. :P Let me know how your project is going. I think I am going to ask top flite about the wing situation
Old 05-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Adam: Hey, did you put the counter balance tabs in the hor. stab? -AND- I noticed that the 3/4 by 3/4" blocks that are shown on the plan (to be added against the stab TE for the hinges) is a lot thicker than how I have sanded it down in order to sheet it. Did I say that right? ie, I'm not left with a 3/4" TE if you follow the rib contours?. SO, MORE SANDING? THe first kit I ever built was a SIG J-3 ( @73"WS) and that kit gave you blocks of balsa that when sanded correctly came out as wing tips ( that was my introduction into using a finger-plane !) Any idea what 3M stock is going for now-a-days? Between my runny-nose allergies and the saw-dust I'm sneezing out 1 inch WOOD DOWELS!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
zope_pope

Haha,
I hear ya. The sanding is really making my nose run too! I didn't put the counterbalances on. I was hoping too, but I started the model on a bad note (to relax myself after a fight with the GF) and made a big mistake. So while fixing the mistake, I got to sheeting the whole stab and now I couldn't add the counterbalances. So I thought it would be dumb to have them on the fin and not the stab, so I decided against doing it on the fin. As far as the blocks are concerned I will have to look at the plans when I get home and let you know. Till next time.
Adam
Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

Hey guys,
I have been reading your threads , I am in the same area of building as all of you here. All the things mentioned could have been written by me as well. I am chimming in here because the counter balances where mentioned, I do not know what this is or how or what it did on the real plane. The instrutions do not say much about them, only that you can put them in if you like. Could someone give me a little input on them. I plan to just skip them for now and I have already sheeted one side of the stab. I could change my mind if it is worthwhile.
Thanks,
Brad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.