Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

I guess what I'd want to know more than anything, is who is actually making the engines. No different than any HK products. I don't know, does HK have their own manufacturing facility or is it a case of rebadging product from another manufacture? I don't know, that's why I'm asking, does anybody TRUTHFULLY know the answer?

Lets just say for sake of argument that these turbines were being supplied by a well known manufacture, to HK but they were able to somehow sell them for half the price (maybe the markup is that great that they could, again, I truthfully don't know). If one were to find out that these engines were being made by a reputable manufacture would they become popular?

More likely what would happen is the reputable manufacture would come under fire for selling their name brand products at a higher price instead of their brand X products at a lower price. So would the HK turbine end up selling well, would said reputable manufacture offer custom support or would that fall into the hands of HK? I will say that I have only ordered once from HK and the product was garbage. Yes they said they'd replace it once I shipped my batteries back, but the return shipping cost as much as the batteries. As such I've never been willing to take that risk again. That being the case, for me personally to want to consider an engine I would have to start seeing posts about HK like we see about companies like Dreamworks, nothing but praise . Then I would start to consider them again. It's not so much their product that has me turned off from dealing with them, it's the risk of bad product with no real recourse.

Glen, you're right, tons of people have had luck, and that's great, but for a guy like me, who ordered 2 batteries that were bad right out of the box, that is a 100% failure rate. Makes it hard to want to pull the trigger again on a less expensive product when I know of more expensive products that work. At the end of the day, I consider what part of my investment am I willing to lose? Well, when I built my Firebird, I chose the turbine with the best track record, the one that's been aroung longer than anyone, the one where I have never heard of a failure. There are other good companies out there, but what I had to weigh was, do I want a lifetime warranty, or do I want an engine that I'm more confident that I won't ever need a warranty. With a jet like the Firebird, if an engine fails, I don't just lose the engine, due to the type of airplane, I put the entire airframe at high risk. So in the case of an engine from HK, it comes down to accepted risk, and with my personal experience with HK, I don't want to take those risks.

As I say, it would be really interesting to hear who is manufacturing the engine for them, what are the build specs, tolerances, QC, etc. Then and only then would I even begin to consider one.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Pepperpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

Then I guess you had better return your...TV, DVD Player, Car (probably), Bed, Clothing, most of your kitchen appliances etc etc on and on. Ninety percent of items Americans buy come from China in one way or another. If we went by your thought process, TV's would still cost about 5 grand for an LCD/Plasma. Fact is the United States can no longer compete in the global market for electronics/entertainment and basic life items. Screaming and yelling about it isn't going to change a thing. Not at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Jetcat not built in Germany? Does JR and Hitec not outsource most of thier components to Asia? That is just the way the world works now.

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

IT IS ABOUT MAKING PRODUCTS IN THE USA ,, NOT ABOUT PRICE IF YOU CANT AFFORD THIS HOBBY GET OUT!!!!!!! WE NEED MORE MADE IN USA FINAL STATEMENT !!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete
Name something in this hobby that is 100 percent American besides the arrogant attitude that some (not all) show on here?

Jet Model Products aircraft and equipment
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

IT IS ABOUT MAKING PRODUCTS IN THE USA ,, NOT ABOUT PRICE IF YOU CANT AFFORD THIS HOBBY GET OUT!!!!!!! WE NEED MORE MADE IN USA FINAL STATEMENT !!!!
None of the reputable turbines that actually work are made in the usa. ..

~V~
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: wojtek

None of the reputable turbines that actually work are made in the usa. ..

~V~

Well, actually, though they aren't that popular, I haven't really heard any bad about Carlos' RTI engines, and as far as I know they are USA made. Carlos is a good guy, but, not really what I would call mainstream, none of the reputable mainstream turbines are made in the USA I suppose
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

YOU DONT NEED ANY TESTING IT IS MADE IN CHINA THEREFORE IT IS JUNK!!!!!!!!!
Almost everything in your "hangar" is made in China regardless of who sells it, or what brand it is. Better get out of the hobby so you aren't using "junk".
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Pepperpete

Oh I would be willing to bet I could find a Made In China sticker somewhere in that shop buddy. ;P

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Name something in this hobby that is 100 percent American besides the arrogant attitude that some (not all) show on here?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
LGM Graphix

Oh I would be willing to bet I could find a Made In China sticker somewhere in that shop buddy. ;P

You didn't say in the shop, you asked name something in this hobby that is 100percent American. I did, Jet Model Products aircraft and equipment, everything Tom sells is made in the USA. I'm sure there are computers, desks, pens, office supplies, etc that are made in china, but the shop itself isn't what you questioned. His kits are all manufactured in house and what has to be made out of his shop is made by American companies. Probably one of the reasons he only offers 3 airplanes still and limited parts. I have no doubt there is something in his shop that says made in china, but you didn't ask that.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
rodman293
Banned
My Feedback: (136)

Wll guys I have had nothing but bad expirences with HK, I bought a F-86 jet from modellbau, and decided to convert it to an EDF, had over $1800. in the plane and whent and bought a top of the line ESC for it a 190amp 12-S for a 120mm fan for that only needed 160amp ESC andd figured that with that higher amperage ESC, I would be relatively safe from over heating and the unthinkable happened the ESC got so hot it exploded in midair and this was the results of that, do you think HK accepted the blame? of cource NOT, So I won't buy anithing from them that cost that much money, it's like trowing it out the window of your car in miday traffic , along I have posted a picture of the destruction that the HK top of the line $178.00 ESC cost me, so decide for yourself if it is worth the risk or not ? !!!!! Please go to my gallery and look for the picture of my Burned F-86, because I don't know how to upload the picture to my post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37285.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1777618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62076.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1777619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25050.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1777620  
Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rodman293

Wll guys I have had nothing but bad expirences with HK, I bought a F-86 jet from modellbau, and decided to convert it to an EDF, had over $1800. in the plane and whent and bought a top of the line ESC for it a 190amp 12-S for a 120mm fan for that only needed 160amp ESC andd figured that with that higher amperage ESC, I would be relatively safe from over heating and the unthinkable happened the ESC got so hot it exploded in midair and this was the results of that, do you think HK accepted the blame? of cource NOT, So I won't buy anithing from them that cost that much money, it's like trowing it out the window of your car in miday traffic , along I have posted a picture of the destruction that the HK top of the line $178.00 ESC cost me, so decide for yourself if it is worth the risk or not ? !!!!!
If you believe for one minute, that all the rest of the escapes of the world do not have problems... Good luck with that one I had 2 Jet fail. Does it mean Jeti controllers are crap? Of course not!

Would I buy another Jeti? Of course if the price is right! My 3 HK controllers are still working. Does it mean they are foolproof? Of course not!

Gerry
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I think what a lot of the guys that complain about the potential problems of a " low cost" turbine are not worried about safety as mush as they are about the perception that they have of being more "special" because they have a costly turbine ... often these $$ book modelers don't even have much experience or ability flying or building.
Oh please.

Now it's not about those of us who've had negative experiences with the supplier in question seeking to warn and advise others about crummy products and service, it's about elitism, inexperience, and an inability to fly or build well? Seriously?

I built my first control line model in 1966, flew my first RC model (do you remember pulse single channel radios?) in '75, and recently GAVE a complete and flyable airframe to a man I had never met, simply to help him get into Jets.

That was a quite useless post which contributed nothing to the conversation, and quite an insult to your fellow modelers as well. If any post gets deleted from this thread, it should be that very one.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
GerKonig

They sell AMT turbines that are not manufactured in the US, plus many many more items not US made either.

Like someone here is using US made radio or servos, or receivers, or batteries, or...

Gerry
Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

Highhorse.. 15million google results !!!!
As you must be the unluckiest customer may I suggest you dont buy from them again.
Hang on mayby not keep buying from them as they seem to send you the rejects
Not sure what your point was, as it's a bit hard to follow....but you needn't worry. I have not bought from them since learning my lesson.

And if my experiences were unique then this thread wouldn't have gained so much traction.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a lost cause , no wonder we have so much unemployment , we are suppose to unite agianst the world , but we want cheap cheap , then we cry and whine when something tears up , as for my equipment my DA engines are 95% american made , my planes are built by Nir Schwitzer here in the USA virgina , as far as my radio i purchased a kraft signature made in the USA and had radio south convert it to 2.4 , my servos and batteries are all that is not made in the USA thank you!!!! so over 80% of my hobby is made in the USA!!!!! what about yours??
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
rodman293
Banned

Wll I belive that if I had used a Castle ESC( quality made in america) I would have the plane in one piece still !!

before after

Name:	Bz76874.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1777632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76145.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1777633  
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
rodman293
Banned

Well you are truly lucky my friend, but me from now on I would be buying american made ESC, it was only a differece of about $48.00 any way.!!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Wll guys I have had nothing but bad expirences with HK, I bought a F-86 jet from modellbau, and decided to convert it to an EDF, had over $1800. in the plane and whent and bought a top of the line ESC for it a 190amp 12-S for a 120mm fan for that only needed 160amp ESC andd figured that with that higher amperage ESC, I would be relatively safe from over heating and the unthinkable happened the ESC got so hot it exploded in midair and this was the results of that, do you think HK accepted the blame? of cource NOT, So I won't buy anithing from them that cost that much money, it's like trowing it out the window of your car in miday traffic , along I have posted a picture of the destruction that the HK top of the line $178.00 ESC cost me, so decide for yourself if it is worth the risk or not ? !!!!!
If you believe for one minute, that all the rest of the escapes of the world do not have problems... Good luck with that one I had 2 Jet fail. Does it mean Jeti controllers are crap? Of course not!

Would I buy another Jeti? Of course if the price is right! My 3 HK controllers are still working. Does it mean they are foolproof? Of course not!

Gerry

Name:	Ol31701.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1777634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96016.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1777635  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
GerKonig

Well you are truly lucky my friend, but me from now on I would be buying american made ESC, it was only a differece of about $48.00 any way.!!!!!!!

Gerry

Well, I did read somewhere recently that Castle are actually manufactured here in the US. My Jetis were not. Next controller I will try will be a Castle, but I know (trough a friend) that they had a big recall not to long ago. The problem grounded my friend for quite some time. But, again, not direct experience. Will try them next. My last HK is a 80Amp, 6 cell controller for $38.00 that so far is doing great. The bigger one, a Sentilon has over 2 years of use, 12 cells 100A, flawless...

Gerardo

Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM
gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: DominicM

I think HK have done a smart thing by sending it to the RCModelReviews chap. Based on all his other work we can be fairly sure he'll give an unbiased view of the unit and what it can do. Think I read he's a first time turbine user but he's a superb engineer. Price will dictate how well these sell. Looks to me like it would fit in a large 90mm/120mm EDF jet.
Sorry, but Bruce Simpson, also known as Xjet, and RCmodelReviews, is not a superb engineer, or an unbiased reviewer.
He is a paid employee of Hobby King, and he received this engine for free.
He makes his money from the stuff he gets for free from Hobby King, and from the money he makes from his Youtube videos, mostly promoting HobbyKing stuff.
He just lost his field for his club, with his glory hunting stunts.
The NZ Jet community cannot stand him.
He has a long history of ripping people off, selling pulsejet engines and plans, and never delivering them.
He declared bankruptcy once before, for not paying taxes.
And no matter what happens, he is never at fault, just ask him.
He lost the field for his club, and it's a bunch of "Fun police" who feel he is a "tall poppy" and want to cut him down.
I'm sure a bunch of HobbyKing fanbois will report this post and get it removed, oh well.
You can read more about the truth of Bruce on rctruth, they have no sponsors there, they say the truth there.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

So you all know so much before you have even see it run. Looks an interesting size
Hey, TimWatson, I mean Dennis Big Plums, welcome back. You spend a lot of time promoting Hobby King products, here and over on the other boards. Are you one of the many paid promoters of Hobby King?
You rave about how awesome all this stuff is, but you don't really actually fly the stuff. 130 models, but not really a lot of actual flying.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 PM
gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: RCJetBazz

This hits the market, before long, goes our privilege for turbine flying []

D.
I would not worry that much...
I stole this line from someone else more famous, on another board:
"In order for the HK turbine to be a hazard to anyone, it would have to first actually start and then actually move an airplane high enough and fast enough to hurt someone. And that will probably not happen!"
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
llindsey1965

good post good info , thanks gatorbait2 , they will probably delete it they did mine and i am going to check out rctruth
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
gatorbait2

Gerry
Yes, but Jeti or Castle will replace your ESCs if there is a problem. HK will tell you they did not get them, and stall until it is too late to file a paypal claim. Because they are dishonest people, it's who they are. HK got thrown off ebay under five different names over the years, all for the same reason, ripping people off. Not all Chinese dealers sell junk, and not all Chinese dealers are dishonest, but Hobby King has a bad reputation for a really good reason.
I realize that the fanbois, many of whom are paid, HK has a pay-for-posts program on their web forum, will defend them no matter what, but more and more people are getting wise. I can understand my getting some bad ESCs, but then afterwards, good luck getting resolution for your problems. $400 thrown away.
Turbines...I don't think so. Even if it is only $1000, what good is that if it does not work, you send it back, and then they say they never got it, or they can't service it?
I don't see this as a big threat to the hobby, it's unlikely they will even run.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:57 PM
llindsey1965

like i said it is all junk
Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry guys, this is unavoidable.. some years ago giant scale ARF´s with Chinese engines where unthinkable.

This is just the same.

Anyway, hope that this will bring more people to the hobby, specially the ones with lots of talent and not so much money.

Enrique

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM
gatorbait2

good post good info , thanks gatorbait2
You have got to read rctruth.com I have been following it, and it's amazing how they find the truth behind this stuff.
I used to watch RCmodelreviews and think it was great, but after learning what I learned, that he has been getting free stuff from HobbyKing, that they paid the rent for his hangar, and all the history of him ripping people off, his crazy brush with the law with his homemade cruise missile, he bankruptcy, his losing the field, and his responses to anybody who questions him, my eyes have been opened. He's a con. He's not going to give a proper review. And he's never even run or flown a turbine.
I found rctruth searching for stuff about Rob Orrock, Southern Cross RC, some time ago, and let me tell you, they nailed him over there, really got the goods on that scammer.
So many of these guys posting about this or that, it turns out they are shills, getting free stuff.
This turbine looks crude. Nobody has seen it run. If it even does run, if they sell a hundred of them, how many of them do you think will ever actually get flown? I bet half never get started, half just get bench run, and ten might make it into the air, if they run at all. So I don't think it's the end of the world. I'd worry more about Hobby King putting out garbage airframes to go with them, and those falling apart in the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.