Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new smaller (composite) Sebart Avanti XS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new smaller (composite) Sebart Avanti XS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Larrythelathe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting one of these in spring. Is standard servo size? Does it have any bad vices? My mini will drop a tip at times. I have a vt80 in my first jet and current a boomerang sprint.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 AM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only place for standard size servo was the flaps. I used MKS HV737's for everything else; had to sand a little on each servo mount, but not much.
Great flying plane!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2247727  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice PIC! This is a sweet flying jet.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Just Maidened my second one today! One in Canada one in Hawaii...both fly so fine that its really making my skills atrophy!
Len
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Neil Guildford

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This video of mine was taken at Classic Jets recently. It was very windy but this little jet flew brilliantly.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Neil Guildford

A friend Videoed mine for me today.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Joe1199

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m currently building an Avanti XS, I got the tank and thrust tube with the kit but am a bit unsure if I’m missing something with the tube mounting, the supplied former to hold the tube is too small, am I missing something??

Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 AM
Len

I had to shave out some of the inner ID ‘bumps’ on mine too. I deepened the notches too as that allows more airflow for cooling. Not every pipe is made as exact as each other one by all manufacturers. Measure the OD of the pipe to get an idea of how much you need to remove, and relieve SLOWLY the tops of the bumps until it just barely fits tightly. Then relieve some in the notches to gain back the airflow, and finally round off the tops of the bumps to get a good fit. The pipe does not expand much at the rear end on that plane I found, but it does depend on whose pipe and how it was made etc. Start tight, as you can always relieve more. If you end up making the former too loose, you can paint the bumps and indeed the whole former with BVM Heat Shield. It adds a bit of thickness to the bumps...
Hope this helps,
Len
Old 04-14-2018, 01:08 PM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a fellow in the US wanted to buy one of these jets, where would he get one? The JR Americas web site has said "January" for almost a year and a half it seems.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Len

Yes JR Americas has had their challenges for a couple of years now. I got both of my XS’s from them. One in Canada and the one I built in Hawaii is now in Cali soon to be in AZ. When I needed a second Mini Avanti, the first one I had obtained from the fellow in Las Vegas, JR Americas was still waiting on the container. Likely, at least in my opinion, a tall tale. I emailed Seba in Italy and I was surprised at how little extra it was to ship just one plane from Italy to Canada, and how fast it came too! To be fair I think it was about $100US more to do it that way than to have JR Americas sell and ship it to me, but they have none and given the closure of JR Corp in Japan, I have no confidence that they ever will have any SebArt product again. I have ordered twice from Seba personally and both times it went well, other than a FedEx issue. The two Avanti XS’s I got from JR Americas, never came with pipes or tanks, as they are in a separate add on kit, which was never ever ordered by them, also the stands (I recommend the SebArt one highly) were never ordered either as far as I could tell. Seba had everything in stock, and shipped in a couple of days, taking a week to get to Canada. I suppose the drawback ordering directly from SebArt is the bank wire transfer. That is the only way he will ship anything, money first, then he ships. However; at least Seba has had what he says he will have, unlike another Italian firm’s very many missed dates. I guess this all depends upon how much you want the plane...hassle-wise that is. I can heartily recommend the XS, but to be fair I have only about a dozen flights on the two planes. In the first one here in Canada I had some gear controller issues so I got only 4 flights and then I was away for the winter where I built the other and got 8 or so on it. In HI we only get the runway on Sundays and maybe not even then. I did get very comfortable with the plane and it flies better than the Mini Avanti on which I had well over a hundred flights before donating it to the AZ Desert floor! My fault, zigged instead of zagged.

Hope this helps...
Len
Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Joe1199

Thanks for the detailed reply Len, will just open up the former to fit the pipe 👍

what servos are most commonly used? I have some Savox 1250 HV which are 8kg torque at 7.4v however the JP retract controller says to only use 6v? My last jet had the same controller but didn’t state a voltage so I used 7.4 with no problems, is this fairly common?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Len

I tried using Savox servos on my first XS here in Canada, but the Futaba S-Bus system (with the proper decoders) seemed to have difficulty with them as they either oscillated about neutral (like an old Galloping Ghost system) or did not function at all. I removed the decoders and used Futaba S-Bus servos. I was trying to do the 7.4V thing too, but ended up using a Fromeco Sahara regulator at 6.2V. Now that plane had Electron gear so its not a good fit to your JP issue.

The second XS in the USA used the JP gear from SebArt, but I used the same S-Bus and regulator at 6.2V since the S-Bus doesn’t seem to like the Savox system. The XS doesn’t need super strong servos though. I think when I was using Savox in #1 I used 1256’s mostly except on the flaps. Again my issues were with the S-Bus system and I do like the Savox servos. I tried the S-bus with the Savox servos on the 6.2V regulator thinking it may have been the higher voltage, but they still went goofy, so I bit the bullet and ordered two new sets of S-Bus servos from Futaba.

Onto your specific issue with the JP gear: I would test the gear on 6.4 then 7, and finally 7.4V, if you are set on using 7.4V. I would simply add a regulator down to about 6.2V or so and run the whole system there. The only concern is the elevator servos as the 1250MG is only 63.9 oz-in at 6V. Obviously you won’t use 1250MG’s on the flaps. The elevator servos I used were 93 oz-in at that 6V. My sense of the thing is that 64 oz in is likely lots with one on each elevator, but I’m not sure about that, so don’t go by my numbers for this one.

You could always drop (resistor or zener diode) the voltage just to the gear controller, but that is a waste and it makes heat for certain. The other idea is to use a separate 6V battery to power the gear controller, and simply use a ground and signal wire set (no +ve wire) from the receiver to the gear signal input, where you use the +ve and -ve from the 6V battery for the gear controller. The -ve wires both go to the -ve input on the gear controller. This could set up a common ground but with gear there is no feedback loop so common ground is fine there since there is no chance the +ve feed from the rest of the radio system can get to the gear controller.

Sorry this got so involved...
Len
Old 04-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Joe1199

I am using a Powerbox Mercury SRS, Savox 1250 on all surfaces except flaps all on 7.4V, I’ve used this identical setup on a previous jet and not had any issues with the srs, I use a JR 28X and the dmss seems to work well like this,
the only reason I questioned it is the new JP retract controller says 6V input on the box but my previous one says nothing so I used it on 7.4, never had any issues though!! I might consider using a powerbox inline regulator just for piece of mind as there seems no benefit of running higher voltage on the retracts but as you say the Savox 1250 are only good if run on HV (63oz vs 111oz I think)

thanks for your help Len
Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Len

Originally Posted by Joe1199
I am using a Powerbox Mercury SRS, Savox 1250 on all surfaces except flaps all on 7.4V, I’ve used this identical setup on a previous jet and not had any issues with the srs, I use a JR 28X and the dmss seems to work well like this,
the only reason I questioned it is the new JP retract controller says 6V input on the box but my previous one says nothing so I used it on 7.4, never had any issues though!! I might consider using a powerbox inline regulator just for piece of mind as there seems no benefit of running higher voltage on the retracts but as you say the Savox 1250 are only good if run on HV (63oz vs 111oz I think)

thanks for your help Len
You’re most welcome sir! It is a large difference from the 63 to 111 oz-in...
Enjoy,
Len
Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Joe1199

Hi,

can anyone comment on the recommended centre of gravity for the XS?
the manual says 230mm back from the leading edge, just wanted to double check this as it seems way further back than i would have imagined, way past the wing tube, just need reassurance it isn’t a misprint!!

thanks
joe
Old 04-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Neil Guildford

The recommended CG worked perfectly. Works out somewhere near the main gear.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Joe1199

Thanks Neil
Old 05-10-2018, 02:06 PM
FlorianDo

Hi, mine just arrived today, it´s really gorgeous!
One Question: The pipe that comes with the kit has 70mm ID, is that an OK size for a 100N Turbine ? What do you guys use for a 100 ?

Will post some pics of the unboxing tomorrow :-)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Len

My Cdn unit runs a Merlin 100XBL on the stock pipe from SebArt, and the USA unit runs on a JetCat P-100RX again on the stock SebArt pipe. Shouldn’t be problem for any 100 engine...
Len
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 PM
FlorianDo

Originally Posted by Len
My Cdn unit runs a Merlin 100XBL on the stock pipe from SebArt, and the USA unit runs on a JetCat P-100RX again on the stock SebArt pipe. Shouldn’t be problem for any 100 engine...
Len
Thank you Len! The stock pipe will then be used..
Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM
FlorianDo

Default Unboxing

Finally at 10 posts, so I can add pics. Here you go!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Neil Guildford

The yellow scheme looks good. It looks as though the canopy is a grey tint unlike the blue on my blue version (which I removed).
Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM
FlorianDo

Originally Posted by Neil Guildford
The yellow scheme looks good. It looks as though the canopy is a grey tint unlike the blue on my blue version (which I removed).
Neil, it looks more grey than blue to me, the picture is pretty accurate in terms of colors compared to the real thing. I pretty much like it, and keep it as is.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Awesome looking airplane, where did you order it from?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:54 AM
FlorianDo

Originally Posted by Ducted Fan Dan
Awesome looking airplane, where did you order it from?
Dan,

As I am in Germany, I ordered mine at Hoelzlwimmler Modellbau, they sell Sebart and CARF in Germany.
But I would guess that for the US, you could order directly at Sebart per earlier posts in this thread. (not sure about JR americas)

Note that for 2018, on top of the existing new blue scheme and Frecce Tricolori scheme, the (new) yellow and (new) red schemes are now available. Just have a look at sebart.it.

Thanks,

Florian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.