Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:25 AM
Swissy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...whilst talking about:
On the maiden we discovered that the nose gear did not retract completely at the first attempt. On the ground everything worked flawlessly. Don't know if the springs of the main gear cover are ajusted to strongly. Together with te air flow in flight it is probably to much for the controller.
I have got the first edition of it, the black one and there the indicated max. voltage is 8.4 V. I would have a LiIon Battery 3S with 9.9V but wouldn't like to try this without your advice as it could fry the unit...
What are your experiences with the gear?
Thank you, Daniel
Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i hage never tested anything above 2S lipo. it is not recommended.
i simply retract my gear in straight and lever flight at half throttle in the first leg after takeoff. should work fine and if not you might need to loosen the springs just a little bit.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:46 AM
horsefeetky

no 3s on retract board.. i plugged in my turbine battery during setup and smoked mine last night.. it also took out the motor to the right wing i had attached...more parts needed now.

lior

did you mount the thrust tube flush at the rear or is it inset from the fuse a bit.

also what amount of space did you leave for the 140 between the pipe and the tail of the turbine.

thanks for all this info in helping others here.. the odyssey is much lighter weight than my predator of similar size it should fly well
Old 10-28-2018, 04:50 AM
i3dm

thrust tube is flush.

i always leave 1" from end of turbine to the straight part of the pipe, not the bell.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 AM
RP-Stinger
My Feedback: (1)

I am also building a new Odyssey jet myself. Just got it home last week. I bought some of those FCT fittings for my tanks also and not user if it is required, but I would like to know what sealant you used behind the fittings to help prevent leaks ? Thanks

Like in post 48.

Last edited by RP-Stinger; 10-29-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:32 AM
horsefeetky

hysol is used to seal them
Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 AM
RP-Stinger

Originally Posted by horsefeetky
hysol is used to seal them
Thank you, I have not used Hysol before. Is there a number associated with the Hysol you use. I google it and see there are several types of Hysol. Greatly appreciate what type/number to get. Thanks
I might also try using it for some of my plane builds instead of Epoxy, appears many people use it here.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:27 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by RP-Stinger
Thank you, I have not used Hysol before. Is there a number associated with the Hysol you use. I google it and see there are several types of Hysol. Greatly appreciate what type/number to get. Thanks
Hysol 9462
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

Chief Aircraft has the gun and tips and refills for the cartridges.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 AM
RP-Stinger

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Chief Aircraft has the gun and tips and refills for the cartridges.
Thank you guys I appreciate the info. I will order some and also check it out on Chief's site.
Thanks again.

One more question, I seen someone mounted an afterburner led ring.
Can you tell me the size and a good place to purchase a good one, I think those always look great. Thanks again
Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Finally got 2 canopies on order. Got 2, just incase I lose 1, again...

I also am going to be rewiring and replumbing my Odyssey, starting next week. I have a couple of ideas that I am going to try for next year.

While I have the guts out, I am gonna be redoing the interior, change the location of the fuel pump, might get a larger UAT. Just overall make things a bit more user friendly for me. And, I need to figure out my gear issue, too.....
Old 11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
horsefeetky

Default gewtting closer to finished

Old 11-04-2018, 06:06 PM
horsefeetky

now when i get a nice day i will run the new swiwin 140b in it then i only need to setup the ar3000 gyro that right now is not plugged in for first flight... balance with the uat full came out right about the 220mm mark with gear up.. i need to tidy up the fill line and i think im rtf.... i am using the stock gear and controller but should have a pilot controller for the gear here in a few days. it has rt/left adjustment for brakes and abs selection too....will help a bunch with the stopping on this one.. stock controller is not very user friendly about how much brakes you can dial in on a slider. it goes far enough to lock up then you can feather it off but it doesnt feather on very well.

any input as to use some down elevator mix with flap settings some i read do others say nothing needed..

construction was simple and finish is pretty darn good for the price..
Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM
IFLY3W

Started in on making this Odyssey more user friendly for me.

Had a brainstorm at midnite Sunday nite into Monday. Use all MPX plugs at all the fuse joints, even at the 2 pc fuse joint. All the brakes will be on regular JR plugs.

Also done a little digging in on my LG issue. Seems like the actuator is funked up. Now, the LG moves about 2 degrees and stops. So, appears I need a new actuator. I have Mr. Wilson fron TDRC sending Henry an inquiry about the actuator now.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM
horsefeetky

i fly 3w

be sure not to share any connections on the same pins in your plug for wings. some guys share pos and neg on the servos to make the number of pins work out

i used a store bought harness like your making with just such piggy back wires and the last short plug in the harness i used for retracts.. well needless to say when the radio gets turned on the retracts get voltage feed back from pin for the flap servo.. this resulted in both the one main gear i had plugged in to setup wing and the control board to burn out.. got a replacement for both items and im good to go with seperate leads for every use in each wing. yes old fashioned way but i got burned once not going to get me again. and i would have needed 2 molex plugs per wing to make all the connections seperatly powered..
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 PM
IFLY3W

Some people must think I'm completely stupid. You cannot cross battery voltages, otherwise you fry stuff. Its just the way electronics are.

Besides that, I had the LG plugged directly into the gear controller. And thats when it stopped cycling. Tried a different pin set on the gear controller, same result.

Peace out, RCU!!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM
horsefeetky

anyone know the totalfuel tank capacity when linking the two together.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM
i3dm

anyone know the totalfuel tank capacity when linking the two together.
i read it was 3.6L, havent tested myself.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 AM
RP-Stinger

I bought a 200ml UAT from FCT. Looks very nice but I have a couple questions. Does the UAT have to set front to rear for it to work properly ? And Does it make a difference how far away from the main tank and pump ?

I ask this because it will not set under the cockpit where the pilot sits, so I will need to move it out front beside the landing gear, which I would like to do to help with CG,
or can I set it sideways in front of the main tanks, which doesn't help much with CG but may fit here ?
Thanks for any input on this. Hopefully I don't have to buy a smaller one.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM
i3dm

sYou can install the FCT in any orientation you want as long at the fitting coming from the main tank is in the top dead center.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Daveeast

Default Both Tanks

Originally Posted by i3dm
i read it was 3.6L, havent tested myself.
Capacity

Yes 3.6 Litres.

David
Rcflyersuae.com
Old 11-12-2018, 01:50 PM
RP-Stinger

Default UAT Locstion

Originally Posted by i3dm
sYou can install the FCT in any orientation you want as long at the fitting coming from the main tank is in the top dead center.
thanks. Good to know orientation is not an issue.
Was still considering putting UAT by front gear to help with CG. So I presume no issue running fuel extra distance from having UAT clear up front and back ?
aporeciate all the advice. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:59 PM
horsefeetky

go up a few posts and view the pics of mine.. same uat turned side ways as you are asking about.......
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
RP-Stinger

go up a few posts and view the pics of mine.. same uat turned side ways as you are asking about.......
Thanks, yes I was looking at your setup. Looks good. I was considering putting mine there, but thought it might help CG wise moving it forward.
Did you have to add any weight in the nose with your UAT in that position. ? Thanks
Trying not to add extra weight only have things in a good position to make CG .
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by RP-Stinger

thanks. Good to know orientation is not an issue.
Was still considering putting UAT by front gear to help with CG. So I presume no issue running fuel extra distance from having UAT clear up front and back ?
aporeciate all the advice. Thanks.
no problem with that little extra distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.