Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:39 AM
RP-Stinger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
no problem with that little extra distance.
ok thanks for letting me know. I’ll probably put mine in same location then.
Ill use it there and balance with battery locations once I fly it. Just want to start out with everything in the best location for first flight.
Thanks again for your answer.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:13 PM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ID3M, how is the TopRC landing gears holding up. I have the Robart landing gears and very disappointed. I think it was designed for a 12lbs models, not 30lbs. Extremely flimsy. I have to land extremely soft for it not to bend or twist. A little bounce, it'll get destroyed and damaged the plane. I have a couples of Robart gears for different planes, very disappointed on all of them.
From the your pictures of the gears, they look very heavy duty. I may need to spend $800 to get the new gears. I can't seem to find the struts from other manufacturer to fit the robart for this plane.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:14 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
ID3M, how is the TopRC landing gears holding up. I have the Robart landing gears and very disappointed. I think it was designed for a 12lbs models, not 30lbs. Extremely flimsy. I have to land extremely soft for it not to bend or twist. A little bounce, it'll get destroyed and damaged the plane. I have a couples of Robart gears for different planes, very disappointed on all of them.
From the your pictures of the gears, they look very heavy duty. I may need to spend $800 to get the new gears. I can't seem to find the struts from other manufacturer to fit the robart for this plane.
my gear is working very well. i couldnt be more happy with them.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:39 PM
horsefeetky

stock gear seems good just make sure the lead for the retracts or brakes you use does not share a red or blk lead with any servos in the harness...

pro links and behotec are very nice gear sets also.....

but you are correct no robarts in larger planes for me either. had too many failures of the thin wall strut tubes they use.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 AM
RP-Stinger

Talking

adding a copy of my post:

Hello Guys,

i would like to share my CG / Throws settings for the Odyssey Sport Jet. these settings would help anyone who is building one have a good starting point.

Note: All measurements are taken at control surface root.

Ailerons: 28mm both ways (will probably add some differential in the future), 45% Expo
Elevator: 28mm both ways, 30% Expo
Rudder: 50mm both ways, 30% Expo
Flaps Takeoff: 25mm with 2mm down elevator compensation
Flaps Landing: 80mm with 4mm down elevator compensation
Cortex Gyro gain: 60%

CG: currently 220mm back from leading edge at wing root, i recommend starting with 215mm.

Total weight with UAT full, full cockpit + pilot figure, 5000 mAh 2S Lipo hardcase Turbine battery and two 2200mAh 2S Lipo Rx batteries - 13.97Kg.

For me these settings make a very easy to fly, very predictable Jet.
I do hope they help others as well.
Thanks for reading,
Lior Zahavi

Edit 16/12/17:
I have tested crow mix with full flaps and it works very well on the Odyssey, and these are the numbers:
with full flaps applied, the ailerons go UP 12.5mm (measured at root) and elevator compensation increases to 7mm down measured at root.

this gives you much more drag, model descends and slows down faster and stall speed is even lower - it works great and is highly recommended.

I have a couple questions about the Cortex Gyro gain at 60%. Are you talking this at normal mode ? or hold mode ?
Also did you use the Cortex with the crow setup when landing ?

I am setting mine now, then all I will need is to check CG, and mine will be ready to fly.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:37 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by RP-Stinger
I have a couple questions about the Cortex Gyro gain at 60%. Are you talking this at normal mode ? or hold mode ?
Also did you use the Cortex with the crow setup when landing ?

I am setting mine now, then all I will need is to check CG, and mine will be ready to fly.
normal mode. i never use hold mode.
i use the cortex for 100% of the flight.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 AM
RP-Stinger

normal mode. i never use hold mode.
i use the cortex for 100% of the flight.
OK, awesome, thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:48 PM
jcpl

Hi, what type of adhesive did you use?
Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by jcpl
Hi, what type of adhesive did you use?
Thanks
for what purpose?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:53 AM
jcpl

Kero/Diesel Tank fittings and fixtures.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by jcpl
Kero/Diesel Tank fittings and fixtures.

Thanks
Hysol 9462
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM
RP-Stinger

Question for i3dm. I used your info you posted on your Xicoy CG machine. I am using the same machine.
I was curious if the numbers you used made your CG come out at 215mm or 200mm, which you mentioned were good settings ?
Mine ended up 0.21 lb nose heavy, which sounds good to me for a maiden. You agree. Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM
i3dm

Question for i3dm. I used your info you posted on your Xicoy CG machine. I am using the same machine.
I was curious if the numbers you used made your CG come out at 215mm or 200mm, which you mentioned were good settings ?
Mine ended up 0.21 lb nose heavy, which sounds good to me for a maiden. You agree. Thanks
honestly speaking i cant remember, but you can see the measurements on the Xicoy and measure where it comes down on yours.
Lior.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 AM
RP-Stinger

honestly speaking i cant remember, but you can see the measurements on the Xicoy and measure where it comes down on yours.
Lior.
Sure, I can check mine out no problem, just thought I would ask. Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I will test mine this week and I will see if I need add lead.
i will install the original tanks of the kit in serial, I have Electron Retracts installed.

You can find specific tank in my website:

https://cmjets.com/31-toprc-model

Regards from Spain.
Carlos

Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM
RP-Stinger

This is inside mine. I have 4 batteries up front, and still had to add 12oz, real bummer. Puts CG at 215 so hopefully I can take some out after flying. I did have the UAT full when checking.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM
i3dm

This is inside mine. I have 4 batteries up front, and still had to add 12oz, real bummer. Puts CG at 215 so hopefully I can take some out after flying. I did have the UAT full when checking.
this doesnt sound right - have you added anything heavy on the tail??
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM
RP-Stinger

No. Nothing added to the tail. Yea I didn’t expect that either. I put some heat tape over the extensions for tail. That is all.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM
RP-Stinger

I also read one guy put 3 or 4 batterys all the way up in the nose. So I’m not sure what to expect
hope I can remove the weight after maiden. We shall see when I get some decent weather.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:10 PM
horsefeetky

i just glued a plate in the nose for my batteries to ride on.. im getting close to the balance but i put my uat in front of the fuel tanks. im sure it would have gone better if it were in front like yours is.. but i wont add weight i will install larger battery packs first.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 AM
RP-Stinger

Originally Posted by horsefeetky
i just glued a plate in the nose for my batteries to ride on.. im getting close to the balance but i put my uat in front of the fuel tanks. im sure it would have gone better if it were in front like yours is.. but i wont add weight i will install larger battery packs first.
I imagine that will work, it should be a big help putting them in the nose. Yea I put my uat up front when I read other were adding some weight, hoping not to.
I am hoping I can remove my weight after first flight. If not, it is what it is, but I would really like to remove the extra weight.
I have 3 - 2S-5000mah lipos, and 1 3S-3800mah life. Not going to add any bigger here, just added a little weight each side under the batteries.
Not only that, but now mine weights 33.9 lbs. well over the expected weight, disappointing. Was hoping for a light jet around 24-28lbs like advertised. I just keep hoping it flys well.

Last edited by RP-Stinger; 12-11-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM
RP-Stinger

Yes, you'll have to let me know how you come out with getting your balance correct. And see what your weight ends up to be, I am curious if you don't mind sharing. I may want to change something later. I would really like to get 2-3 lbs back out of it.
Maybe we can get them up together one day...
Old 12-11-2018, 03:12 PM
horsefeetky

29 1/4 pounds with uat full

i used hvy 8 ply plywood for the nose plate to sti batteries on. hysoled it in place with velcro on top. placed my 3800 3s lipo turbine pack and my 2s 1300ma lipo brake battery up there.

i have the rx dual packs on the sides of fuse where nose gear retracts. i think they are 2500ma each a123 type to a pwr safe 12ch spektrum

all that is left is the gyro setup and run the motor up.........next fair weather day free i will tackle that. i want to fly this first thing in the spring..i have an itch to fly this one.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
RP-Stinger

Sounds great. Much better weight too. Nice
I still need to run my motor, I’m using K160. I seen to have that itch I was thinking about going out this week. But probably won’t. Ah. Don’t know. Lol.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 AM
RP-Stinger

29 1/4 pounds with uat full

i used hvy 8 ply plywood for the nose plate to sti batteries on. hysoled it in place with velcro on top. placed my 3800 3s lipo turbine pack and my 2s 1300ma lipo brake battery up there.

i have the rx dual packs on the sides of fuse where nose gear retracts. i think they are 2500ma each a123 type to a pwr safe 12ch spektrum

all that is left is the gyro setup and run the motor up.........next fair weather day free i will tackle that. i want to fly this first thing in the spring..i have an itch to fly this one.
I am curious what gear you used in yours. I bought the optional heavy duty electric gear they sell for this jet.
Did you use the same or something different ? Trying to figure out where my extra weight is, they are heavy really beefy gear.
Maybe different weight in the turbine, what turbine did you use ? I am puzzled, Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.