Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 04:19 AM
snir2001
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, even though I really upset with the embarrassing quality, I did some progress building it.

I decided to use the fuel tanks accessories that came with it, and not to invest in FCT or similar, because, a. it does not deserves is and b. FCT or not, it's working just the same.
But doing so, revealed another design flaw, well...

Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 AM
snir2001

Some more "top quality" from TopRC

The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (06-11-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 02:24 PM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had very bad experience with this plane too. The bottom side of both flaps were warp and it bind so bad that the flaps once down, they can't come back up. I had to heat it up with heat gun then bend it till it cooled. I thought it was enough to hold the shape until I got to the field. It returned to the original warped shape. I had to break it to loosen it up. When I went home, I put a layer of fiberglass on the inside to keep it in shape.
Another down side is I tried to get GatorRC to help and Mike got in touch with TOPRC and they concluded that this is a learning lesson for them. No one did anything. This isn't over yet. I got the landing gears from TopRC and one of the main retract broke after only a few landings. Now, the nose gear and one of the main still works but the other main remains down all the time. I have to fly the plane with all gears down.
Also, the Robart gears for this plane is a piece of sh** too, worse than the chinese gears.
snir2001 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:29 PM
snir2001

"Mike got in touch with TOPRC and they concluded that this is a learning lesson for them."

Look like they learned nothing.

But it was great lesson for me. Stay away from TopRC...

Still for sale, but no one wants it.
bodywerks (06-12-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:40 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Bugger. You have had problems... mine is good and flues well. Quality is not consistant it seems.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:18 AM
snir2001

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Bugger. You have had problems... mine is good and flues well. Quality is not consistant it seems.
Looks like pure luck.

I see more and more people that got the same crap from TopRC.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:44 AM
HiCurrent

The plane flies good. The quality is crap though. I didn't mention that my rudder had hole about the 10mm. I think it came from the factory during packaging. the problem is that the customer pays the price for them to learn.
I also bought a toprc aspire last December because it was on sale for almost half price. this time I got lucky. No damage but they snorted me on the hinges. I had to cut them out from the g10 fiberglass sheet. They always intentionally short parts on the kits. You'll never get a complete kit.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:55 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

we have over 15 toprc kits flying here. none were missing parts.
TopRC has extremely good service so if anything was missing from a kit they will cover it 100%.

some action pics from today in Dimona.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:19 AM
HiCurrent

Well, if they always replace parts then I would have gotten a new set of wings and vertical fin but I didn't. I had to pay the price tor them to learn.
For them, you are a high profile because you started the build threads on a lot of their models. For all of us, we are just trash.
snir2001 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:21 AM
i3dm

i don't know who you talked to. I'm talking about TopRC model in China. it is not just for me. i have seen it in any case that needed help.

if you ever run into any issues please give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to help. you will be taken care of.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:33 AM
HiCurrent

I will definitely come to you when I run into the similar problem. May be right now you can help Clavin and Snir2001. They are unhappy with the quality.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 AM
i3dm

trust me they all know me very well and know they can always ask my help. its all good
there are hundreds of odysseys flying with great success and pleasure.

this one pictured has over 200 hard aerobatic flights on it!

Old 06-13-2020, 10:24 AM
snir2001

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I will definitely come to you when I run into the similar problem. May be right now you can help Clavin and Snir2001. They are unhappy with the quality.
This is a crappy low quality toy grade product and I have learned my lesson.
I have so many problems with it, that I hardly believe I will get any better than what I already have.
So, I'm trying to fix the issues, for sure better than TopRC themselves.

Anyway, you better off with used quality one than new one from TopRC...

Cheers.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:04 PM
HiCurrent

The quality isn't at par with skymaster, jetlegend and feibao that's why it is a few hundred bucks cheaper. And that's why the customer has to put in extra effort to fix them. I don't see that TOPRC will ever be at par to their competitors in the jet theater. However, they are the only one with affordable composite kits for prop warbirds though. There aren't many manufacturers for warbirds. Comp arf is great but too pricey.
I have a few TopRC warbirds (3), they are ok, not much details on the skin like comp arf. So far, I have not gotten a kit with a complete hardware package. Always short on the fiberglass control horns and some times the L brackets for the servo. There are always issue with the kit such as the formers delaminated from the skin. The push rods are too weak and the ball links are too small and weak for the size. You will need to replace the ball links and push rods for sure.
If you are willing to overlook those problems then it is worth the price.

Last edited by HiCurrent; 06-13-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Sky Toys (06-13-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:40 AM
HiCurrent

Oh yeah, building tips:
1. make sure you check the fuel tank for leak. put water in it and blow into it to create pressure and check for leak. The fiberglass fuel tanks have tendency to leak. Both my odyssey and aspire fuel tanks leak bad. Easy fix though. I glue the fuel tanks into the fuse with the flexible silicone glue at the top corners Much stronger and can cut it out if needed. Don't strap it down. I don't believe the support foundation is strong enough to keep the tank down.
2. Make sure your nose weight is removable so you can adjusted the cg afterwards. I just took a leap of faith and follow the cg recommendation on the thread and glue to nose weight into the nose cone. Now, my plane is too nose heavy and I can't reduce the weight..
Old 06-15-2020, 06:42 AM
i3dm

Oh yeah, building tips:
1. make sure you check the fuel tank for leak. put water in it and blow into it to create pressure and check for leak. The fiberglass fuel tanks have tendency to leak. Both my odyssey and aspire fuel tanks leak bad. Easy fix though. I glue the fuel tanks into the fuse with the flexible silicone glue at the top corners Much stronger and can cut it out if needed. Don't strap it down. I don't believe the support foundation is strong enough to keep the tank down.
2. Make sure your nose weight is removable so you can adjusted the cg afterwards. I just took a leap of faith and follow the cg recommendation on the thread and glue to nose weight into the nose cone. Now, my plane is too nose heavy and I can't reduce the weight..
although i can sign on the 220mm CG, you shiuld NEVER glue any weight to any model. CG is among other things, a personal preference. it should always be tuned to your liking.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:10 AM
snir2001

Oh yeah, building tips:
Actually, the fuel tanks are the ONLY thing that turns out to be OK with this crappy waste of fiberglass.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:11 AM
HiCurrent

i3dm what you said is so true. Because of the deep nose, it is hard to make it removable. Afterwards, I develop a method to make it removable. First, I put all the lead balls into the sandwich plastic bag and lower it to the nose. Put the plane nose down and stick a wood stick into weight puddle.
The plane still flies good with my current cg. I just need to relocate my batteries but I am so lazy doing that. Next time, when I need to replace the batteries then I'll relocate it.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:17 AM
HiCurrent

OOPS, I'm sorry. I am confusing between this plane and the Aspire. You can't glue the tank into the fuse with this plane because the gap is too big.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:56 AM
i3dm

my odyssey has travelled with me twice globally to Jetpower, been beaten severely by the airline people both times, flew hundreds of flights and still going strong.

i have seen issues with 15K$ kits just as much as with 1500$ kits. but TopRC Model takes care of everything and everyone, unlike some 15K$ kit manufacturers that i know for sure.
​​
i have no interest in turning this thread into a pissing contest, just felt a line was crossed with foul language and i do not appreciate that.

attaching one of my flight videos from Jetpower. hope you guys like it:
Sky Toys (06-16-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 09:55 PM
snir2001

Originally Posted by i3dm
i have no interest in turning this thread into a pissing contest, just felt a line was crossed with foul language and i do not appreciate that.
Well, the truth has been told, and it's backed up by photos.
Of course, it's my opinion, if one is upset with it, so be it, this it not a pissing contest....

Anyway, out of respect for the OP, I will (Maybe) open a new thread about my experience with this product, if I will keep it.

My Odyssey is still for sale, for a good price.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:44 PM
Slotus7

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello
For information.
I use metal (alloy) that melts at 70 ° celsius, I flow directly into the nose. I found at an aircraft manufacturer.
It is fairly easy to remove either by pouring hot water or with a heating tool.
Here is the product, sorry it's in french.

https://www.ouverture-fine.com/moula...de-fusion.html
Old 06-16-2020, 07:08 PM
HiCurrent

Metal that melts at 70 degree c. Wow, that is nice. Can you translate the name to English. there use to be someone on here that sells the metal dust. I bought some and it was great. I don't know what happened to the rest of it. I was looking for it again but couldn't find anything affordable. so I had to use the fishing lead balls. This metal. Is a quantum leap in technology for me. I would like to have some.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:19 PM
HiCurrent

There are a lot of complaints about the quality of this toprc product on other built threads. Almost all toprc planes. If you are lucky, you get something decent, if not, you'll hate it. But your kit isn't as bad as mine. Both my wings have warp flaps on the topside lips, a pencil size hole on the vertical fin, broken main retract, pin size hole on the fuel tank, missing hardware, etc. I can go all night with this. I didn't inspect the rib in the wings, so I don't know if it is ok. I should do that.
But it flies good. However, I would not buy it for $1800. I would rather pay 400 more for the skymaster
Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 PM
snir2001

There are a lot of complaints about the quality of this toprc product on other built threads. Almost all toprc planes. If you are lucky, you get something decent, if not, you'll hate it. But your kit isn't as bad as mine. Both my wings have warp flaps on the topside lips, a pencil size hole on the vertical fin, broken main retract, pin size hole on the fuel tank, missing hardware, etc. I can go all night with this. I didn't inspect the rib in the wings, so I don't know if it is ok. I should do that.
But it flies good. However, I would not buy it for $1800. I would rather pay 400 more for the skymaster

Well spoken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.