Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TUMBLER
To each his own I guess. I don’t really care about vertical and loops. Don’t think I have ever had a jet that didn’t have good vertical or had trouble looping. Speed and precision are more important to me. I have a JTM XXX roughly the same size as the Joker radared at 180 and I know I want the Joker to be at least as fast. I have had an UF which is much faster and don’t need that kind of speed out of the Joker, but I know 150 will be boring for me.

So if I have to put a 100 in it to get the performance I want then I will, but if I don’t have to, id rather use a lighter 85. Why are there no videos of one flying with an 85. I just bought a Joker and Ray Labonte is trying to track down a video.

I have a JTMXXX with M100XBL... I was never able to get the performance of the Joker with K120 from the XXX. If you have not got the 100 turbine consider the 120.. you will be happier...

BTW... I have sold the XXX (recently). Considering second Joker (in red) with partial ducting, double carbon pin for horizontal tail, saddle custom tanks (2.5L) from CMjets and for sure a 120 size turbine...

David
Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XXX is electric so I am happy with performance. I can’t believe you have a 120 in such a small plane. Haha. I had a k100 in an ultra flash and it was over 200 and a much bigger plane.

Originally Posted by LA jetguy

I have a JTMXXX with M100XBL... I was never able to get the performance of the Joker with K120 from the XXX. If you have not got the 100 turbine consider the 120.. you will be happier...

BTW... I have sold the XXX (recently). Considering second Joker (in red) with partial ducting, double carbon pin for horizontal tail, saddle custom tanks (2.5L) from CMjets and for sure a 120 size turbine...

David
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My XXX is electric so I am happy with performance. I can’t believe you have a 120 in such a small plane. Haha. I had a k100 in an ultra flash and it was over 200 and a much bigger plane.

My CARF fleet consist of ... Spark with K70, Joker with K120 and Ultra Flash with M200.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Midas D.

Hi guy's,

Think a need a little help here.
As you see in the pictures, the pipe install is a bit of an ????

As remever correct from my Flash, the pipe sits on the last former, a little sanding needed done to make it fit correct but that was all.
If i do the same now, one end off the bell mouth sticks out underneath the fuselage.
The end off the pipe sticks out the fuselage 3.5 cm....
And a other funny thing, the pipe it self slides over the bell mouth, on the flash the pipe fitted inside the bell mouth?

I'm wondering, did Carf supplied the wrong bell mouth? or is there a lot of cutting and grinding involved here?

Can some one please shine his light on this and give some help please?

Thanks, Ed

Ed

Last edited by Midas D.; 05-10-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 AM
Midas D.

Was thinking of cutting off a complete ring where you see on the picture (where the pen hit's)
There is an "lip" pointing up.
My thoughts are cutting this complete lip off, but then;
- The whole diameter of the bell mouth becomes smaller then the cutout in the end wood former where it sits on...
- So if i then place the bell mouth back on this en former, the thrust angle off the pipe will change

Arrrrgggg what to do??
Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

The video of CARF's model is with an 80N turbine, so Jetpower flight and others.

I'll find a media device that shows pictures on RCU as since the change some of my computers have a weird page layout and no pictures!
Tail pipe usually just sticks out the back end of the fuselage, CARF don't have a uniform tailpipe design, ever seen an UltraLightning!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:17 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine sticks out the tail about 5 mm the bell-mouth was mounted flush against the engine mounting rails. Not cutting of pipe, bell-mouth, former or mounting rails.

Last edited by dccatl; 05-10-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:13 AM
Midas D.

Ok, fair enough, so i guess it's cutting time....

No clou how i got to sort this other wise ......

Dccatl,

Your bell mouth looks a lot smaller then mine,

Dave are you sure about this, cause looking at Dccatl picture and looking at mine, even a blinde guy could tell the Bell mouth i got is Much bigger in diameter ... ??
Mine is 14.5 cm in diameter

What i'm i missing here or overseeing in a wrong way??

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by Midas D.; 05-10-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Midas D.

Tatttaaaaa, Fixed

Thanks Andreas for the support on this "brain fart" of mine!

Much apriciated !!!!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:53 PM
TUMBLER

So what was the brain fart and what did he tell you to do?

Originally Posted by Midas D.
Tatttaaaaa, Fixed

Thanks Andreas for the support on this "brain fart" of mine!

Much apriciated !!!!

Old 05-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Midas D.

The fart i suppose was, me thinking there was a wrong bell mouth in my kit, and me kept fiddling in the hope it would fit.....
Guess i should have left it alone for the next day

Apparently Carf uses this bell Mouth for multiple planes, and in one batch off Jokers they forgot to trim it back.
So there was the solution, cut it back about 5mm and now it fits perfectly.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 AM
MikeBravoJoker

Originally Posted by scaryxxl
Hi there
I am the owner of this video .
I explain what happened, the main control unit that comes with my joker kit was bad from factory, I went to jetsmunt factory to check why the control unit doesn't work and it seams the 2s lipo works fine for barkes but to power the retracts the + cable was comunicated with the + of the receiver so the unit was burned. so please check it carefully the + cable is not comunicated.
also I purchuase a Xicoy main retracts system until carf models send me a new one.
the video was done to show it to carf models.
Hi , thanks for the post.
after flying RC airplanes for 35 years, I finally made it to jets, and starting with the Joker was the perfect decision (other friends started with Macchi339 and A4, with drastically different enjoyment levels..).
There are only a couple of things I'd improve on the model, one is a dismountable nose cone, to be able to start and stop the plane without having to unscrew the canopy every time.
The other thing is its landing gear. Although its electrical simplicity is very enchanting, its springs are a bit on the strong side for the low overall weight, making it bouncy if you don't flare off correctly when landing. I saw you used a Xicoy retract while yours was replaced, could you share which one you used, and what the experience was?

Thank you!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 AM
MikeBravoJoker

what turbine did you use?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:26 AM
TUMBLER

Just got mine the other day. Ordered the 85 Which will be here next week. Wrestled with the decision of going with the bigger engine and decided I would prefer a later plane and always have the option to make up some ducting and streamline things a bit if I felt it was too draggy. From what I can tell, it is definitely a great value Considering what you get for your money. I am just trying to get past the color scheme which is the only downside of this model. I can’t even figure out a way to dress it up with graphics.
I considered getting a white one but decided I will fly as is for a while and I can always repaint
Old 05-17-2018, 11:55 AM
markbrown65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello

Who makes the Sabre and what turbine do you have in it ? Very nice.

Mark
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM
markbrown65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F100

Mark
Old 05-17-2018, 03:48 PM
TUMBLER

Hey Mark,
the F100 is actually a total scratch build I made molds of. It’s about the size of a BVM. I designed it for a turbine and halfway through the build they were band at all the fields around me so I made it electric. I haven’t flown in a couple years and now since I found a field that allows turbines again I may convert it. When I build it a couple years ago I did make fuel tank molds so all I need is a pipe. I
Beian

Originally Posted by markbrown65
Hello

Who makes the Sabre and what turbine do you have in it ? Very nice.

Mark
Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Midas D.

I considered getting a white one but decided I will fly as is for a while and I can always repaint

When i orders mine i asked Carf if it would be possible to get it in the Cayman scheme, but that was an No unfortunately, only color swap witch to me wasn't worth the $$ cause it then stay's an but ugly scheme.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:52 AM
TUMBLER

With all the really cool flash schemes, I am shocked that they made the joke or so boring. I think a lot of people are holding back from buying one simply because of the color schemes. I figured as soon as I bought one they would come out with cool choices. :-) I’ll fly mine for a while and eventually probably paint it like this.

Originally Posted by Midas D.
When i orders mine i asked Carf if it would be possible to get it in the Cayman scheme, but that was an No unfortunately, only color swap witch to me wasn't worth the $$ cause it then stay's an but ugly scheme.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Cake and eat it...
i think you guys should set up a business and make moulded aeroplanes.
Paint masks and gun cleaning time, oh and let’s add inlets...oh, it’s now UF money and it won’t sell because you can have a bigger machine for the same bucks.

Add a few decals and it looks good IMO
Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 AM
TUMBLER

Having made many molds and fabricated a lot of parts, I agree it is a ton of work which a lot of people don’t understand. However, if you look at a plane like the T-One which is in the same category as the joker, it is the same price and has a much wider selection of colors schemes and more complicated as well. So clearly it can be done. True they don’t come as a PNP option but as much as Limited as my time is these days,

I’d do a little more work to have more paint options. That’s something a little market research could help identify what is more important to customers perhaps.

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Cake and eat it...
i think you guys should set up a business and make moulded aeroplanes.
Paint masks and gun cleaning time, oh and let’s add inlets...oh, it’s now UF money and it won’t sell because you can have a bigger machine for the same bucks.

Add a few decals and it looks good IMO
Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM
TUMBLER

Callie’s Graphicsbisnworking on some ideas for me. I’ll post as she sends them. I like the big Noker graphic on this one.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 AM
Midas D.

Cool

Send a mail to a guy in Germany to see what his creative mind can do.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM
TUMBLER

The clear tubing that comes with the fuel tank is really stiff. What size Tyon do you guys use?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

That’s for outside the tank. Tygon 1/8” inside the tank for the clunk line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.