Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What transmitter for tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What transmitter for tanks

Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM
jayhall0315

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the FrSky recommendation. I have been testing some different radios in my lab (... after hours) and if you want or have a simpler tank (meaning, you only need 4 channels), go with the Futaba Skysport 2.4 GHz. The Skysport is well designed from an electrical engineering standpoint and their signal is strong. They also work with a myriad of boards. But if you want higher end or have something like the IBU3 or ElMod Fusion Pro, then I recommend one of the FrSky Taranis radios. I recently purchased the Taranis X9D Plus Special Edition and it is the deluxe pathway to tanking. Plus, as Eric said, all the Taranis units run Open TX, which allows you to customize pretty much anything to your heart's content. So my recommendation would be:

Lower End ($40) -> go with the Futaba Skysport 2.4
Middle End ($100) -> go with the Taranis QX7 or Turnigy 9XR or 9XR Pro
High End ($200 to $250) -> go with the Taranis X9D Plus (or the X9D Plus Special Edition)

Last edited by jayhall0315; 10-03-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that write up Erik. Just what I was looking for as to a endorsement of a system.

Will this system work work with both a Tamiya tank and either Clark or IBU? I have heard that they work differently on a radio.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Thanks for that write up Erik. Just what I was looking for as to a endorsement of a system.

Will this system work work with both a Tamiya tank and either Clark or IBU? I have heard that they work differently on a radio.
FRSky has receivers with either PWM, PPM, or SBUS output. That should cover any current system out atm including Open Panzer with SBUS 16ch support. Heck if you want you can even run multiple tanks at the same time on different receivers. I'm not aware of an RC task it cannot do or operate at this time.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Desertrat99

More monkey wrenches in the mix here for me on a radio decision.

Been looking at Taranis and now a suggestion of the Turnigy 9xR system.

Does a radio exist that will do what I am asking?

I would like a radio that has

One radio that I can program with model memory for all the tanks I have or eventually will have in the motor pool.

a. both sticks self centering
b. ability to use Clark board, IBU or Tamiya tanks
c. use of rechargeable battery prefer lightweight Lipo? or something else
d. ability to assign driving to one control stick
e. turret rotation and elevation of gun to other stick
f. This is a biggie. ability to assign a switch on radio to fire fire main gun on tank and either same switch to fire machine gun or a different switch on radio.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Imex-Erik

A- Simple for FRSky transmitters, one gimbal for both sides. Replacements are ~$12ish. Can be self centered out of the box too. (not sure how much 9XR gimbals are)
B- All hobby grade transmitters should be able to use these boards as long as they have PWM output. Some of the newer boards like the Open Panzer and Clark can even take advantage of Sbus.
C- Both the Taranis or 9XR can use rechargeable. The cheaper Taranis comes with a AA battery holder but that can be removed to use a rechargeable battery. I think the 9XR is similar, my 9X used the AAx8 config when I got it.
D- That is dependent on the motherboard but all the current boards out have one stick throttle and turning. Np here.
E- Once again dependent on the motherboard.
F- OpenTX which is available for both these transmitters offers one of the best if not THE best transmitter OS there is. If it can't mix it I don't think it can be done

Most likely if you are looking at something like the TK22 with 4ch operation then yes you will have to do lots of mixing but yes it is totally possible to get most functions off that stick. However you might be better off spending a few bucks more for the 8ch version or looking at one of the other offerings from someone like IBU. These might effectively use more than the 4 channels than the base models of these companies offer. If you are looking to get all the functions off the sticks and not looking to do the mixes than the higher end models might be something worth looking at. Personally I would spend the extra $40 for a much newer and more reliable radio with parts available from US sources (Aloft Hobbies has parts and is the official US repair center). My co-worker actually just upgraded from a FS-i6 to his QX7 and loves it.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Some guys will say that I'll never need that many channels, but I have never found a radio that is easier to use than the FlySky i10. I've never seen a radio that makes it easier to do things like assigning switches, reversing servos, and assigning pots to different channels. It has a screen like a smartphone and it has a help section so if there's anything I can't figure out I can go to the help section and the radio teaches me how to do what I want to do. To charge it I just plug it into my PC and a full charge will last a very long time. It also has built-in model matching, so you can actually have multiple tanks running on the field and switch back and forth from one to the other. I'm not sure how many models it will hold but I think it's at least 16 different tanks. It's not the cheapest radio out there, but in my humble opinion, it's the very best radio you can get if you're a guy like me that doesn't really know a whole lot about radios. I've tried the cheap FlySky copies as well as the 9x and 9XR Pro and the FlySky 6 Channel radios and the one radio in my collection that I'll never give up is my i10.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Crius
Some guys will say that I'll never need that many channels, but I have never found a radio that is easier to use than the FlySky i10. I've never seen a radio that makes it easier to do things like assigning switches, reversing servos, and assigning pots to different channels. It has a screen like a smartphone and it has a help section so if there's anything I can't figure out I can go to the help section and the radio teaches me how to do what I want to do. To charge it I just plug it into my PC and a full charge will last a very long time. It also has built-in model matching, so you can actually have multiple tanks running on the field and switch back and forth from one to the other. I'm not sure how many models it will hold but I think it's at least 16 different tanks. It's not the cheapest radio out there, but in my humble opinion, it's the very best radio you can get if you're a guy like me that doesn't really know a whole lot about radios. I've tried the cheap FlySky copies as well as the 9x and 9XR Pro and the FlySky 6 Channel radios and the one radio in my collection that I'll never give up is my i10.
I have also owned the FS-i10 and I can second that ease of use opinion. I heard there is also an update coming by the end of the year to bring a few additional features as well
Old 10-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Desertrat99

I currently have a few Tamiya tanks and will have some Taigen tanks with Clark or IBU electronics I am looking at a TK22 and TK60's from Clark and I might have a IBU3 system for just one tank.

As of right now for the Tamiya tanks that I have running they are both using 75Mhz transmitters and I have then configured to drive and turn with left stick and gun and turret is right stick. Right stick also fires the gun and machine gun. This setup is not the best thing for our use as when firing main gun you have to flip the stick up to the to and sometimes it does not fire but move the elevation up instead, and I have already gone through calibrations several times on the sticks.

As you can already tell I know a tiny bit about radios and that is why I still have not pulled the trigger on a model as of yet. I do have a opportunity to get a bunch of receivers, which I believe will be the Orange ones you can get from Hobby King. (not confirmed as of yet) That would save me some funds to put toward a better radio system.

I am going to need at least two radios one for myself and one for the wifi who also wants to play with the tanks. I am looking for something in what I would call a radio that is easy to use, program and if required troubleshoot issues. However i am not looking for the cheapest one as I will be keeping it for a while and want to make the right choice. I was looking at at least 6 channels as a minimum amount as it would allow for growth. Usually, I buy things by looking out long term and not what I would need right now.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Imex-Erik

I currently have a few Tamiya tanks and will have some Taigen tanks with Clark or IBU electronics I am looking at a TK22 and TK60's from Clark and I might have a IBU3 system for just one tank.

As of right now for the Tamiya tanks that I have running they are both using 75Mhz transmitters and I have then configured to drive and turn with left stick and gun and turret is right stick. Right stick also fires the gun and machine gun. This setup is not the best thing for our use as when firing main gun you have to flip the stick up to the to and sometimes it does not fire but move the elevation up instead, and I have already gone through calibrations several times on the sticks.

As you can already tell I know a tiny bit about radios and that is why I still have not pulled the trigger on a model as of yet. I do have a opportunity to get a bunch of receivers, which I believe will be the Orange ones you can get from Hobby King. (not confirmed as of yet) That would save me some funds to put toward a better radio system.

I am going to need at least two radios one for myself and one for the wifi who also wants to play with the tanks. I am looking for something in what I would call a radio that is easy to use, program and if required troubleshoot issues. However i am not looking for the cheapest one as I will be keeping it for a while and want to make the right choice. I was looking at at least 6 channels as a minimum amount as it would allow for growth. Usually, I buy things by looking out long term and not what I would need right now.
For the Tamiya system you can move operation of functions to a different channel on the RX, no programming is needed. This is the same for the aftermarket systems out and even the new Taigen motherboard. Unfortunately I can't help much on the Tamiya systems, one of mine was DoA and the other responds to no commands so both are useless. Luckily there are tons of people here that have lots of experience with the boards and will be able to help with that and programming as well. Also, do yourself a favor and spend just a few bucks more and do NOT run Turnigy stuff on your expensive tanks. I mean do you really want to possibly failsafe and cause an issue over an extra $5 saved? HK/Turnigy stuff is ok if you are on a budget or are using non-essential electronics in your models but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
I would suggest the FlySky i6 radio. They are cheap ($40-45 for TX and RX), have a pretty solid RF link, super easy to use, have cheap and reliable receivers, and there is a patch/update to gain an extra 4 channels and turn it into a 10 channel radio if you wanted. The form factor is nice and it does have telemetry options as well as PWM/PPM/IBUS output.
If you want to keep your transmitter for a long time then FRSky is the way to go. Other brands in the past few years have really failed to offer such a good deal as FRSky and even FlySky. Futaba, Spektrum, JR, and all the other older brands I would recommend to anyone anymore. They have fallen WAY behind on features for the money and prices. FlySky does have one small disadvantage and that is parts availability. Sometimes you must call a dealer to get one of the extra self centering sticks but they are usually pretty cheap. I would just call who you plan on ordering the i6 from first to see if they have extra gimbals.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Crius

You sound like a perfect candidate for an i10. It allows room to grow, and the extra channels can be handy if you want things like volume control, servo operated MG34, receiver controlled on/off switches for extra lights or accessories, or a TC with a moving head or arm(s). For me the main thing is the ease of use. I'm pretty much a complete Gomer when it comes to radios, but the i10 has made my life a lot easier. If you want to take a close look and have specific questions I can make a video showing off my i10 (yeah, I take any excuse I can find to show it off).
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
sturmgrenadier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to building r/c vehicles (so it's understandable if some of you more seasoned r/c enthusiasts roll your eyes at my story and ignorance, and beginner questions). But, my first tank build is an Imex/Taigen Tiger I kit. It's built except I still don't have a radio system to go install and use with it. I've been waiting for the Taigen/Imex radio system to become available for several months now. I just want something simple with which to get started. I don't know what other options I have (short of waiting even longer).

Well actually, from talking with the techs at my local hobby store and reading some of the threads here, I am now of the understanding that I can use a different radio manufacturer's radio with my Tiger I kit (doesn't have to be the Imex/taigen one), but that would mean stripping out all the electronics/undoing the assembly work I've already done. And I don't really find that appealing (pride of building it was kind of a big point for me.....). Also, it would require 'reprogramming', and I don't know involved that is?

Partly because my first tank build has stalled (and partly because I really like tanks, I've been researching a second tank build project. Erik from Imex/Taigen and my local hobby store tell me that do it yourself r/c model building (including tanks) is slowly but surely dying out, though So maybe I am spitting in the proverbial wind by not buying a so-called RTR version, but I am considering putting together a Tamiya Panther G ('full option kit'). From what I'm reading here, there is no shortage of radio systems (Futaba for example) that I will be able to use with a Tamiya Panther G, correct? Thanks for enlightening a newbie here. (I didn't mean to dumb-down the more advanced discussion here).
Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by sturmgrenadier
I'm new to building r/c vehicles (so it's understandable if some of you more seasoned r/c enthusiasts roll your eyes at my story and ignorance, and beginner questions).
I know exactly how you feel. Even after five years I still feel like a total rookie sometimes.

If you just want to get your Tiger rolling and Imex is out of stock for TX/MFU packages I can sell you a gently used set for cheap, like 40 bucks plus 10 or 12 for shipping. That's a stock TX, the MFU/Main Control board, and a speaker if you need one. I've got a good rep for this sort of thing but feel free to ask around so you know I won't rip ya off.

Send me a PM if you're interested in the stock electronics, but if you want to go hobby grade I'll do all I can to advise you. If it's your first foray into hobby grade electronics I would recommend the IBU2 with a flysky i6. Pretty much completely plug and play so you won't have to undo any of the work you've done on wiring, and Ian can even hook you up with a radio and IBU2 that are all ready to go and programmed, but the downside on that is shipping costs for a TX from the UK. Just an IBU is decent, I think about 10 or 12 bucks for shipping, but the TX is considerably more to ship. I think Tanker 10 bought a package like that so maybe he'll chime in with his opinion. Anyway, the point is to get that bad-ass Tiger moving under its own power, so what can we do to help?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by Crius
You sound like a perfect candidate for an i10. It allows room to grow, and the extra channels can be handy if you want things like volume control, servo operated MG34, receiver controlled on/off switches for extra lights or accessories, or a TC with a moving head or arm(s). For me the main thing is the ease of use. I'm pretty much a complete Gomer when it comes to radios, but the i10 has made my life a lot easier. If you want to take a close look and have specific questions I can make a video showing off my i10 (yeah, I take any excuse I can find to show it off).
Thanks, that might be helpful.

I. have been leaning toward Spektrum, or Frsky Taranis radios since there is one person out here who understands what I am looking at doing with the radio. They told me today that what I want to do with setting it up, I can do it that way.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:50 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 10-05-2017, 01:48 PM
tankme

Received 205 Likes on 167 Posts

Good video. Makes everything very clear.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 PM
TheBennyB

Rat, with regards to your 75mhz radios on the tammy's. You can very easily wire in a momentary push button to fire the main gun and no longer use the trim up/stick up function. Just take the back off the TX and solder in the button to the trim pot/board area of that channel. You'll also have to drill out a spot on the TX to mount the button. Not much work and makes battling SO much easier.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
For the Tamiya system you can move operation of functions to a different channel on the RX, no programming is needed. This is the same for the aftermarket systems out and even the new Taigen motherboard. Unfortunately I can't help much on the Tamiya systems, one of mine was DoA and the other responds to no commands so both are useless. Luckily there are tons of people here that have lots of experience with the boards and will be able to help with that and programming as well. Also, do yourself a favor and spend just a few bucks more and do NOT run Turnigy stuff on your expensive tanks. I mean do you really want to possibly failsafe and cause an issue over an extra $5 saved? HK/Turnigy stuff is ok if you are on a budget or are using non-essential electronics in your models but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
I would suggest the FlySky i6 radio. They are cheap ($40-45 for TX and RX), have a pretty solid RF link, super easy to use, have cheap and reliable receivers, and there is a patch/update to gain an extra 4 channels and turn it into a 10 channel radio if you wanted. The form factor is nice and it does have telemetry options as well as PWM/PPM/IBUS output.
If you want to keep your transmitter for a long time then FRSky is the way to go. Other brands in the past few years have really failed to offer such a good deal as FRSky and even FlySky. Futaba, Spektrum, JR, and all the other older brands I would recommend to anyone anymore. They have fallen WAY behind on features for the money and prices. FlySky does have one small disadvantage and that is parts availability. Sometimes you must call a dealer to get one of the extra self centering sticks but they are usually pretty cheap. I would just call who you plan on ordering the i6 from first to see if they have extra gimbals.
Do you include the 9xr and pro in the turnigy radios not to get? I thought the modules and recivers were re badged frsky
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Do you include the 9xr and pro in the turnigy radios not to get? I thought the modules and recivers were re badged frsky?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Rat, with regards to your 75mhz radios on the tammy's. You can very easily wire in a momentary push button to fire the main gun and no longer use the trim up/stick up function. Just take the back off the TX and solder in the button to the trim pot/board area of that channel. You'll also have to drill out a spot on the TX to mount the button. Not much work and makes battling SO much easier.
I know about drilling holes and soldering a button to the board. I only plan on keeping one of these 75mhz radios for testing a new tank with and not as one of our main radios. The idea I have is not to have a single radio per tank. I think it is a big waste of resources to do things that way. (My opinion).

Decided to have a two radios, plus a spare, with model memory for the wifi and I so we can pick and choose whichever tank we want to use that week instead of having a single radio per tank. Mostly a storage space issue to have 8-10 radios instead of having just 3 of them.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Do you include the 9xr and pro in the turnigy radios not to get? I thought the modules and recivers were re badged frsky?
You can get modules for FRSky, but the stock RF link is not FRSky, they are the FlySky system. It might even be the pre-2A new system the FlySky uses as well, but I could be wrong. The FRSky RF link is a SUPER solid link and performs much better than others, though FlySky is pretty impressive for what it is. The FRSky system also offers much less latency than the Turnigy systems as well, you probably won't notice it in the tanks but in other applications it is something to think about.
If you already have a 9XR then it isn't a huge upgrade (radio to radio at least). However if you are comparing the two then the FRSky QX7 is the absolute winner in every way IMO. My Taranis sees 5-15 hours a week of use and I've had mine around 2-3 years now and it has never once given me an issue. In fact I'm still using the stock NIMH battery in it. You pay a few bucks more but you get a much newer and better designed transmitter with tons of replacement parts available from a local dealer (I use Aloft Hobbies) which supports our hobby. Buying from HobbyKing does the hobby no good. The amount of receivers for the FRSky system is super nice as well and low priced. Remember that If you plan to use something like the new Clark system or something that takes SBus or PPM you can get 16ch receivers for around $10 with replaceable antennae or about $13ish for replaceable diversity antennae.
I know I sound like a salesman for FRSky but I've never had a friend with one fail for no reason or not perform like it should (At least 10 of my buddies use either the X9D+ or QX7). They are super reliable, there is literally TONS of information and videos on it. runs OpenTX, all replacement parts available or repair services cheap, mods available (I have a 3W Visaton speaker in mine to play music while I play), RSSI built in all receivers, telemetry options, redundancy capabilities that allow you to run multiple receivers, multiplexing to have 32ch with 2 receivers, a PC app to change settings and upload firmware, voice capability in all models, and much more. It is the only transmitter I trust and will use for my important models anymore. It was the best $200 I've spent in the hobby and I'm so happy I did. The QX7 does everything the X9D+ does just with a newer and updated layout. I am not a big fan of Spektrum, I know of only 2 people that use them and they are limited to a few hundred meters before range issues and that was with carbon fiber, not the metal containers our receivers usually sit in. They feel great in the hands don't get me wrong and your hobby shop will always recommend them (as that is all they usually carry) but what you get for the money is pathetic compared to even a FlySky in terms of features. Even Futaba has fallen behind which makes me sad.
Either way you go, FRSky or Spektrum it can do what you want. The Taranis will have a bit steeper learning curve than the Spektrum radios but offers a lot more flexibility. If you don't want to program at all then probably a FlySky is a good option. I actually like the FlySky radios a lot, if the i10 ran OpenTX then that is a game changer. To each his own
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM
tomhugill

How does opentx compare to ERSKY9X? Its taken a little while but I think I've got my head round it quite well now.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM
tomhugill

Sadly in the UK the local hobby shops are few and those that are about don't tend to stock the frsky stuff, sadly that means I have to shop hobby king. Same with lipos, they either don't stock what I need or charge double hks prices.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Imex-Erik

How does opentx compare to ERSKY9X? Its taken a little while but I think I've got my head round it quite well now.
The last time I used ERSky9X or ER9X I wanted to trash the thing trying to work with apps from the early 90s lol. OpenTX now is super easy to work with now that the OpenTX Companion app is out. You have to change a single thing on your tx if you wish, the TX screen is on the app so you can make the changes there or on your tx, whichever is more comfortable. This is where I usually clone models so I can make adjustments without spending 10+ min to setup a model, it takes around 1-2 on the pc. OpenTX is much more mature and used by x100 times more people. Even the nightly builds are rock solid for me.
Sadly in the UK the local hobby shops are few and those that are about don't tend to stock the frsky stuff, sadly that means I have to shop hobby king. Same with lipos, they either don't stock what I need or charge double hks prices.
Yea FRSky doesn't have a large markup so not many hobby shops like to carry them. This will be one of the purchases I'll officially approve on HK since you can't get some in your area If you have a local quadcopter/multirotor/plane group in your area I'll bet money someone has one you can see up close if you like to have one in your hands first. I'm actually considering the QX7 for a backup radio when I decide to upgrade to the Horus X10S radio. The only reason I don't use a QX7 myself and use the X9D+ is because I'm a hybrid pincher and my fingers can trigger one of the switches at full deflection.
Oh and did I mention you can get hall effect sensor gimbals for only $20 each for that tx?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Desertrat99

Hi Erik,

I have been debating between the Turnigy and Frsky Taranis systems. I now know that on Turnigy, I can do what I want to do by moving things off the control sticks and onto switches on the transmitter. Tom worked on that the other day and posted a video showing it working.

Can you do exactly that on the Taranis? Move cannon fire, machine gun fire, engine start. etc. etc to the switches instead of the control sticks? I just want the control sticks to drive and run turret and gun elevation only.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Crius

OK, I do not work for FlySky and don't have any personal interest in what radio you go with, but I still think you would really like the i10. It's easy to assign switches and channels, and has built in model matching without having to assign receivers. Here's a bit more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.