Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What transmitter for tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What transmitter for tanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Hi Erik,

I have been debating between the Turnigy and Frsky Taranis systems. I now know that on Turnigy, I can do what I want to do by moving things off the control sticks and onto switches on the transmitter. Tom worked on that the other day and posted a video showing it working.

Can you do exactly that on the Taranis? Move cannon fire, machine gun fire, engine start. etc. etc to the switches instead of the control sticks? I just want the control sticks to drive and run turret and gun elevation only.
you can do it with any 25$ programable radio.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Erik,

I have been debating between the Turnigy and Frsky Taranis systems. I now know that on Turnigy, I can do what I want to do by moving things off the control sticks and onto switches on the transmitter. Tom worked on that the other day and posted a video showing it working.

Can you do exactly that on the Taranis? Move cannon fire, machine gun fire, engine start. etc. etc to the switches instead of the control sticks? I just want the control sticks to drive and run turret and gun elevation only.
There is NOTHING the 9X (or ANY transmitter that I am aware of) can do that the Taranis cannot do as far as programming. OpenTX is the most customize-able radio system there is and the Taranis runs it flawlessly. When I say nothing I mean it. Everything the 9X or 9XR can do the Taranis can do it or do it better.
Here is my boiled down opinion on this one: Do you really want to trust your tanks/models to a cheap Chinese factory based transmitter that cuts costs at every corner? Personally I would absolutely rather spend a few extra bucks to have a nice transmitter. I think the RF system is one of the most important things in our hobby, if you can't trust your link inside a metal box a few hundred meters away I don't want it. Just think of the damage that would happen to your tank if it ran off a table or into a wall at full speed, definitely more than the extra $40 for the nicer radio. Plus the receivers are cheaper than the Hobby King versions AND are actually legal (the Orange transmitters/modules were removed from the US market due to not compatible FCC regulations) here in the US. Oh and FRSky also has a EU compatible firmware as well so you can run high or low power depending on your location and local laws and regulations.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Rad_Schuhart

I must disagree a little bit with you, Erik. I agree with the Taranis is a really really good radio. One of the best for sure and is much better (and nice looking) than the stock Turnigy 9xr PRO, no doubt too, but:

As far as I know, OpenTX and ersky9x are very very similar, and I think everything what opentx does, ersky9x does too and viceversa, Ersky9x has a very strong community too that keeps updating the software nearly every week, and also if you want, you always can install OpenTX in the Turnigy radios. Also I dont see a point on investing a lot of money on a transmitter for a tank. I think most of us usually move our tanks lets say 5-15 meters away from us, so range and signal loss should never be a problem. And most of the tank boards has more than enough with the stock 9switches so no need to install or modify anything else.

About losing control and so on, I must say I use turnigy transmitters and never ever had any problem, even driving like 400 meters away (I was testing the range) and never ever had any problem. It has failsafe too, so the tank will never run full speed agains a wall or something.

If you tell me about something that flyes, well, definitelly there is a more delicate stuff, and then the frsky is not a bad idea at all... But IMHO a Taranis for a primitive Tamiya tank, is a complete overkill and waste of money.

About the radio that Crius talks about, I considered to buy it some time ago, but I preffer to stick with the ersky software... And also I miss the location of the triggers and also the screen is in vertical instead of horizontal. Its a matter of prefference, but it does not look like a bad radio at all.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:46 AM
jayhall0315

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rad, I would add that it is better to think of the Taranis radios as more of a platform choice. What you indicate about the Ersky is certainly true, but for someone that has perhaps two tanks, two off road RC cars, and three RC planes, the choice of a transmitter/receiver/flight controller (if needed) is more about looking at the near future and deciding which radio platform offers the best bang for the buck and future adaptability. Thanks to the maturity of the platform now, Open TX is extremely powerful and represents perhaps the best choice for the experienced or advanced RC fan to control their tanks along with other craft. They offer features at a $200 price point that others (like Futaba) do not offer at $800.

So, I do not look at various transmitters so much as one being better than another but rather, which one provides the best and most stable platform to control all my craft as the years roll by. For me, even though I am new to RC, Open TX is that pathway.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, after reading the thread, I couldn't decide between the i10 and QX7, so I got both. They should be here soon.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Maccrage

Well, they both arrived today. Got the X7 sticks wirked out to self centering. Now I have to figure out how to get the i10 self centering. Do I need to buy a kit for this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_134137-1632x1224.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	2240922  
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, you do, but tell me where you are and I might be able to help.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Crius

And here's how to put it in

Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Maccrage

Originally Posted by Crius
Yes, you do, but tell me where you are and I might be able to help.
Oregon.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccrage
Well, they both arrived today. Got the X7 sticks wirked out to self centering. Now I have to figure out how to get the i10 self centering. Do I need to buy a kit for this one?
Awesome! That was quick! That is a nice choice of transmitters you have there
Old 10-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Maccrage

Got the self centering sorted out on the i10. Thanks for the video Crius. Now I'm waiting for my Taigen V2 boards to get here. Or I could test them on the Mato M10.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking at all my options for radios and watching the video posted earlier by Crius. I was originally going to get a Turnigy 9xr pro, but due to issues with spare parts I think I have decided on a Taranis Qx7s Radio.

Now, I have to look around for info on how to program the radio to make it do what I want it to do.

Thanks formthe assist.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Desertrat99

While looking around for a place to buy the radio, I am still undecided on which one to get that fits my needs.

Maccrage how how does the i-10work for you? Are you able to program the radio easily?

Crius, looks at your video again and how do you fire the mai pen cannon on your tanks with the radio? What switch, control,stick do you use? If it is a switch, how did you program the radio?

I asked a few individuals privately how they programmed their radios to do the functions I was interested in using a Tamiya and Clark system. The answers I got were a surprise, as they said they had no idea how to program the radios with either Tamiya or Clark. Those answers do not help me out in making a final decision for a radio.

I looked at Open Tx website on how to do things and that did not help me out much either as most of the info is all Greek to me on this subject.

What i I am asking to do with the radio and tank does not seem that wild of a request. I ask how to program the radio i.e. specific steps and it seems that no one either understands what I am asking or just say it is really easy to do, but does not reveal,the steps.

I have looked around round the web quite a bit and cannot find the answers, except for someone showing in a video that the radio is already programmed, but no steps on how to program.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Maccrage

I haven't had a chance yet. Life got busy. Now I need to clean out the garage to set up my tank workbench.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been following along for a while and this thread has answered many questions. My Taigen V2 board arrived today and I am going to order a Taranis QX7 from Aloft Hobbies , they come highly recommended by Eric and located pretty close to me.
I chose this one since it seems to offer a lot for the money, and will be good for a rookie like me with lots to learn and room to grow
cheers
Mark
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I went with the Tranis Q X7 from Aloft Hobbies also. Got it in 2 days. Haven't really had much time to play with it yet. They also sell a rechargeable battery pack set up with external charging jack. Getting ready to install that. Bought the white version because I think the piano black would show fingerprints more. Yes...I actually thought about that before I bought it...
Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Crius

While taranis makes a great radio, I don't think you'll find anyone that's owned both the Taranis and the i10 that will say the Taranis is easier to program. I doubt there's any radio that's as easy to set up as the i10.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Desertrat99

Finally broke down and got a transmitter for use with the tanks. Went with a Taranis Qx7 system via Aloft Hobbies.

Figured out most setting after 4-5 days of scratching my head a bit.

The tank is setup as a left stick driving and steering and turret rotation on right stick. Other functions of MG, headlight, Cannon fire are mapped to switches on the Tx.

Have one issue trying to work out. I have a Clark TK22 in the tank and it has servo gun elevation, trying to figure out how to. Move the function to one of the pots on the transmitter?

Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Finally broke down and got a transmitter for use with the tanks. Went with a Taranis Qx7 system via Aloft Hobbies.

Figured out most setting after 4-5 days of scratching my head a bit.

The tank is setup as a left stick driving and steering and turret rotation on right stick. Other functions of MG, headlight, Cannon fire are mapped to switches on the Tx.

Have one issue trying to work out. I have a Clark TK22 in the tank and it has servo gun elevation, trying to figure out how to. Move the function to one of the pots on the transmitter?

Any suggestions?
I have no taranis Qx7, but I think the software is almost the same to the ersky9x that I use. Long time since I did it, and I dont have my radio here to double check, but if I remember right you just need to select the source to the potentiometer name, and asign a channel to it (the same channel where your servo is connected) and done.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:30 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
I have no taranis Qx7, but I think the software is almost the same to the ersky9x that I use. Long time since I did it, and I dont have my radio here to double check, but if I remember right you just need to select the source to the potentiometer name, and asign a channel to it (the same channel where your servo is connected) and done.
Won't be that simple due to the Clark left stick controls.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:26 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Won't be that simple due to the Clark left stick controls.
Well, I was thinking about plugging the servo straight to the receiver... But if the servo is connected straight to the Clark board, it is even easier. Just instead of using the stick, its a matter of sending the same channel with the pot. Takes 15 seconds to program it.

Anyway when I arrive home I can check exactly how to do it and I could guide you.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-13-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Desertrat99

Ok, something is not right. I figured out the following. Setup is RETA is that helps.
Based on a mode 1setup with driving on right. I had to move around the plugs on the receiver.

REC 1 is plug 4 on Clark.
REC 2 is plug 3 on Clark
REC 3 is plug 2 on Clark
REC 4 is plug 1 on Clark.

This allows for

Left stick turret rotation and fire cannon
Right stick is driving and steering.

What I would like to setup now is

cannon fire on the SF or SH switch
Machine gun on either SF or SH switch
engine sounds on SA
lights on SB

barrel elevation on either left stick up/down or a pot since it a servo.

When went into mixer and made some adjustments I am not sure about all the settings in the page as to what change.

Any help or instructions on s would be appreciated...

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this will help you, but this is what I used to help me learn how to program my Turnigy 9x's for the TK22.

http://jbwid.com/art74m.htm

Last edited by Dusty Steppes; 12-13-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Desertrat99

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
I don't know if this will help you, but this is what I used to help me learn how to program my Turnigy 9x's for the TK22.

Turnigy 9x/er9x- Jimbob-Wan's
already have been looking at that for the past 5 days. Only thing I got set is what I wrote above with driving and turret rotation.

Have no no idea how to deal with mixer. Tried some of the setting and they have not worked...
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Desertrat99

After nearly two weeks of trying to setup a Qx7 Taranis I have given up on the thing as I cannot get anything to work in the mixer. It is now packed up and ready to ship back to where I purchased it.

Back to evaluating radios aagin again for ease of programming with the mixer and or getting Sbus Clark board instead.

i will still need a radio that is Sbus compatible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.