Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM
vfrank59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

Balancing. Using Steel Powder of course.
I have a question on your balancing. While in the upright position, as you have, is the tail Level when you get the CG set at the balance point?
The CG is really a balance of the mass, and not aerodynamic. Hope I said that correctly. Anyway, the plane is balanced at the spot called out by the manufacturer or designer, irregardless of the incidence of the wing or tail. I would have to use my incidence meter to determine what you ask. I have not done that. I usually don't with this type airframe, unless I detect a problem, or it has bad characteristics in the air.

When building a model from plans, I check very carefully both the tail and wing incidence relative to the thrust line, as called for on the plans.

Guess I don't have a yes or no answer for you. Sorry.

Looks like the weather man may not cooperate for the maiden this Sunday. We are still hoping for the best.

Funny, After all these years, some of the littlest things perplex a person. Such is the case for me. Your explanation, just made it clear to me. Even though, I always balance my planes, on CG with a little bubble level on the horizontal stab, I should have be placing the little bubble level on the Thrust line near the tail! This would make it as accurate as possible. Thanks for clearing it up in my mushy brain!

Vern
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I also set it up with it's own battery lead and switch. The CPU and servo drive are separate in the system. This make it possible for them to have the 'arming' switch and light. Very cool. Nothing happens when you power up the system, till you press the switch, which I have mounted in the hatch with the fill valve and status light.

Here you see the switch for the gear system, the arming switch, the little red status light, and the fill valve.
The setting the door timing seamed easy,

The ''Arming'' button is where I was lost, each time you power up the model you have to turn that on too obviosly, but you also have to ''arm'' it too to make jure the TX gear switch is in the correct psotion. that way the gear doesn't open or close unexpectedly and do damage,, got that.

The question I had was. will it not ''Arm'' until you do have the correct switch position? or can you still Arm it with the switch wrong? After reading it 4/5 times I think I got my answer, No, all the doors will just stay open until the system is armed with the switch in the ''down'' position..

Pretty cool toy for the price of a decent servo.

Last question,, do the servos plug into seperate leads or is there a plug array like a RX has?,, can't tell from the pics on thier site

TIA

I might have to go for a Sunday Drive drive,, Let us know
It is like a RX in that it has built in ports to plug the extensions into. The exception is the lead for the gear switch. It is attached to the sequencer. A second power lead supplies the CPU.

I'll take some more pictures of it installed.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
ram3500-RCU

I have a question on your balancing. While in the upright position, as you have, is the tail Level when you get the CG set at the balance point?
The CG is really a balance of the mass, and not aerodynamic. Hope I said that correctly. Anyway, the plane is balanced at the spot called out by the manufacturer or designer, irregardless of the incidence of the wing or tail. I would have to use my incidence meter to determine what you ask. I have not done that. I usually don't with this type airframe, unless I detect a problem, or it has bad characteristics in the air.

When building a model from plans, I check very carefully both the tail and wing incidence relative to the thrust line, as called for on the plans.

Looks like the weather man may not cooperate for the maiden this Sunday. We are still hoping for the best.

Funny, After all these years, some of the littlest things perplex a person. Such is the case for me. Your explanation, just made it clear to me. Even though, I always balance my planes, on CG with a little bubble level on the horizontal stab, I should have be placing the little bubble level on the Thrust line near the tail! This would make it as accurate as possible. Thanks for clearing it up in my mushy brain!

Vern
I'm glad I didn't confuse things even more. Glad to help.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
vfrank59

Well, I will double check my CARF corsair. I am waiting for things to cool down in Az. Plan on the Maiden 1st week of Sept.

[img][/img]

Vern
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84266.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1647775  
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

Instructions say the CG is 1/2" in front of the main spar "when viewed from the top". This is important to note because the spar is canted forward slightly. Not sure yet how critical this is on this plane, but we are setting it up per instructions for the maiden at least. No mention is made of whether want the gear up or down for this, but to be safe, we had the gear up. The Moki 250 with it's ignition is heavy, so it helps with the process. As 2/3 of the tank is ahead of the CG, and the gear is also fairly heavy, with fuel and the gear down, she will be safely nose heavy.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: docgboy

I have around 100 flights on my corsair and one thing I would like to share about the gear is make sure it is locked when in the down position. I test it very sinply by using the palm of my hand and smack the front of the tire sharply. If the elbow buckles you need to adjust the gear to move it forward until you can strike without buckling. If it gives with this technique it will fold on anything short of a greased landing.
I have to compromise and not have the gear fully retracted into the bays to accomplish this but it is hardly noticable during flight and is a better alternative than fixing ripped off doors. Ask me how I know.

Scott
I'd also like to ask, in your experience, how is the recommended CG? Any changes? Did you use the recommended location for the tail wheel steering servo? Seems almost impossible to service. What engine are you using? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

At last, the wing is working on airframe one. Works perfectly, (now).

Here is a link to the test.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIVRdERf4w
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
ram3500-RCU

We came up with a simple, bullet proof method of locking the wings down for flight. It consists of a bolt, threaded down onto the locking pin. With this bolt in place, it is impossible for it to move. The bolt will be easy to install through the movable door on the top of the wing.

We operated the wing with only one bolt in place to show that it would have no effect on the system if they were in place and the switch was accidentally flipped. With both bolts in place, the pump simply won't run.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHtu2Se3LQ
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM
ram3500-RCU

This little pressure gauge monitors the pressure in the accumulator.

BTW, maiden is set for this Saturday at the Alliance Balsa Bees.

She is ready.

Name:	Qn38474.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1650576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82239.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1650577  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
ram3500-RCU

Well, I will double check my CARF corsair. I am waiting for things to cool down in Az. Plan on the Maiden 1st week of Sept.

[img][/img]

Vern
Looks good. We wish you well on the maiden.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

Well, the first flight is out of the way! Airframe #1 has flown.

Pre-flight was meticulous, and she performed well. The Moki started easily and ran flawlessly.

We were not able to operate the wings remotely, as the servo on the valve ran wild and stripped out before the RX sinced up. We need to deal with that, but we used our locking bolts and they worked great. The gear worked without issue, and so did everything else.

I used a very high rate on the elevator for very positive ground control, and went to the recommended throw for the take off. We programed the ailerons with the recommended differential, and no adverse characteristics were detected in flight.

Take off was a thing of beauty, and that Moki mesmerized the crowd, which was large. Most of the crowd had not seen or heard a Moki radial run in person. It was the buzz of talk all day.

It was very foggy in the early part of the morning, so we started the Moki and I did some taxt trials for just a couple minutes, for some action. Many stuck around just to see the Corsair fly in the afternoon, just after lunch.

When it came time to land, I set up (full flaps on final) and made a very normal approach, but the sink rate got the best of me in the last 10 feet, just a tad too slow. I eased forward on the throttle (too nervous about over torquing and snapping) and used generous rudder to hold her straight, but she still landed hard enough on her mains to bounce back up. At this point, I should have continued to add power and aborted the landing, but I continued and watched her bounce two more times. On the third touchdown, she was a little too nose down for the gear to handle, and it gave in. She came down on the open gear doors and ripped them off. They are carbon fiber and practically indestructible, however, we found out that they make great knives. The left two doors sliced the the flaps behind them as they were run over by the wing. All 4 gear doors were ripped off. We cycled the gear back down and pulled her off the runway on her wheels. After a careful inspection back in the shop, the gear door and the damage to a couple flaps is all we found. The gear is fine (wow, that is some tough gear and thank you Darrel, and thanks to CARF for a well engineered wing) the even the prop was undamaged (wood blades too).

I wish the landing would have been better, but that withstanding, this is one great flying aircraft. Next flight will be longer (we had 3/4 of a tank of fuel left after the first flight) and included more slow speed testing and several simulated landing approaches at altitude.

Name:	Rp44225.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1651722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92648.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	1651723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63117.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1651724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44094.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	1651725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41726.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	1651726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14443.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	1651727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91315.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1651728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23479.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1651729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24374.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1651730  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly a Beautiful plane even without color ,,, but unfortunately I am selling mine even before it flies. here's the link,,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=774017

BV
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

Truly a Beautiful plane even without color ,,, but unfortunately I am selling mine even before it flies. here's the link,,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=774017

BV
Agreed. After some more flying this month, we will tear her down and add the paint in September.

Wish you well on your sale. We purchased this plane, we are calling airframe 1, here on RCU. It came to us with the Moki 250, all the servos including 9 8711s, and it was the ARF version, so most of the building was done. It was also new and not totally completed. We changed several things, and still have a few changes to make, but we are very happy with it overall so far. She garners a ton of attention and we have yet to showcase the wing folding system. Can't wait to get that working.

BTW, shipping was about $350 total from California to Ohio via Forward Air. I highly recommend that shipping service. It took two large crates to ship the plane.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Good seeing you again Gary,, I was like everyone was Bummed for you guys,, After such a great flight,, Just the sound of the 250 was worth the drive out. I was like many I'm sure was thinking "power up,, power up",, It looked like it wasn't that bad a bounce really,, I was surprised when the gear folded back

I had a great time out there, 4 good flights of my own,,Hope you guys can make it out on Saturday and we get that same great weather in Grafton,,

Cya
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 PM
ram3500-RCU

Good seeing you again Gary,, I was like everyone was Bummed for you guys,, After such a great flight,, Just the sound of the 250 was worth the drive out. I was like many I'm sure was thinking ''power up,, power up'',, It looked like it wasn't that bad a bounce really,, I was surprised when the gear folded back

I had a great time out there, 4 good flights of my own,,Hope you guys can make it out on Saturday and we get that same great weather in Grafton,,

Cya
Thank you for coming down and I'm glad you had a good time. It was a good crowd and collection of planes I thought.

She will be totally repaired in a couple days (nothing major), and Brian is adding a new switch to isolate the wing folding servo from the RX while the radio binds up. The wing folding system is working fine other than that minor problem with the valve servo. That means that Saturday, we should also be able to fold the wings.

We weighed her before we took her apart after we got back to the shop. 62lbs!!!!! Easy to see how the gear took all she could till the third bounce. I'm just glad Darrel is such a good engineer when it come to our gear, and that he uses the good materials he does. Chinese crap would not have taken that. IMO, if the gear had not folded, it may well have damaged the airframe. The gear absorbed the shock. As for adding power, I did advance the throttle slightly, but |I was paranoid about torquing over. In retrospect, I should have just advanced the power after the first bounce and gone around.

We learned a lot about the airplane on the first flight. The second will be better. She flys like she weighs much less, but you need to respect that weight when you bring her in. The sink rate was more than I expected, after flying Zombie with that big flat bottom wing. The Corsair is a very different.

We are planning to come to your event with Zombie, the F4U, and a couple other military birds. How did you like the electric P-51? Might bring that as well.

As for the second flight on the Corsair, I plan a much longer flight plan to include simulated approaches at altitude, some typical fighter aerobatics in order to better 'feel' out the control throws, CG tests, and much better landings.

We had a little glitch on the inner gear doors on Zombie that is also being addressed.

All in all, it was a good day, I thought. I didn't see any major damage done to any airplanes unless I missed something.

It was a joy to see the crowd enjoy the big Moki like they did. We got many compliments on it, and the plane in general, even without the paint job and detailing.

Till Saturday.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 AM
docgboy

you need to move the collars up on the main strutts to move the gear slight more forward. This will lock the gear in the down position. Air pressure alone will not keep the gear down. You may need to adj the rear of the gear mounts tp get the gear to retrct fully into the bays. Don't try again with the gear set in the same position or it will continue to happen.
Also the plane needs to set on the mains in a level attitude on landing and no up elevator and sometimes I add a little down when she touches. If you try a 3 point landing or land pull on the up elevator it will bounce every time.
Just telling you from my experiences.
Scott
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Good seeing you again Gary,, I was like everyone was Bummed for you guys,, After such a great flight,, Just the sound of the 250 was worth the drive out. I was like many I'm sure was thinking ''power up,, power up'',, It looked like it wasn't that bad a bounce really,, I was surprised when the gear folded back

Cya
Thank you for coming down and I'm glad you had a good time. It was a good crowd and collection of planes I thought.

She will be totally repaired in a couple days (nothing major), and Brian is adding a new switch to isolate the wing folding servo from the RX while the radio binds up. The wing folding system is working fine other than that minor problem with the valve servo. That means that Saturday, we should also be able to fold the wings.

We weighed her before we took her apart after we got back to the shop. 62lbs!!!!! Easy to see how the gear took all she could till the third bounce. I'm just glad Darrel is such a good engineer when it come to our gear, and that he uses the good materials he does. Chinese crap would not have taken that. IMO, if the gear had not folded, it may well have damaged the airframe. The gear absorbed the shock. As for adding power, I did advance the throttle slightly, but |I was paranoid about torquing over. In retrospect, I should have just advanced the power after the first bounce and gone around.

We learned a lot about the airplane on the first flight. The second will be better. She flys like she weighs much less, but you need to respect that weight when you bring her in. The sink rate was more than I expected, after flying Zombie with that big flat bottom wing. The Corsair is a very different.

We are planning to come to your event with Zombie, the F4U, and a couple other military birds. How did you like the electric P-51? Might bring that as well.

As for the second flight on the Corsair, I plan a much longer flight plan to include simulated approaches at altitude, some typical fighter aerobatics in order to better 'feel' out the control throws, CG tests, and much better landings.

We had a little glitch on the inner gear doors on Zombie that is also being addressed.

All in all, it was a good day, I thought. I didn't see any major damage done to any airplanes unless I missed something.

Till Saturday.
I tiny bit more speed before touch down and you'd have been in great shape,, it was like it hit a gust of wind and just dropped,, I was impressed with how slow she came in for that size and weight a bird.. You know,, Us all in the pits always know what to do and what should have been done

The only plane I think that went in was a B-25,, seams to me while I was flying I saw it doing a flat spin, looked like a Maple Seed floating down. I thought the guys was doing a one engine aerobatic stunt or something, but my caller said it looked like it landed softly in the corn. I never investigated. It was amazing with what,, 60-70 planes? none got stuffed in. A good testament to the skill and workmanship of pilots these days,, not to mention reliability of equipment.

Cya Sat.,,, Tom

p.s.
I did like the P-51,, we had a couple semi formation passes, That was fun for me,, Not sure if you were digging it

I'm still conflicted when it comes to the lack of engine sound and E-power Warbirds

Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: docgboy

you need to move the collars up on the main strutts to move the gear slight more forward. This will lock the gear in the down position. Air pressure alone will not keep the gear down. You may need to adj the rear of the gear mounts tp get the gear to retrct fully into the bays. Don't try again with the gear set in the same position or it will continue to happen.
Also the plane needs to set on the mains in a level attitude on landing and no up elevator and sometimes I add a little down when she touches. If you try a 3 point landing or land pull on the up elevator it will bounce every time.
Just telling you from my experiences.
Scott
Thanks Scott. Good advice. I will look at those things. It looks like the gear braces are fully engaged in their seats, but I will take another look. I never attempt a three point with a war bird. The one picture is taken after the second bounce. By then, the landing was a mess.[] She sure is different to land than the P-47 with the longer moments.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM
ram3500-RCU

p.s.
I did like the P-51,, we had a couple semi formation passes, That was fun for me,, Not sure if you were digging it

I'm still conflicted when it comes to the lack of engine sound and E-power Warbirds

Yes, I WAS digging it. A downer with electric is the short duration if you stay in the power. Two or three high speed maneuvers and a couple vertical ones and the rest of the time is in the big oval pattern. I do like the lack of mess, and with a 22 X 10 CF prop, the big Hacker sounds more like a Merlin than a big single gas job, but the duration is only about 5 min, so we fly the 20 X 10 instead.

We may bring it Saturday. Not sure.

Yes, a little more power and we make a good landing, I think. Next time.

The flaps are fixed, the wing folding control servo is changed out and now switched to protect it, the gear is checked out, the exhaust ring jam nuts are tightened, the prop hub bolts are checked and tightened, and new hinges are being installed on the gear doors. I'm also working on the pilot for #2, and thought of using Velcro to secure him so I can install him in #1 till we are ready with the other one. Might have him in by Saturday as well.

See you all then.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,
congrats on the maiden, sounds like you have it figured out for the second flight.. Can't wait for some vid's of her flying...

Here is a link if your looking for better sound on the stang, they sound pretty cool..
http://www.aerosoundrc.com/

Jimbo
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Gary,
congrats on the maiden, sounds like you have it figured out for the second flight.. Can't wait for some vid's of her flying...

Here is a link if your looking for better sound on the stang, they sound pretty cool..

Jimbo
Sweet Jimbo. I like it. Thanks for the congrats. We are learning a lot about this airplane. It is a good strong airframe, with very good flying characteristics so far. Next time out will be a longer and more extensive run through of what it is capable of. We want to get her all wrung out before we tear her down for paint.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Gary,

Jimbo
Sweet Jimbo. I like it. Thanks for the congrats. We are learning a lot about this airplane. It is a good strong airframe, with very good flying characteristics so far. Next time out will be a longer and more extensive run through of what it is capable of. We want to get her all wrung out before we tear her down for paint.
I really love to idea of flying and getting all the bugs worked out before finishing. Nothing worse then getting a rash all over a brand new plane that you spent months on getting the details right.. This is something i will do in the future with all my scale projects, get them flying first, them make them pretty..
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I loved to fly my Corsair but always dreaded landing it due to gear failure (ripped off doors 4 times) so I passed the airframe on to a good friend for 0 cost. We are both very experienced modelers.

After workin over the gear for the umteenth time, it failed on him on a greased landing. He emailed Andreas and was told that after many complaints of gear failure and ripped off gear doors Comp-Arf has agreed to have the landing gear re-designed.

Please direct your questions and concerns to Ray Labonte. The more inquiries, the faster the job will get done. Not having a positive lock on a 60lb airframe (not to mention a hugh investment) is insane.......................

Going the Locked & Down conversion may be the way to go............... If that conversion works out, I may ask for my airframe back.................Please keep us advised of your progress on the conversion................
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: didiwatt

I loved to fly my Corsair but always dreaded landing it due to gear failure (ripped off doors 4 times) so I passed the airframe on to a good friend for 0 cost. We are both very experienced modelers.

After workin over the gear for the umteenth time, it failed on him on a greased landing. He emailed Andreas and was told that after many complaints of gear failure and ripped off gear doors Comp-Arf has agreed to have the landing gear re-designed.

Please direct your questions and concerns to Ray Labonte. The more inquiries, the faster the job will get done. Not having a positive lock on a 60lb airframe (not to mention a hugh investment) is insane.......................

Going the Locked & Down conversion may be the way to go............... If that conversion works out, I may ask for my airframe back.................Please keep us advised of your progress on the conversion................
Thanks for the heads up. We will certainly keep you all informed on the conversion. The next airframe will have both electric gear and electric wings, both converted by Down and Locked. He has the gear and is working on it. We will be shipping him the center section of the wing in a few days.

There is also a new product in the works from Down and Locked that will help the air gear crowd. Keep watching.

Here are a few more pictures from the first flight.

Name:	Wt59366.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1652730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41063.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1652731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41648.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1652732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28290.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1652733  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: didiwatt

If I may, I thought of a couple questions.

How large is your air capacity?

Any idea what your air pressure was when landing?

Did the problem seem to get worse as more failures occurred?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.