Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Retract mounting questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Retract mounting questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Retract mounting questions

guys, I have a .60 size VQ P-40, span is 62"..as far as ARF's go it seams to be a very nice plane, I'm about to order the retracts, and I am going to go with the Eflight 60-120 size, they are recommended for up to 15 pounds and my plane should come in around 9 pounds, too add there seams to be less complaints about these Eflight's than other retracts that cost more,,

note that these Eflight Retracts are 95 Degree units,

questions,,
1) the wood mounts on my wings are longer than the Retracts frames are, so do I mount the retracts as far forward as I can get them ??,, note that I would rather have them forward so the plane would be less likely to nose-over, but if I do mount them forward will that screw with my CG when the wheels come down for landings ??

2) I am going to buy scale Struts, and I am 99.99% sure I will have to cut them to size, so most likely I will buy Robart's because they are designed to be cut to size,, the shiny Eflights look very-very nice, but my 2 thoughts about them are, 1) the Chinese Metal will look bad in time, and 2) they are not painted as the Robart's are

3) are there other brand .60 size Struts I should look at ? note that I want a good product,

4) if I buy Struts with a Stranded measurement Mounting Pins I will need an MM adapter Pin to mount them, example, the Robart's are 3/16, so I would need a Pin 5mm X 3/16, does any one make adapters or will I have to make my own ??

thanks guys !!

Jim
Old 12-13-2017, 12:43 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

A few thoughts.

E-Flite retracts are great, I've seen very few issues with them and most of them are user induced.

Mount them flat, perfectly flat, you don't want any binding by having the rails anything other than perfectly aligned. Slowly tighten each screw in turn a bit at a time and test the retract sequence for any binding.

As far forward as possible. With retracts like that and the Corsair and others yes you get a CG change. Fortunately, you're shifting the CG slightly forward (not a lot, they are pretty close to the CG anyways) which is perfect for landing. Set your CG for flight with the gear retracted. It will be a tad nose heavy with the gear down but like I said, thats good.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:25 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Eflight 60-120 retracts on my TF 60 Corsair and have not had any problems. I had to use tempered wire to mount my Robart struts. The Eflight wire is too soft, it bent on the first landing.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM
the Wasp

thanks for the info guys !!, both have helped !

Jim
Old 12-14-2017, 03:11 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim just another option but look into the 1700 mm Corsair FMS retracts sold by Motion RC .
they come with the struts at $110 and they are very reliable for the weight and size of your model.
I use them on an EPO 80 model ( 14.5 lbs ) no issues.
Motion RC is a great distributor, veteran owned, and they know and love the rc community
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM
the Wasp

LDM, thanks for replying !!

look into the 1700 mm Corsair FMS retracts sold by Motion RC
yes I looked at them, I like the idea that their Plastic Case will not flex like a 2 part Case can, my comeplaint is that their struts are blue, i would not like blue struts on my green P-40,,

are their Struts plastic or aluminum ?? and can you measure your struts in millimeters ?? if not standard inch will be fine too,,, also, if you have the dimensions of the Case that would help greatly !!

thanks big time, it's nice to know you have had good luck with them , I will go back and look at them again !

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 12-14-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:06 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you want are the VQ ARE-23 retracts they are made for the VQ p40

http://www.piccoleali.it/en/vq-model...40-arf-60.html

Last edited by iron eagel; 12-16-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: link
Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 PM
the Wasp

What you want are the VQ ARE-23 retracts they are made for the VQ p40
I believe those are EMS, or FMS units, most likely made in the same factory, what I found with FMS is their Part Numbers range from 004, to 005 to 006, that makes me think that the 006 are the latest, updated units

Jim
Old 12-17-2017, 01:24 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your right.