Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF Galloping Ghost build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF Galloping Ghost build

Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, once I get the engine back installed I can show more of the details. Again. I'm open for suggestions! just my ideas and I'm open to learn from others.
Here's how I mounted the servo for the choke. Really simple basic servo tray hysoled to the side. It isn't going no where. When I get the engine in I'll show hows it's a straight shot right to the choke linkage on the engine side.

Servo mount for choke
Old 04-11-2018, 04:12 PM
rbgetz

I was able to finally test the engine today with the fuel pump. Ran great and started right up. Needed a little tuning. I checked the valve gaps prior to running. From the factory they were all fairly consistent. I still had to adjust a few. my only concern was that the nuts on the adjustments bolts were over tightened. I could barely get them off. So, I'd check if you haven't. I'm sure at the factory they firmly tighten so they don't come loose in shipping, but they were a little over tight. Definitely use a nut driver to loosen first time to avoid possibly stripping.

So, I'll go ahead an install the engine in the air frame and get moving on the rest of work

Old 04-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good so far!

you can order some spare screws and nuts for gap adjust. good to have, just ask Götz or in the comany to send you 2 sets.

one more tip for you:

a nice model with this awesome engine deservs better exhaust stacks. we have a private builder here in austria, who makes very nice ones.

Tell me if you want to have them!

Tom
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM
rbgetz

I got the engine installed and the throttle and choke linkages all connected. things get really tight up front. Installing the engine takes some orchestration. example: getting the spark plugs cables connected as you're installing is a little bit of a challenge, also aligning the throttle linkage while installing a 16 pound engine in one hand wasn't easy. . To help with the CG, I was able to get the ignition and fuel pump batteries all the way aft under the hatch for the tail wheel assembly. I hope to get the fuel tank and RX installed as soon. I won't install the two RX batteries until I do a weight and balance check and then put in place the for final balance..

using some foam, the hatch will compress the batteries and hold in place

Ignition and fuel pump batteries
Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Ixtrim

Looks good so far!

So you bring the fuel from the tank to the back, where the pump is and the all the way to the front ? i would build the fuel lines as short as possible. cant say if that efford ist the CG balance level worth ?!

Tom
Old 04-19-2018, 04:00 AM
rbgetz

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the confusion. I just have the Battery for the fuel pump in the back, not the pump. The actual fuel pump will be right next to the fuel tank all the way up front by the firewall. It will be very short.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Ixtrim

Oh, my fault. Didn’t get it ... maybe lost in translation

go on!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 PM
rbgetz

Looks like CARF just announced another in the line of Reno Racers.. The Stegra... Looks nice.

New CARF Stegra
Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 PM
rbgetz

So, back to the ghost, but first had to get my Bearcat back together for the season. 1:4 scale 3W kit with Moki 300. Added a smoke system and replaced all electronics. Working great and ready to go. ran out of smoke fuel when I took video.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:20 PM
rbgetz

The Kolm -IL230 has two vent nipples on the front and aft end of the engine. I made two of these little oil catchers. took just took a small plastic contained, drilled some vents in it and added some filter material you use for fish tanks. Then used velcro. Really easy to see and clean if required. This is the front one.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 PM
rbgetz

Added the fuel tank mount. the tank will sit center on the estimated CG. I used 1/6" G10 glass to make the mounting brackets and the fuel tank support cross brackets. Hysoled the mounts to the side of the airframe then used 3mm bolts with blind nuts epoxied in place. Although the G10 is thin and very light, this mount is extremely strong with zero flex in the cross braces. you could probably pick the whole plane up just by the tank mount. I can also remove the tank completing if I need to get more working room in the fuselage. One thing I do know, this engine will need to be pulled at times. the easier you can make things modular the better.

Support bracket parts cut from G10

Fuel tank support brackets

3mm blind nuts

Support brackets Hysoled to to airframe

34oz tank Velcroed to fuel tank mount and wrapped in 1" Velcro strap.

Completed fuel tank mount in place.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:30 PM
rbgetz

I've been waiting for the pilot to come, but I'm probably moving forward without the pilot bust. Starting to come together, I just couldn't wait to get some decals on it. The prop hub needed to be cut and also the 5mm bolt that came from CARF to hold the spinner on was too long. You'll need a 5mm x 90mm bolt for the spinner to fit the SL prop adapter. I'm ready to install the RX batteries so hopefully this week I can get the whole plane put together and get the CG right. Still a few weeks to go with getting it ready. Unfortunately have some work travel that gets in the way.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 AM
DraganRi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARF Galloping Ghost build

Originally Posted by rbgetz
Looks like CARF just announced another in the line of Reno Racers.. The Stegra... Looks nice.

New CARF Stegra
About the Strega - my friend Massimo and his father from Italy built the Strega
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 AM
rbgetz

That is FANTASTIC! All custom built. Really, really nice. I wish I could see it in person. That was great motivation for me to finish this plane.

It would be great to get Tom and his VooDoo, the Strega and the Ghost all in the air at the same time. I see that coming??? Well. that may be hard with too many countries apart. Hopefully someone near me will build a CARF Strega.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rob,
Your Ghost is lookin great. It looks like it won’t be long now. I still haven’t finished mine yet as we moved several months ago and been trying to unpack and get a new shop set up. Hoping to get back on mine next week. Any idea yet where you will be on weight yet for your ghost? And CG, have you decided what balance point you are going to use? Thanks. Jon
Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM
rbgetz

Hi Jon,

I should be able to get a close final weight by this weekend and I'll make sure to post it. As for CG, I hear different things. I heard center over the wing tube. Andreas sent me an email a while back and said around 7" from leading edge at wing root. that would place it in front of the wing tube. I think for my first flight I'd rather a little further back based I what I've heard. So I'm going to balance to the front edge of the wing tube.

Hey, at least moving you get to set up a new shop. I moved 5 years ago and it took a while to get the new shop in order. Good luck with that. Rob
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 PM
MDavis28

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice builds going on here! Keep up the great work!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 AM
Jonboy2

Hey Rob,
Question for you—I will be using the APS fuel pump with my 155. It is the pump that Gotz sells and recommends for this motor. Could you please tell me how you set up your fuel pump for your 230? I think I got it all plumbed correctly from the tank to the carbs. Just wondering as far as programming. I am assuming you don’t want it running at full pump capacity at full throttle. I thought I had read somewhere to program full like at 70%. Also, do you have your your programmed to your throttle stick or is it just on or off by flipping a switch on your transmitter? This is the first time I have used this type of external fuel pump and just not sure of its proper operation and set-up. Thanks. Jon
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM
rbgetz

Hi Jon, So I've run these pumps on other planes as well. I use it for my Moki on my Bearcat for last three years. I don't program or have it mixed to the throttle. i.e. increase throttle, increase fuel pump volume. I just have it set to one setting. I believe it's at like 60%-70%. will check when I get home tonight. I have the pump on a separate 2-position switch on the TX. pump-on / pump-off. turn it on prior to priming/starting and leave on until I shut down. simple and easy. You just don't want to run the pump with no fuel in the tank. ALSO... I would highly recommend putting a check-valve on the pump return back to the fuel tank. So, I have the pump return fuel line connected to my fill line of the fuel tank and have a check-valve on the line. Without a check valve, when filling the tank, it would push fuel back through the return line into the pump and flood the engine. This just stops that. Fuel should just flow one direction from pump return back to tank. I've included a picture and drew in where I added the check valve.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Jonboy2

Rob, thank you very much for the info. I do appreciate it. Any idea where to buy a decent check valve? Thanks again. Jon
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 PM
rbgetz

Hi Jon, I just checked my pump on two planes. 2-position is set to 0% for off and 55% on. I guess it was lower then I thought. Some people are concerned that they fail. I can't prove this, but i think mine have lasted since I don't run them really high all the time and have them set to one standard flow rate. You're just providing the Kolm a little more efficient flow. I've only been using them for about 3 years now, so I might replace my oldest one next year as a precaution. Some people probably have a lot more experience then me...

As for check valve, I got mine at Dream Works. Their new web site is a little challenging but here's the links to two that I've used... Sullivan is OK for the return, or the secraft is really nice. I'm using that one for the ghost but ran the sullivan check valve on my test stand for the Kolm.
https://www.dreamworksrc.com/check-a...hon-valve.html
https://www.dreamworksrc.com/secraft...-valve-v2.html
Old 04-26-2018, 03:32 AM
Ixtrim

look very good so far ! like you idea with a flight all together :-)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:29 PM
rbgetz

I decided to place the Rx right behind the cockpit. built a mounting plate for the Rx that will set it at a 60 degree angle. I first formed a back wall of the cockpit. The RX mount will sit on that.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:34 PM
rbgetz

Got got all my wiring done and plumbing for the fuel lines. Now all my wiring is fairly clean.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 PM
rbgetz

Since I'm not building a full scale cockpit on this one, you can see a lot from looking through the canopy. I can see the fuel level with a clear tank, the red light is my ignition light. The blue light is my fuel pump light. I also built a type of instrument panel. in the center of that is my tachometer. At least it's somewhat functional cockpit. One thing about this CARF p-51, is once you put that wing on, which takes time....you have no access to the inner fuse. it would of been nice to build an access panel or allow the canopy to be removed.. So.. seeing fuel and other key components seemed better for me than having a scale cockpit...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.