Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF Galloping Ghost build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF Galloping Ghost build

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 05:42 AM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ixtrim
Looks really good!

do you guys check the head temp and RPM in flight ?

Tom
HI Tom,

I hope all is well with you. I don't check in flight and I really want to do that. I have Jeti radio and was wondering if there's a way with take the Kolm RPM data and use Jeti telemetry to transmit without getting the Jeti RMP sensor. I do plan to add this at end of season.
The following users liked this post:
wing13z (08-05-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 AM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rbgetz
HI Tom,

I hope all is well with you. I don't check in flight and I really want to do that. I have Jeti radio and was wondering if there's a way with take the Kolm RPM data and use Jeti telemetry to transmit without getting the Jeti RMP sensor. I do plan to add this at end of season.

it is ! go for the sparkwitch pro!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:08 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

beautiful airplane and awesome thread! Thank you so much for doing this. It will help others.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:34 PM
orthobird

I am excited, I just ordered mine.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:11 PM
orthobird

mine arrived today! I am nervous! It is one amazing airplane with regards to build quality.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:26 PM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by orthobird
mine arrived today! I am nervous! It is one amazing airplane with regards to build quality.
Congrats!

Due to your signature its not needed to ask what engine will go in :-)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:52 AM
rbgetz

Hi orthobird,

I'm curious as well to what engine. congrats on getting the new plane. You'll really like it and it's definitely a plane you don't see at the field. Every time I fly it, people seem to what to stop and watch. I have all the photos from CARF on either the DA100 or the Kolm 230 build if you'd like.

Rob
Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Ixtrim

You can also go with the Il155-2 or the Il150-3 if you won’t want to go that big. This racer deserves a 4stroke !!
Old 09-29-2020, 06:48 PM
GR8R8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of info in this thread that I will be referencing shortly. My Strega will be here on Friday and I’m about 8 weeks out on my Kolm...
Old 10-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, have CARF fixed the gear rail alignment issue on this version of the mustang to line then up with the strut doors better or do you still have to redo the gear rails to get this right?
Old 10-10-2020, 04:07 PM
orthobird

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Hey guys, have CARF fixed the gear rail alignment issue on this version of the mustang to line then up with the strut doors better or do you still have to redo the gear rails to get this right?
Not on my kit. It lined up very well. I have the GG version. I received it about 1 month ago.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by Craig B.

i think no. This is why they build it only with one hinge for each door. As you do it like in the video above , It works.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM
orthobird

question for the GG owners, when installing the engine, is there down thrust? Is there right thrust?
Old 10-17-2020, 04:13 AM
orthobird

wanted to share these pictures of installing the baffling kit for a DA 100 inline in the CARF GG P-51.

I did not show the pictures of installing the firewall doubler and the long threaded screws, but once that is installed, and the measurements have to be just perfect for this to work out. SO that 1st step is critical.

After that, then the next step is to cut out the hole in the front of the bottom of the cowl for the air entry:

then, you will notice that on the firewall doubler, there are two slot. these two slots are for the cylinder head baffle plate tabs. the baffle plate has two tabs. these will key into the firewall. Does not get easier than that. But, the placement is critical in that, the front end of the plate has to be positioned such that, the spark plug cap clears it. I will demonstrate in next few pictures. But once you have it positioned where you want it, then drop some thin CA to provisionally hold it in place.

as I was test fitting it, it was binding, so I got my dremel, and cleared any glue that was in the way until it was fully engaged.

this is demonstrating the intimate contact between the back end of the baffle plate and the firewall. This cannot be off by even 1 mm, as this will throw everything else off. SO check this 1st before committing to gluing it.

another view of test fitting it. No glue yet. I will then install the motor and see how it fits and if the spark plug caps will clear it.

in this position, the spark plug cap will not fit, so it has to be slid slightly more to the left. Not only that, you can place it so that it lines up with the front air diverter plate. I will demonstrate.

this is the top plenum. You will need to test fit it and then mark with a sharpie the outline on the left side and the front side, and then with a dremel, cut out part of the front end of the fuselage so that it keys in perfectly.

this picture demonstrates the air diverter plate. the left side of this should line up with the front end of the cylinder head baffle plate. As pictured. Apply a drop of thin CA to help hold it place, and then reinstall the motor to make sure everything is well aligned.

SO here it is, so far, so good. It is all fitting well.

another view of the front diverter plate.

Looking from the front air inlet, the air diverter will direct the air flow towards the left side of the cowl, and now the air will rush thru the cylinder fins and then down to the right side of the motor.

this is the side where the air will travel once air is forced thru the cylinder fins. I did force compressed air thru the front air scoop, and it was all passing out in this area. Really cool!

after liking it all, I installed the plenum and drilled for the 4 screws, then I removed it and filled the holes with CA. Next step is to apply the 30 minute epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass and micro-balloons.

these next pictures show where I placed the fillet of epoxy and micro-balloons with milled FG.

KS sells a spinner that is 6.25" in diameter. I had to cut out the holes for the propeller blades, it costs about 80 euros. I did send an EMAIL to CARF and they state that the airplane will not require down thrust, but, it is best to line up the prop spinner back plate to the fuselage and make it align well, and then deal with a rudder to throttle mix to counter the torque. I am ok with that.

I followed the instructions from Tru Turn on how to polish a spinner. 320 wet, followed by 400 wet, then 600 wet. Makes a huge mess, and then I buffed it, all by hand, using 3M polish and rubbing compound. There are still some machining marks on the spinner, and if my hands were not cramping, I would have kept working on it. I think I may have carpal tunnel syndrome.

i think I got it aligned pretty well.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisPetersen (02-27-2022)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:45 AM
GR8R8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking GREAT... I need to get mine started...
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Chris I hope you make a video of a flight when all is finished.. I'm sure it'll sound and look great!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:35 AM
orthobird

I was able to install the left sided dummy exhaust stacks. I did remove 2 of them in order to allow an opening for the 2 carbs. According to the DA website, there needs to be at least a 1/2" distance between the carb opening and the cowl.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 AM
orthobird

i was able to manufacture a custom exhaust that is functional.

Inline DA 100

Stainless steel tubing from McMaster Carr

KS exhaust flanges and KS 90 degree bends. tubing from flange to muffler is 25 mm diameter.

front end of muffler had to be relieved in order for it to not touch the cowl.

this plastic mock exhaust stack, the furthest back, is open, so somewhat functional, in that it will allow hot air to exit. all of the stacks on left side are also open, to allow hot air to exit
Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 AM
orthobird

Wanted to share the baffling for the DA 100 inline and also how I installed the throttle servo, the choke servo, and the ignition units.

DA 100 inline, baffling shroud is also installed.

the forward carburetor choke arm has to be machined down to help clear the left cowl.

Plenum in place for the baffling

front air entry with the air diverter plater in place

ignition units. The cylinders fire at 180 from each other.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 PM
orthobird

anyone know the tips or tricks to mount the wing on the fuselage?

Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Ixtrim

Separate the wings - out em on - put the wings together
Old 10-26-2020, 02:40 AM
orthobird

Originally Posted by Ixtrim
Separate the wings - out em on - put the wings together

that worked like a charm!!

Why did I not think of that!!

thank you
Old 10-26-2020, 02:42 AM
orthobird

Default Checking the CG

question to you all, how do you determine where the 7" back from leading edge of the root of the wing should be??

is this with wings separated and looking at the root of the wing?

or is this based on the fuselage side?

Last edited by orthobird; 10-26-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:49 AM
rbgetz

It's looking really good. I like that you have so much room under front cowl compared to my kolm takes up the whole this. I bet you'll be 10 lbs lighter then my setup. Once done, I'd like to know dry weight of the plane.

ROb
Old 10-30-2020, 04:25 PM
orthobird

Default GG CARF p51 CG and balance

White Rose prop washer, 6 ounces.

the CG point, 6" aft of LE at the root

balanced now. Using a KS spinner, weighs 15 ounces, and adding 4 pounds of scuba diving lead weights (3+1)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.